Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BachQ

The Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen with Paavo Järvi live in Minato Mirai, Yokohama, Japan on May 26th 2006. Beethoven Symphony No.3 (Eroica), 1st Movement - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/v/9XL2ha18i5w

Eroica mvt 1 pt 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrb6iEFNS8

DavidW

I'm surprised, I thought that Jarvi liked slow, but this is fairly zippy for him, it's pretty good.  Not as fiery as I would like though, but I enjoyed it, thanks D. :)

BachQ

On a more serious note:  Family Guy disco dance to LvB 5

http://www.youtube.com/v/lp_oa4Fztfg

BachQ

Two new LvB complete symphony sets will be released tomorrow (9/11)

Beethoven: Symphonies / Mackerras, Et Al
Release Date: 09/11/2007   Label: Hyperion   Catalog: 44301   Number of Discs: 5
Composer:  Ludwig van Beethoven
Performer:  Janice Watson,  Catherine Wyn-Rogers,  Stuart Skelton,  Detlef Roth
Conductor:  Sir Charles Mackerras
Orchestra/Ensemble:  Scottish Chamber Orchestra,  Philharmonia Orchestra,  Edinburgh Festival Chorus

Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies / Mikhail Pletnev, Et Al
Release Date: 09/11/2007   Label: Deutsche Grammophon   Catalog: 000966502   Number of Discs: 5
Composer:  Ludwig van Beethoven
Performer:  Angela Denoke,  Marianna Tarasova,  Endrik Wottrich,  Matthias Goerne
Conductor:  Mikhail Pletnev
Orchestra/Ensemble:  Russian National Orchestra,  Moscow Chamber Chorus

On sale for $54.99 at Archiv Music ! ! ! ! !

karlhenning

That's not the only two complete sets this year, is it!  8)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 11:25:25 AM
That's not the only two complete sets this year, is it!  8)

LvB complete symphony cycles are such a rare treat that it seems to be that infrequent .........

Florestan

Just a stupid question from a Beethoven lover: do we need yet another set of LvB's symphonies when there are so many composers (dead or alive) out there who would deserve better?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

mahlertitan

interestingly, unlike other composers (e.g. Mahler, Bruckner) i am very satisfied with just ONE Beethoven cycle, i mean, what else is there to listen to?

BachQ

Quote from: Florestan on September 10, 2007, 10:04:43 PM
Just a stupid question from a Beethoven lover: do we need yet another set of LvB's symphonies when there are so many composers (dead or alive) out there who would deserve better?

Apparently, there is an endless list of conductors who feel that their novel, original interpretations of LvB's 9 symphonies will substantially contribute to the completely saturated LvB symphonic discography .........  I assume that these conductors feel the need to fill a void where none exists ......... Or to "prove" themselves ......... In any case, these symphony cycles sell well, and on that basis alone, they will continue to be churned out like baby rabbits .........

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on September 10, 2007, 10:04:43 PM

Beethoven pays the bills, let's put it that way.

BachQ

prémont

Quote from: D Minor on September 11, 2007, 03:14:39 AM
Apparently, there is an endless list of conductors who feel that their novel, original interpretations of LvB's 9 symphonies will substantially contribute to the completely saturated LvB symphonic discography .........  I assume that these conductors feel the need to fill a void where none exists ......... Or to "prove" themselves ......... In any case, these symphony cycles sell well, and on that basis alone, they will continue to be churned out like baby rabbits .........

We might in all probability easily be able to overcome the problems of life without Pletnev´s LvB set. But I think Mackerras set will turn out to be one of the most rewarding sets for years, and I am certainly eager to acquire it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: premont on September 23, 2007, 07:07:39 AM
We might in all probability easily be able to overcome the problems of life without Pletnev´s LvB set. But I think Mackerras set will turn out to be one of the most rewarding sets for years, and I am certainly eager to acquire it.

As you should be. It is one of the best cycles of recent years and a joy to listen to. Since I have little or no interest in "historic" recordings, I am always delighted when modern recording comes along that reaches high standards. This one does, IMO.  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings - Hamburg SO / Springer - Tchaikovsky Serenade in C for Strings Op 48 2nd mvmt - 02
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 23, 2007, 07:12:09 AM

As you should be. It is one of the best cycles of recent years and a joy to listen to. Since I have little or no interest in "historic" recordings, I am always delighted when modern recording comes along that reaches high standards. This one does, IMO.  :)

Perhaps I should give my set another listen, but I find Mackerras too "light."  :-\

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 23, 2007, 07:16:11 AM
Perhaps I should give my set another listen, but I find Mackerras too "light."  :-\

For a modern set, have you tried Barenboim?

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2007, 07:21:14 AM
For a modern set, have you tried Barenboim?

Oh yeah, he's excellent.  8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 23, 2007, 07:12:09 AM

Gurn,

Is this the new Mackerras set on Hyperion you're referring to? Is it radically different than his earlier EMI set?

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mark

The new Mackerras cycle is (perhaps unsurprisingly for some) highly praised by BBC Music magazine. The only reservation voiced by reviewer, Michael Tanner, was that there is a marked difference between the sound of the first eight symphonies and the ninth. To quote him: 'No doubt the contrast between the sometimes rasping austerity of the previous symphonies and the glow of the Ninth was intentional, but I could have done with more of the latter in, say, the acrid first movement of the Eroica.' He concludes by saying: 'I find Haitink extraordinarily impressive, while Zinman and Mackerras have a great deal in common ... I would suggest both Haitink and this new set, or Zinman's.' To me, that's a clear signal that I needn't bother with the new Mackerras recordings, as I have the Haitink, and recently acquired the Zinman cycle.

prémont

A comparation between Zinman and the old Mackerras EMI set (which at the moment is my all favoured version - HIP or not HIP) turns clearly out in favour of Mackerras, so I am going to acquire the second Mackerras set too. My question is now : Do I need the Haitink (I suppose you are talking about the live set vith LSO), what are the virues of this set comparared to e.g. Zinman?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν