Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I'm surprised that you didn't like the Ghost Trio, give that one a try again.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on May 16, 2011, 10:38:56 AM
Any particular PT I should retry?

Give Op. 1, No. 3 a retry.  Also, not just the Ghost Trio, but both Opus 70 trios.  Also, I find the Variation Trios (I think there are 2 of them) are quite interesting indeed.

Also, the Clarinet Trio transcribed for Piano Trio is great.

The transcriptions of Symphony No. 2 and the Septet for piano trio are also exceptional!   :)

lisa needs braces

Most intriguing!

Beethoven's sketches of the first movement of the 9th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEj-_RqpMac

karlhenning

Gotta say, I am greatly enjoying the Harnoncourt 14-disc box (of course, I'm still making my [spotty] way through).  It may be the last Beethoven symphonies set I buy (something for which I am generally not at all in the market, and for my own characteristic reasons) but this Harnoncourt box, and the Vermeer Quartet box, were significant value added to my library.

DavidW

Cool Karl! :)  I was just watching Harnoncourt's Fidelio earlier... :)

not edward

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 16, 2011, 03:56:01 AM
Did Schnittke really write cadenze for the Beethoven Opus 61, or did I dream it? ; )
Yes. Pretty sure both Gidon Kremer and Ruggiero Ricci have recorded Schnittke's cadenzas. They're certainly different (not great sound on these videos).

http://www.youtube.com/v/yGRKUl4TrJU
http://www.youtube.com/v/LdMgTt4D-C8
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

The Opus 67 in this Harnoncourt box rawks!

DavidW

Wanderer

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2011, 06:06:56 AM
Gotta say, I am greatly enjoying the Harnoncourt 14-disc box (of course, I'm still making my [spotty] way through).  It may be the last Beethoven symphonies set I buy (something for which I am generally not at all in the market, and for my own characteristic reasons) but this Harnoncourt box, and the Vermeer Quartet box, were significant value added to my library.

That box is a sum of riches. Harnoncourt's Beethoven cycle has always been a great favourite and Kremer's way with the violin concerto {including Beethoven's superb cadenza for (violin, transcribed), piano & timpani} is very memorable; Aimard's lyrical renditions of the piano concertos are very fine, the triple concerto a hoot, the Missa Solemnis energetic and stately but not overbearing.

karlhenning

Aye, Tasos, this box is a beauty.  Not that my ears have become at all disloyal to the "big band" version of Masur & the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig (which, if "big," is hardly Hollywood Production) . . . it's all tasty.

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 03:58:23 AM
Aye, Tasos, this box is a beauty.  Not that my ears have become at all disloyal to the "big band" version of Masur & the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig (which, if "big," is hardly Hollywood Production) . . . it's all tasty.

It's good to have two contrasting versions.  btw my favorite (I think I already mentioned this before) in the set are the PCs with Aimard. :)

karlhenning

I actually started my survey of the box with the pf cti nos. 4 & 5 . . . sweet!

Guido

iTunes informs me that I haven't listened to any Beethoven Late String quartets since late 2009.  :o Remedying that immediately.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Brahmsian

Is it blasphemous for me to say that I find the Allegro con brio of Beethoven's 5th Symphony to be one of my least favorite and least interesting movements of all his symphonies?

Will I be cruxified?   :(

DavidW

I'll just pretend that you said most metal instead of least interesting. 8)

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 30, 2011, 06:28:10 PM
Is it blasphemous for me to say that I find the Allegro con brio of Beethoven's 5th Symphony to be one of my least favorite and least interesting movements of all his symphonies?

Will I be cruxified?   :(

Delusional, maybe. We forgive you. ;D ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Aye, 'tis but a passing phase, Ray . . . probably we've all had Op.67 overload at one time or another . . . .

Leon

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 31, 2011, 04:19:34 AM
Aye, 'tis but a passing phase, Ray . . . probably we've all had Op.67 overload at one time or another . . . .

I have been listening to LvB5 this month, a lot - going back and playing all my recordings of it.  Funny how that symphony may be a victim of its own success, but in listening to it again after a long hiatus I could not help but be struck by just how great the work is.

:)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Opus106 on August 30, 2011, 09:05:22 PM
Delusional, maybe. We forgive you. ;D ;)
Outstanding answer! Really good chuckle!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!