Rodion Shchedrin (b. 1932)

Started by Maciek, December 30, 2010, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

The First Symphony is excellent - I rate it alongside Boris Tchaikovsky's 3rd Symphony 'Sebastopol'. I must have another listen to the Second Symphony (Chandos) which has never appealed to me so much. I wish that Chandos would record the 1st Symphony as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 22, 2022, 10:15:06 PM
The First Symphony is excellent - I rate it alongside Boris Tchaikovsky's 3rd Symphony 'Sebastopol'. I must have another listen to the Second Symphony (Chandos) which has never appealed to me so much. I wish that Chandos would record the 1st Symphony as well.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you that the 2nd symphony is a letdown, especially after the brilliance of the 1st. I hate to say this, but we might not get any forthcoming Shchedrin recordings until after the composer's passing. Honestly, his music needs a champion and I don't really see anyone being one at this juncture.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2022, 06:07:32 AM
Yeah, I definitely agree with you that the 2nd symphony is a letdown, especially after the brilliance of the 1st. I hate to say this, but we might not get any forthcoming Shchedrin recordings until after the composer's passing. Honestly, his music needs a champion and I don't really see anyone being one at this juncture.

Not to mention we haven't yet received a recording of his 3rd Symphony (2000)!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 27, 2022, 11:57:59 AM
Not to mention we haven't yet received a recording of his 3rd Symphony (2000)!

There are a vast amount of works that need recordings. Just look at Martinů's or Koechlin's oevure for example.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 27, 2022, 12:04:43 PM
There are a vast amount of works that need recordings. Just look at Martinů's or Koechlin's oevure for example.

Yeah, Koechlin's two numbered symphonies are a rather major omission in the catalogue. I think Martinu's been quite well served, though. Toccata Classics has dug up a bunch of his early orchestral works, some of which (such as the tone poem Vanishing Midnight) are quite excellent.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 27, 2022, 12:11:51 PM
Yeah, Koechlin's two numbered symphonies are a rather major omission in the catalogue. I think Martinu's been quite well served, though. Toccata Classics has dug up a bunch of his early orchestral works, some of which (such as the tone poem Vanishing Midnight) are quite excellent.

Not to sound condescending, but have you actually looked at Martinů's oeuvre? There are some glaring omissions in his ballets for example: Le jugement de Paris and The Strangler. Istar has never been issued on CD --- there's an older Supraphon LP, but I don't think it's the complete work. Several of his operas also haven't seen the light of day either like Theatre Behind the Gate or Tears of the Knife. I'm probably forgetting several other works, but as a fanatic of this composer, there are many more works to uncover that no one has heard.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 27, 2022, 12:32:30 PM
Not to sound condescending, but have you actually looked at Martinů's oeuvre? There are some glaring omissions in his ballets for example: Le jugement de Paris and The Strangler. Istar has never been issued on CD --- there's an older Supraphon LP, but I don't think it's the complete work. Several of his operas also haven't seen the light of day either like Theatre Behind the Gate or Tears of the Knife. I'm probably forgetting several other works, but as a fanatic of this composer, there are many more works to uncover that no one has heard.

I'm sure you're right, John. ;) As for myself, there's enough Martinu recordings in the catalogue to last me multiple lifetimes. Unlike you, I need to take Martinu in small doses or else his works all start to sound too similar to me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 28, 2022, 07:40:22 AM
I'm sure you're right, John. ;) As for myself, there's enough Martinu recordings in the catalogue to last me multiple lifetimes. Unlike you, I need to take Martinu in small doses or else his works all start to sound too similar to me.

And this is a problem with composers who produced a lot of music. As I mentioned with Martinů, he was a composer that didn't edit anything. He composed everything in his mind and put it straight to paper. Villa-Lobos would work on 4-5 compositions simultaneously and Milhaud was never found not composing. It's amazing that they were able to achieve such distinctive voices while composing one work after another.

Roy Bland

26 choral pieces recorded (cd) Yurlov choir has its own label     http://choir-capella.ru/en/kontaktyi