Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Actually, George, I think you look a bit like Beethoven too!

George

Quote from: Maciek on July 24, 2007, 04:21:10 PM
Actually, George, I think you look a bit like Beethoven too!

0:)

Mozart

I feel a little strange starring at beethovens bust.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Mozart on July 24, 2007, 05:18:54 PM
I feel a little strange starring at beethovens bust.

That's a bit messed up  ;D

George

karlhenning

One consistent effect the Elgarwocky thread has on me, especially with these weird notions that Elgar's orchestration is the wonder of the West, is . . . I want to listen to Beethoven more  8)

scottscheule

Quote from: karlhenning on August 01, 2007, 05:04:48 PM
One consistent effect the Elgarwocky thread has on me, especially with these weird notions that Elgar's orchestration is the wonder of the West, is . . . I want to listen to Beethoven more  8)

He does make me curious about Elgar's works--but, as he's a minor composer, I'm afraid I won't be able to listen to him until bigger names are out of the way.

I'm partial to the Gardiner cycle of the Beethoven symphonies.

karlhenning

Quote from: scottscheule on August 01, 2007, 08:22:38 PM
--but, as he's a minor composer, I'm afraid I won't be able to listen to him until bigger names are out of the way.

I like your sense of humor!

karlhenning

Too bad corkin' Rod took off in a huff; he'd have plenty of sound-files to link of all the WoO's we need to wade through before we get to such also-rans as Elgar   8)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on August 01, 2007, 05:04:48 PM

Karl, my sentiments exactly.

BachQ

BachQ

This is a week old ...... and I'm sure it is infringing on someone's copyright, so get it while it's hot.

This symphony (and this performance) induce goosebumps.  Electrifying.

And notice the horseshit orchestration ...... Beethoven could have learned from Elgar.

LvB 7 Carlos Kleiber  (1st mvt pt. 1)    

2/4 (1st mvt pt. 2)     

3/4 (Presto)    

4/4 (finale)     

DetUudslukkelige

Quote from: D Minor on August 07, 2007, 09:55:32 AM
And notice the horseshit orchestration ...... Beethoven could have learned from Elgar.

And yet for some reason, I'm actually not unhappy that he didn't. :P Seriously, though, I think that video is enough to clear up any doubts that Beethoven was a good orchestrator. Or, at least, I don't know why it shouldn't. But while we're on the subject, has anyone heard Mahler's 1895 re-orchestration of Beethoven's 9th? Any opinions? I'm intrigued by the idea, and if I could choose one composer to do it, Mahler would be a good candidate, but I would like to hear what others think about it.
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther