Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

Quote from: James on April 19, 2007, 01:47:17 PM
My all time fave Beethoven work hands down is the 4th Piano Concerto.

Do you have a favorite recording of the 4th Piano Concerto?

George

Quote from: James on April 20, 2007, 12:51:35 PM
Arrau/Haitink

I like your style, James. That one is also my very favorite.  8)

op.110

Quote from: D Minor on April 19, 2007, 10:16:41 AM
Probably the most influential violin concerto ever composed!  Brahms soaked it up.  I'm considering this 1960 stereo re-release (Yehudi Menuhin's legendary 1953 recording with Wilhlem Furtwangler is another great one) . . . . .

Haven't heard that recording, but Kyung Wha Chung's recording on Decca?? is one of my favorites.

I agree with the violin concerto being one of Beethoven's most influential works. Not only Brahms, but all other Violin Concertos have taken from Beethoven's one way or another.

My favorite Brahms VC recording is Oistrakh's, what about you, D minor?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: op.110 on April 25, 2007, 06:10:45 PM
Haven't heard that recording, but Kyung Wha Chung's recording on Decca?? is one of my favorites.

Chung has two - one on Decca (forget conductor) and a later one on EMI with Tennstedt leading the Concertgebouw.

Haven't heard the Decca but the EMI is a personal fave.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DavidW

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?

I think his music, and then followed closely by his hair style. >:D

2. What are your favorite works by Beethoven?  Least favorite?
His symphonies and string quartets are among my favorites, and my least favorites are his lieder.

3. Do you feel that Beethoven's personal challenges (deafness; nephew issues; etc) considerably heightened the emotional content of his music?
No, I think that it was the exactly sixty coffee beans that he used in his morning coffee was the most important contributing factor to the emotional content of his music, and also his absurd outbursts of rage. ;D

4. Any favorite recordings?  Of Symphonies? Piano Sonatas?
Blomstedt, Kempff.

5. Do you consider Beethoven to be a "classical" (classical era) or "romantic" (romantic era) composer?

It's just a label, certainly there are better things to do than argue about a label?

DavidW

Quote from: knight on April 06, 2007, 03:41:38 AM
I see we have put the same piece as top, but possibly next I would have to have the first of the middle period string quartets. I have the Quartet Italiano unfurling that staggering melody that opens the first movement.

Mike

I love that melody! :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2007, 07:18:42 PM

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?

I think his music, and then followed closely by his hair style. >:D

So can we trace the influence of Beethoven's hair style on later generations? ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DavidW

Quote from: donwyn on April 25, 2007, 07:23:43 PM
So can we trace the influence of Beethoven's hair style on later generations? ;D

That was when Beethoven scholars finally realized that they need to transition to a more fast paced field of study. ;)

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on April 25, 2007, 07:18:42 PM

4.  Piano Sonatas?
Kempff.

Stereo of mono David, as I have forgotten your preference here.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

val

QuoteD Minor

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?  Most "influential" works?

Anserwing also as a newbie: greatest achievements: the 32 piano Sonatas, the Quartets from the opus 59/1 to the opus 135, Missa Solemnis. Most influential work: the Symphonies.

Quote2. What are your favorite works by Beethoven?  Least favorite?

Favorites: Piano Sonatas opus 2/3, 10/3, 13, 28, 31/2, 53, 90, 106, 109, 110, 111. Diabelli Variations. 3rd cello Sonata. Trio opus 97. String Quartets opus 59/1 and 2, 95, 127, 130, 131, 132. Symphonies 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9. 4th Piano Concerto and violin concerto. Overtures Coreolano and Egmont. Missa Solemnis. An die ferne Geliebte.

Least favorite: Wellington Victory, 5th piano concerto, Gellert Lieder, piano Sonata opus 54.

Quote3. Do you feel that Beethoven's personal challenges (deafness; nephew issues; etc) considerably heightened the emotional content of his music?

No.

Quote4. Any favorite recordings?  Of Symphonies? Piano Sonatas? Concertos?  Chamber?  Overtures?

Piano Sonatas: opus 2/1 Arrau, 2/2 Brendel (VOX), 2/3 (Richter), 7 (Michelangeli), 10/1 Brendel, 10/2 Arrau, 10/3 Schnabel, 13 Serkin, 14/1 and 2 Schnabel, 22 (Arrau), 26 (Backhaus), 27/1 (Kempff), 27/2 (Serkin), 28 (Backhaus), 31/1 and 2 Gulda, 31/3 Kempff, 49/1 and 2 Gulda, 53 Arrau, 54 Backhaus, 57 Backhaus, 78 Kempff, 79 Gulda, 81A Serkin, 90 Solomon, 101 Arrau, 106 Gilels, 109 Serkin, 110 and 111 Gulda.
Diabelli Variations: Brendel.

Quartets opus 18 (Italiano Quartet), opus 59/1 and 3 (Lindsays), opus 59/2 Janacek, opus 74 (Italiano), opus 95 (Artemis), opus 127 (Italiano), opus 130 (Juilliard), opus 131 (Vegh or Italiano), opus 132 (Italiano) opus 135 (Busch).

Trio opus 97: Istomin, Stern, Rose.

Symphonies: 1, Toscanini, 2 Monteux, 3 Toscanini, 4 Walter, 5 Karajan, 6 Furtwängler, 7 Monteux, 8 Karajan, 9 Furtwängler.

Piano Conceros: 1 and 2, Serkin/Ormandy, 3 Arrau/Haitink, 4 Gilels/Ludwig, 5 Kempff/van Kempen

Violin Concerto: Grumiaux/van Beinum.

Overtures: Karajan BPO.

Missa Solemnis, Klemperer. The Missa opus 86 by Gardiner.

Lieder, Fischer-Dieskau, Moore.

Fidelio: Ludwig, Vickers, Klemperer.

Quote5. Do you consider Beethoven to be a "classical" (classical era) or "romantic" (romantic era) composer?

I consider Beethoven the greatest musician in History.

DavidW

Quote from: Bill on April 25, 2007, 08:56:00 PM
Stereo of mono David, as I have forgotten your preference here.

Mono is a bit better.  The piano sound is more natural and the playing more passionate. :)

George

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2007, 12:16:35 PM
Mono is a bit better.  The piano sound is more natural and the playing more passionate. :)

Indeed it is Bogey Bill!  :)

Bogey

Quote from: George on April 26, 2007, 12:21:25 PM
Indeed it is Bogey Bill!  :)

What the............................?  Oh.  So, the question is now for me spend toward finishing Schnabel on the Pearl label, or hit the Kempff mono set?  And do not say, "Both!" George, I get that enough from Harry! ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bill on April 26, 2007, 06:42:55 PM
What the............................?  Oh.  So, the question is now for me spend toward finishing Schnabel on the Pearl label, or hit the Kempff mono set?  And do not say, "Both!" George, I get that enough from Harry! ;D

No, I wouldn't do that to you buddy. My comparision of the stereo and mono in the late works has them split down the middle, so I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Then again, Kempff isn't one of my very favorites, so I am probably the wrong guy to speak with about this one.

Here's a quote from "The Recordings of Beethoven: as viewed by the critics from High Fidelity:"

"If pressed for a choice, I would urge aqusition of Kempff I [mono.] These older performances may have more ups and downs than the later readings, but the ups are higher and the engineering has more solidity and impact. Kempff II [stereo] has the advantage of stereophony, ready availability and a separate disc format."

Another from The Third Ear Guide to Classical:

"Most connisseurs opt for the earlier set, finding it fresher and more involving. It's indeed special, but so is the later set."

Haffner

Quote from: Don Giovanni on April 13, 2007, 12:53:44 PM
As fugues go, the only one that immediately pops into my head besides it is the Contrapunctus 14 from The Art of Fugue. Although, I'm sure there are many other great fugues.

I actually happen to like a performance of the Grosse Fuge that most don't: the Emersons! Plenty of energy...maybe a bit too much for alot of people. Love the Takacs and the Vegh as well (probably the Vegh best these days, George converted me).

I'm very weird, when I think fugue, for some reason the finale of the "Jupiter" springs up (even though I don't think it's at all a "proper fugue".)

karlhenning

Rest easy, Andy, nothing weird about that!

Haffner

1. What do you think are among Beethoven's greatest achievements?  Most "influential" works?
Anything after 1801.         

2. What are your favorite works by Beethoven?  Least favorite?

Op. 132. In my opinion, there's never been anything approaching the "Hymn of Gratitude".

That, and Mozart's "Jupiter", have for me never been eclipsed.

Least favorite: The Wellington "thing".  And though many resent me for this, I STILL don't "get" the 3rd movement of the 9th Symphony.

3. Do you feel that Beethoven's personal challenges (deafness; nephew issues; etc) considerably heightened the emotional content of his music?         Same as with practically any great artist.

Haffner

Probably the most influential violin concerto ever composed!  Brahms soaked it up.  I'm considering this 1960 stereo re-release (Yehudi Menuhin's legendary 1953 recording with Wilhlem Furtwangler is another great one) . . . . .

I love this recording!

karlhenning

Probably the most influential violin concerto ever composed!

Paging Gurn, white courtesy telephone, please!

OTOH, this is his Bistro.

Gurn, cancel that engagement for a second opinion  ;D

BachQ

Quote from: op.110 on April 25, 2007, 06:10:45 PM

I agree with the violin concerto being one of Beethoven's most influential works. Not only Brahms, but all other Violin Concertos have taken from Beethoven's one way or another.

My favorite Brahms VC recording is Oistrakh's, what about you, D minor?

Chung's is easily among the best modern recordings.  In addition to Menuhin / Furtwangler (1953 mono), some stereo recordings for the Beethoven VC that come to mind as being first-rate:

Stern / Barenboim / NYPO (1975)
Stern / Bernstein / NYPO (stereo)
Oistrakh/Cluytens/ Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise (1958 stereo)
Chung / Tennstedt / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (1992 stereo / EMI)
Perlman / Giulini (1980 stereo)
Heifetz / Munch / Boston SO (1955 stereo)
Szeryng / Haitink / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (1973 stereo)
Schneiderhan / Jochum / BPO (1962 stereo / DG)
Francescatti / Walter / Columbia Sym Orch (stereo)
Grumiaux / C. Davis / Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam (1974 stereo / Philips)
Hahn / Zinman / Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (1998 stereo / Sony)