Artur Schnabel

Started by Mandryka, April 07, 2009, 10:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: mjwal on January 28, 2011, 10:48:37 AM
Yes,I have it (not here at the moment) - I found it hard to attend to properly because of noise and distortion, especially in op.78.

Totally.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

mjwal

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2011, 12:34:21 PM
Probably -- I like the drama and the moment when times stands still about three quarters of the way through. All the others I can think of are flawed (I like Goldberg and Ferras  more than most other violinists,  but  Balsam and Barbizet not as much as many other pianists.)

Richter+Kagan in Op 78 special though.
I'd take that as my preferred modern recording of the work, too.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Bogey

Now playing, and enjoying, I might add:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Since Schnabel's been getting so much airtime in the Beethoven Sonata thread, I thought I'd give his thread a gentle bump.

Quote from: Mandryka on February 08, 2011, 01:35:53 AM
Is there anyone interested in exploring Schnabel's recordings a bit more closely using this forum? You know the sort of thing: choosing a piece (Schubert or Beethoven or Bach or Mozart, concerto, chamber solo: -- I don't mind)  to listen to and posting reactions, whatever they may be.

Good idea. Anyone want to suggest a work to begin with?

early grey

A third volume of the Beethoven Sonata Series, Volume 4, to complement Volumes 2 and 11, is available on my website
              www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk
                                                                            Volume 11 comprises Sonatas 4 and 16, Volume 2 sonatas 9,13 and 30 and the latest volume has Sonatas 2,14 ( not given as  "Moonlight" on the labels) and 26 which is titled "Les Adieux" . You need to follow "Transcriptions of 78 rpm records" and then "Classical".

mjwal

But, Early, Op.81a is "Les Adieux", not Op.90 (which is quite different from the one on your site). By the way, I just love the jazz on your site - very good transfers! I haven't listened to any of the other classical stuff yet, but I assume the same high standards apply.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

RJR

"Despite the fact that Schnabel never performed contemporary music, his own music is extremely modern and individualistic, and greatly influenced his piano playing. The plasticity of phrase and timing that he is so known for in Beethoven is seen clearly in his compositional concerns, which led him to write totally unbarred music, as well as music of extreme rhythmical sophistication."
- Paul Zukofsky

early grey

Apologies for my error,mjwal, my eye slid down to the Opus number for the following Sonata in my Urtext edition on the page where all Sonatas are listed with the opening  bars.

George

Decided to try and listen to as much as I can in the "unheard pile" over the next few weeks. This one popped out at me tonight. Unfortunately, Music and Arts (Maggie Payne is credited) has once again moved too much of the noise. No sparkle in the tone, but luckily the performances (at least the Schumann, haven't got to the Schubert yet) are great enough to shine through. Here's a link to the Classics Today review.

Mandryka

A complete edition of Schnabel's recordings for EMI, in special transfers, was published in 25 volumes (about 30 CDs) by Shinseido with EMI in Japan. This has been hard to find but has been recently uploaded oon a blog called ahhfwww. The quality of the transfers is the best I have heard ever. There is some stuff which I have never heard before too -- Beethoven's Op 119 bagatelles, a CD of Schubert duets with Carl Ulrich Schnabel.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2011, 07:55:00 AM
A complete edition of Schnabel's recordings for EMI, in special transfers, was published in 25 volumes (about 30 CDs) by Shinseido with EMI in Japan. This has been hard to find but has been recently uploaded oon a blog called ahhfwww. The quality of the transfers is the best I have heard ever. There is some stuff which I have never heard before too -- Beethoven's Op 119 bagatelles, a CD of Schubert duets with Carl Ulrich Schnabel.

I was also impressed with those transfers but have since decided that I prefer the Naxos. .aybe I should listen again, but I recall that the Naxos had more high frequency info.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 02, 2011, 08:25:09 AM
I was also impressed with those transfers but have since decided that I prefer the Naxos. .aybe I should listen again, but I recall that the Naxos had more high frequency info.

I ddn't compare with Naxos -- I only have a couple of their Cds. But I thought it was much tighter in the lower registers than Pearl.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2011, 09:01:50 AM
I ddn't compare with Naxos -- I only have a couple of their Cds. But I thought it was much tighter in the lower registers than Pearl.

Definitely, and much less noisy too. Though I feel they went too far with the noise reduction.

Coopmv

Quote from: George on August 02, 2011, 08:25:09 AM

And these Schnabel recordings on Naxos Historical were mostly reconstructed/ remastered by MOT ...   ;)

George

For those who want to hear samples of 8 different transfers of the Schnabel Beethoven Sonatas (including the newly added Musical Concepts sample), you can download them here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lvppl6vj4omdj