Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

Of course. They spoke the same language, as well as the same musical language, and both of them sound extremely "German", for lack of a better word, in their typical phrase structure, and there is also something plain and matter of fact to the general tone, something which they both have in common very much, and they develop complex statements from those simple elements. That totally mirrors the "feel" of the German language which is fairly plain and actually not that melodic as such, but it develops its melodic context from the very long and complex phrase structures. All that is mirrored very obviously in both Beethoven's and Weber's music, and that of many of their "lesser" contemporaries. Plus both of them tried to be "accessible", understandable, they wanted to be "popular" not necessarily in the modern sense of the word, but in the sense of speaking directly to the people. Which they both did very successful in their different ways, as we know.

scottscheule

Quote from: D Minor on July 07, 2007, 11:02:35 AM
Sonato No. 8 In C Minor, Op.13 "Pathetique" 
Sonato No.14 In C-Sharp Minor, Op.27 No.2 "Moonlight"
Sonata No. 17 In D Minor, op. 31 No. 2 "Tempest"
Sonato No.21 In C Major, Op.53 "Waldstein" 
Sonato No.23 In F Minor, Op.57 "Appassionata" 
Sonato No.28 In A Major, Op.101 
Sonato No.29 In B-Flat Major, Op.106 ("Hammerkiavier")
Sonato No.30 In E-Flat Major, 109 
Sonato No.31 In A-Flat Major, Op.110 
Sonato No.32 In C Minor, Op.111 

Of all these, the Hammer is probably my favorite (thanks to the final movement), but I'm finding hidden treasures in op's 109, 110, and 111 ........  0:)

A fine list.  My only quibble is, I believe the Op.109 is in E, not E-flat (I suppose you want everything as close to D minor as possible).

BachQ

Quote from: scottscheule on July 08, 2007, 06:27:16 PM
A fine list.  My only quibble is, I believe the Op.109 is in E, not E-flat

My God ........ how utterly reckless of me ........  >:D

BachQ

Quote from: scottscheule on July 08, 2007, 06:27:16 PM
(I suppose you want everything as close to D minor as possible).

YES!   :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: scottscheule on July 06, 2007, 08:08:17 PM
Who's got a favorite Beethoven piano sonata, folks?

When Hélène Grimaud is making love to Op.109, that's my favorite sonata. Otherwise, Op.110...and I still have a nostalgic attachment to the Pathétique, the first Beethoven Sonata I ever heard (Mom used to play it for me).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

scottscheule

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 09, 2007, 08:51:42 AM
When Hélène Grimaud is making love to Op.109, that's my favorite sonata. Otherwise, Op.110...and I still have a nostalgic attachment to the Pathétique, the first Beethoven Sonata I ever heard (Mom used to play it for me).

Sarge

Nothing to be ashamed of--famous pieces are famous for a reason. 

I like the Pastoral because I've worked at it a few times--or maybe I've worked at it a few times because I like it.  Every movement's a jewel.

I've also got an attachment to the quirky No.18.  Quite a scherzo.

Florestan

I still have a nostalgic attachment to the Pathétique, the first Beethoven Sonata I ever heard.

Sarge

Hey, here at this end it's exactly the same. :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

George

Sarge

Who do you like in Op. 110?

I love the comment about your Mom.  :)

I still have a very strong preference for the Appassionata sonata. The first and only time I heard it live, was in a small hall that literally felt like it was shaking during certain passages.

BachQ

Quote from: George on July 09, 2007, 06:35:03 PM
I still have a very strong preference for the Appassionata sonata. The first and only time I heard it live, was in a small hall that literally felt like it was shaking during certain passages.

The Appassionata certainly can be an amazing experience .........

Gilels Appassionata  mvt 1   

Rubinstein Appassionata mvt. 1     

scottscheule

Listening this time around, I'm developing some new faves--mainly because I've gotten bored of the old faves.

New fave 1: No.3 in C, Op.2/3:

What's this?  Some chromatic third relationships?  A sudden A-flat chord out of nowhere in the coda of the first movement (yes, I know, it's a deceptive cadence in the minor mode--still out of nowhere)?  E major for the second (with a flash of sudden C tonality towards the end?)

But the last two movements are the jewels, with a Bach invention-esque scherzo followed by a really fun rondo. 

New fave 2: No.6 in F, Op.10/2:

This is just fun.  There's a bee-bopping closing theme in the first movement, a Chopin-esque second in the parallel minor, and finally another Bach invention-esque Presto to close it.

New fave 3: No.7 in D, Op.10/3

The first movement is really fun from the start, with a complete organic feel borne of its four note motive.  It's in a very weird sonata-form, that seems to have one or two themes too many, balanced with a brief development, and a driving coda.

Second movement is gorgeously melodramatic.

Third movement is adequate, but the a fourth is killer rondo with a (constantly mutating) theme that is best described as an invitation to dance.

I'm still going through the early sonatas.  And the No.12 never did a lot for me--though I do like the II and IV movements.

karlhenning

Quote from: capod'uovoHe composed almost romantic symphonies.

Que

How would Beethoven's keyboard music sound on fortepiano?  :)

Check some clips that I have uploaded of Paul Komen's recordings here.

Q

BachQ

Quote from: Que on July 15, 2007, 07:17:13 AM
How would Beethoven's keyboard music sound on fortepiano?  :)

Check some clips that I have uploaded of Paul Komen's recordings here.

Q

Waldstein sounds very nice .........

Scriptavolant

Quote from: D Minor on June 01, 2007, 04:26:54 PM
Yeah, most of us need a collective C Major Mass shot in the arm: a very often neglected masterpiece.

This bad boy is a bargain:

I've got that CD. I'm listening to it these days, particularly focusing on the Gloria. Lately I'm reconciling with Beethoven.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Scriptavolant on July 19, 2007, 04:54:35 PM
I've got that CD. I'm listening to it these days, particularly focusing on the Gloria. Lately I'm reconciling with Beethoven.

What a horrible portrait of the great LvB...God why don't they stick with the "Heroic" one.

BachQ

Quote from: Bonehelm on July 19, 2007, 07:29:50 PM
What a horrible portrait of the great LvB...God why don't they stick with the "Heroic" one.

But what if that was how Beethoven actually looked?!  For all we know, that could be the most accurate portrait of LvB ever produced ..........  :o

Scriptavolant

It is known that Ludwig Van wasn't an Adonis really. I think that that portrait is realistical. Furthermore he was only 1,60 m (5 feet 3 inches) tall.

M forever

Quote from: D Minor on July 20, 2007, 12:10:57 PM
But what if that was how Beethoven actually looked?!  For all we know, that could be the most accurate portrait of LvB ever produced ..........  :o

As the most accurate portait of Beethoven is usually considered Klein's sculpture based on the life mask he made of his face in 1812.

George

Wow! Backhaus does look a lot like Beethoven: