Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DetUudslukkelige on August 07, 2007, 04:34:05 PM
And yet for some reason, I'm actually not unhappy that he didn't. :P Seriously, though, I think that video is enough to clear up any doubts that Beethoven was a good orchestrator. Or, at least, I don't know why it shouldn't. But while we're on the subject, has anyone heard Mahler's 1895 re-orchestration of Beethoven's 9th? Any opinions? I'm intrigued by the idea, and if I could choose one composer to do it, Mahler would be a good candidate, but I would like to hear what others think about it.

I have it on video by the Detroit Symphony / Jarvi. I gather Mahler used to work for them.

I like my Beethoven lean and mean. This is anything but that. Every part is doubled, tripled, quadrupled, whatever. It reeks of excess, IMO.

If you like music (any music) performed in Late Romantic, totally OTT style, this is a good launching off point. I wonder how Beethoven would have handled the tubas?   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

scottscheule

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 07, 2007, 04:48:57 PM
I have it on video by the Detroit Symphony / Jarvi. I gather Mahler used to work for them.

I like my Beethoven lean and mean. This is anything but that. Every part is doubled, tripled, quadrupled, whatever. It reeks of excess, IMO.

If you like music (any music) performed in Late Romantic, totally OTT style, this is a good launching off point. I wonder how Beethoven would have handled the tubas?   :)

8)

I heard Slatkin do the Mahler 'Eroica' and it didn't do much for me.  It lost some of its crispness.  But I prefer keeping things as close to the composer's intentions as possible.

Why are all of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas so damn good?  My recent discovery has been the second movement of the Op.111, a fascinating theme and variations.

Mozart

Mozart

Quote from: D Minor on August 07, 2007, 09:55:32 AM
This is a week old ...... and I'm sure it is infringing on someone's copyright, so get it while it's hot.

This symphony (and this performance) induce goosebumps.  Electrifying.

And notice the horseshit orchestration ...... Beethoven could have learned from Elgar.

LvB 7 Carlos Kleiber  (1st mvt pt. 1)    

2/4 (1st mvt pt. 2)     

3/4 (Presto)    

4/4 (finale)     

He is either having fun, or a seizure!

BachQ

Beethoven - Sonata No. 32 in C minor, 1st movt - Richter  http://www.youtube.com/v/ulvJU85U_gA

bhodges

Quote from: D Minor on August 15, 2007, 08:57:31 AM
Beethoven - Sonata No. 32 in C minor, 1st movt - Richter  http://www.youtube.com/v/ulvJU85U_gA

Hooray, you got it to work! :D

--Bruce

BachQ

Quote from: bhodges on August 15, 2007, 09:37:21 AM
Hooray, you got it to work! :D

--Bruce

Yes, thanks!  :D

(((NB: it does take about 15 seconds for the YOUTUBE image to load ..... )))

BachQ

Released on 8/14/2007

Richter The Master Vol 4 - Beethoven

1.  Sonata for Piano no 18 in E flat major, Op. 31 no 3 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Performer:  Sviatoslav Richter (Piano)
Period: Classical
Written: 1802; Vienna, Austria

2.  Rondo for Piano in C major, Op. 51 no 1 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: ?1797; Vienna, Austria

3.  Rondo for Piano in G major, Op. 51 no 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: ?1798; Vienna, Austria

4.  Sonata for Piano no 28 in A major, Op. 101 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: 1816; Vienna, Austria

5.  Trio for Piano and Strings no 7 in B flat major, Op. 97 "Archduke" by Ludwig van Beethoven

Performer:  Sviatoslav Richter (Piano), Mikhail Kopelman (Violin), Valentin Berlinsky (Cello)
Written: 1810-1811; Vienna, Austria

6.  Quintet for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn in E flat major, Op. 16 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Orchestra/Ensemble:  Moragues Woodwind Quintet members
Written: 1796; Vienna, Austria

BachQ

George

Oooooo!!!!!!!  :o

(thanks for the heads up)

BachQ

George

Hold on, now - One thing I just noticed, by looking at Trovar, it seems that the Beethoven that will soon be released on Decca is likely to be recordings that have been previously offered on Philips, which means that these are from late in his career.  :-\ I have the Beethoven sonatas from the Master set released previously and I find that they lack the youthful spark and drive found in Richter's earlier recordings. The recordings in the yellow "Master" set above are likely to be from 1986 (Rondos and Op. 101) and 1992 (Op. 31/3, Trio, and Quintet) so I expect it will be much of the same.  :-[

BachQ

This looks like an interesting release (released 8/14/2007)

1.  Symphony no 38 in D major, K 504 "Prague" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Conductor:  Rafael Kubelik
Written: 1786; Vienna, Austria

2.  Symphony no 2 in D major, Op. 36 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: 1801-1802; Vienna, Austria

3.  Symphony no 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica" by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: 1803; Vienna, Austria

4.  Leonore Overture no 3 in C major, Op. 72a by Ludwig van Beethoven

Written: 1805-1806; Vienna, Austria

5.  Symphony no 4 in E flat major, WAB 104 "Romantic" by Anton Bruckner

Period: Romantic
Written: Vienna, Austria

not edward

Quote from: George on August 16, 2007, 07:15:05 PM
Hold on, now - One thing I just noticed, by looking at Trovar, it seems that the Beethoven that will soon be released on Decca is likely to be recordings that have been previously offered on Philips, which means that these are from late in his career.  :-\ I have the Beethoven sonatas from the Master set released previously and I find that they lack the youthful spark and drive found in Richter's earlier recordings. The recordings in the yellow "Master" set above are likely to be from 1986 (Rondos and Op. 101) and 1992 (Op. 31/3, Trio, and Quintet) so I expect it will be much of the same.  :-[
I just checked. They are.

However, there's also a set with two Haydn sonatas (#24 & #52) and Beethoven's opp 14/1 (1963), 22 (1963), 26 (1966) & 90 (1965) which is much more promising.

The other issue this month is great news for Richter/Schubert fans (hello me!) in the form of a 1966 D575, a 1979 D840 and a 1989 D894.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

George

Quote from: edward on August 16, 2007, 07:25:11 PM
I just checked. They are.

:-[

However, there's also a set with two Haydn sonatas (#24 & #52) and Beethoven's opp 14/1 (1963), 22 (1963), 26 (1966) & 90 (1965) which is much more promising.

A set in the Master Series? That sounds MUCH better.

The other issue this month is great news for Richter/Schubert fans (hello me!) in the form of a 1966 D575, a 1979 D840 and a 1989 D894.

Richter's Schubert is superb! Which label is that on? I have heard the original recordings of those Schubert CDs on Philips and they are wonderful.  Where'd you get your info anyway?

not edward

Quote from: George on August 16, 2007, 07:43:05 PM
A set in the Master Series? That sounds MUCH better.
Yep. It's volume 6. Or 4. Whichever the unappealing one isn't, anyway.
Quote from: George on August 16, 2007, 07:43:05 PM
Richter's Schubert is superb! Which label is that on? I have heard the original recordings of those Schubert CDs on Philips and they are wonderful.  Where'd you get your info anyway?
That's volume 5 in the Master Series.

As for the info, a mixture of MDT and trovar.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

George

Quote from: edward on August 16, 2007, 07:44:41 PM
Yep. It's volume 6. Or 4. Whichever the unappealing one isn't, anyway.That's volume 5 in the Master Series.

As for the info, a mixture of MDT and trovar.

Yes, it looks like they were released in the states on Tuesday. I need to visit my local shop.  8)