Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: DetUudslukkelige on June 24, 2007, 08:10:23 AM
I personally don't believe these romanticized views of people's final words,

Supposedly, Mahler's final deathbed utterance was MOZART .........

BachQ

Quote from: edward on June 24, 2007, 08:23:04 AM
Just to muddy the waters a bit, I'm an atheist and think that the Missa solemnis is certainly his greatest work for large forces. ;)

Yeah, the reason I love Missa has nothing to do with religion .........

Haffner

Quote from: D Minor on June 25, 2007, 07:48:21 AM
Supposedly, Mahler's final deathbed utterance was MOZART .........

Mozartl, or little Mozart. I guess Mahler had seen a vision of little Mozart playing the piano. Something one might find in a vision of heaven...imagined or not.

Bonehelm

Quote from: D Minor on June 25, 2007, 07:50:47 AM
Yeah, the reason I love Missa has nothing to do with religion .........

This is quite off-topic, but what the hey. D, is the excerpt from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in your signature arranged? Or is it the original organ score?

BachQ

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 25, 2007, 11:55:40 AM
This is quite off-topic, but what the hey.

Hey, any question regarding a composition in d minor is always within topic!  :D

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 25, 2007, 11:55:40 AM
is the excerpt from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in your signature arranged? Or is it the original organ score?

Very good question.  Although it is substantially similar to the original organ score, it is, in fact, a transcription / arrangement (not sure for what instrument(s)).

CLICK HERE AND THEN CLICK ON THE LINK TO OPEN PDF FILE

I actually prefer the full organ score, but I couldn't readily find one that fits within my signature ........  :'(  :'(

Bonehelm

Do you think pianoforte would be a wild guess? Concerning the fact that all the symbols and indications written on the arrangement can be possibly played on one. Especially the pedal...

MishaK

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 25, 2007, 02:03:57 PM
Do you think pianoforte would be a wild guess? Concerning the fact that all the symbols and indications written on the arrangement can be possibly played on one. Especially the pedal...

It looks very much like the piano transcription that I played.

Bonehelm

Quote from: O Mensch on June 25, 2007, 03:30:37 PM
It looks very much like the piano transcription that I played.

There you go.  ;)

BachQ

BachQ

scottscheule

My current listening project is O'Conor's complete Beethoven sonatas.  I really love them all--though some are a bit disappointing next to others.  Who's got a favorite Beethoven piano sonata, folks?

George

Quote from: scottscheule on July 06, 2007, 08:08:17 PM
My current listening project is O'Conor's complete Beethoven sonatas.  I really love them all--though some are a bit disappointing next to others.  Who's got a favorite Beethoven piano sonata, folks?

A very tough call, but I'd have to say Op. 110.

Maciek

BachQ

Who's got a favorite Beethoven piano sonata, folks?

Sonato No. 8 In C Minor, Op.13 "Pathetique
Sonato No.14 In C-Sharp Minor, Op.27 No.2 "Moonlight"
Sonata No. 17 In D Minor, op. 31 No. 2 "Tempest"
Sonato No.21 In C Major, Op.53 "Waldstein
Sonato No.23 In F Minor, Op.57 "Appassionata
Sonato No.28 In A Major, Op.101 
Sonato No.29 In B-Flat Major, Op.106 ("Hammerklavier")
Sonato No.30 In E Major, 109 
Sonato No.31 In A-Flat Major, Op.110 
Sonato No.32 In C Minor, Op.111 

Of all these, the Hammer is probably my favorite (thanks to the final movement), but I'm finding hidden treasures in op's 109, 110, and 111 ........  0:)

Scriptavolant

Who's got a favorite Beethoven piano sonata, folks?

Op. 109 absolutely.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: D Minor on April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

5. Do you consider Beethoven to be a "classical" (classical era) or "romantic" (romantic era) composer?

In the past I referred to Beethoven as a 'Quasi-Baroque Classicist', ie the forms are Classical but the emotion and sentiments to my mind harks back to an earlier time. Even Mozart at times sounds more Romantic than Beethoven to me, and certainly Beethoven's contemporaries like Weber were proto-romanticists in a different world from what Beethoven was doing.
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

M forever

Obviously, you have no clue at all what the (rather vague anyway) terms "baroque", "classical" or "romantic" actually mean. Those have nothing to do with what you perceive as their "emotional" content. Weber and Beethoven are ctually fairly close musically and also "emotionally" in many respects. Beethoven's dynamic treatment and development of ideas expressed through music doesn't "hark" back to anything at all. That actually made him a very "progressive" composer, and that also left a lo of traces in the compositional substance. Which is obviously a completely inaccessible subject for you since you apparently can even read music and understand simple musical parameters.

Yes, I know, you have all Beethoven recordings ever released, and also a Ferrari, but all that doesn't help you with your understanding of these things, obviously. You probably can't even pronounce Beethoven's name properly (no, it doesn't sound like "beetle" and "oven"). What a tragic love you have for that music, completely one-sided. You have never really listened to it.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: M forever on July 08, 2007, 01:34:13 AM
Obviously, you have no clue at all what the (rather vague anyway) terms "baroque", "classical" or "romantic" actually mean. Those have nothing to do with what you perceive as their "emotional" content. Weber and Beethoven are ctually fairly close musically and also "emotionally" in many respects. Beethoven's dynamic treatment and development of ideas expressed through music doesn't "hark" back to anything at all. That actually made him a very "progressive" composer, and that also left a lo of traces in the compositional substance. Which is obviously a completely inaccessible subject for you since you apparently can even read music and understand simple musical parameters.

Yes, I know, you have all Beethoven recordings ever released, and also a Ferrari, but all that doesn't help you with your understanding of these things, obviously. You probably can't even pronounce Beethoven's name properly (no, it doesn't sound like "beetle" and "oven"). What a tragic love you have for that music, completely one-sided. You have never really listened to it.

The above is all absolute nonsense, even the reference to the Ferrari, I made that story up for gullible obnoxious people like yourself. I mentioned nothing about Beethoven's dynamic treatment harking back to anything, I said this on the sentiment and emotional level only. Obviously the language of Beethoven is often quite different, though much of his late period output is heavily influenced by Baroque and even earlier sources. If you think Beethoven and Weber have anything musical in common you must be deaf, in fact Weber was highly critical of Beethoven's music.
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

M forever

That doesn't matter. They were both children of their time, and they have a lot of stylistical elements in common, the melodic structure, the tone of the music, even if thy chose to develop different techniques for their different aims.
But that is something which apparently totally eludes you. It is something that you can only understand if you develop a feeling for our culture which you obviously don't have, a deeper feeling for the idiomatic elements in music. Just like Goethe and Schiller are very different writers with very different styles, yet they have a lot in common - not surprisingly, since they came from the same cultural background (in case you didn't know, those were German writers).

Don

Quote from: Rod Corkin on July 08, 2007, 09:09:23 AM
If you think Beethoven and Weber have anything musical in common you must be deaf, in fact Weber was highly critical of Beethoven's music.

Then I must also be deaf.  When I listen to Weber, I often find similarities with Beethoven's music.