Zambello's ROH Giovanni.

Started by Brünnhilde forever, April 10, 2009, 07:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

"Zambello's dismal production" it was called by the Opera, (London) critic John Allison, and in my opinion, Mr. Allison is correct. - He usually is! -

But then there is the perfect Mozartian conductor Charles Mackerras with the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, plus a cast, flawless from the unknown extra to the star Simon Keenlyside turning this opera into an exciting evening. The three ladies were a joy to listen to, and to watch too, Donna Anna: Marina Poplavskaya; Donna Elvira: Joyce DiDonato and Zerlina: Miah Persson.

Kyle Ketelsen had fun partnering the Don as Leporello and Eric Halverson a Commendatore more frightening than most I have seen. Ramón Vargas the tenor I find so very Italian/Verdian, received well-deserved sustained applause.

I can't right now remember the number of Giovannis I have seen with Simon Keenlyside and he never disappoints me; his baritone is so strong, never an off pitch sound and his total involvement in the character is perfect. What I do wonder about is his willingness to follow the directors instructions. I am not sure if it is the director musing: "I need a bare chest, let's see if we can get Keenlyside." Or if it's Keenlyside saying: "Before I get old, give me one more topless role". That's where Zambello comes in. Did Giovanni actually eat his dinner in his bloomers?

Summing it up: The music is perfect, and so is the entire cast. Ignore Zambello, it was not her day.

Brünnhilde forever

More from the ROH last year:

knight66

It does not look dull from the photos.

Lis, do you have a DVD of the Met production with Fleming and Terfel? If so, how do you rate it?

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

T-C

I received a few days ago the new ROH Don Giovanni, but haven't watched it yet.

Mike, you should have known better not to ask Lis about opera productions that have Renee Fleming in one of the leading roles. She is not exactly a Fleming fan...  ;)

But I like Fleming a lot, and I have the Met DVD you were referring to.

I think it is a very good conventional production of Don GIovanni with a big (non HIP) orchestral sound. From a musical point of view it is not perfect but so are all the other DVD version of Don Giovanni that I know... So it can be safely recommended to anyone who do not detest sumptuous lavish Zeffirelli productions and is not allergic to Fleming...

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: knight on April 11, 2009, 01:58:53 AM
It does not look dull from the photos.

Mike

Mike, the production was not dull per se, I had expected more from Zambello than an almost blank, metallic wall, one scene with a garish painted backdrop, - Keenlyside  rappelling up the wall - and the rest of the time nothing, - Vargas with his aria - . As I hope I made understood, Mackerras and his band, plus everybody in the cast, overcame splendidly all the shortcomings of Zambella's directions.

The Met production with Terfel and Fleming you ask about, is it Don Giovanni? Luv, I am not aware of one. My NWPR station does not broadcast Met operas, and here we have no access to those special movie theatre Met showings - Sirius? - .

Wendell_E

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on April 11, 2009, 07:20:28 AM
The Met production with Terfel and Fleming you ask about, is it Don Giovanni? Luv, I am not aware of one. My NWPR station does not broadcast Met operas, and here we have no access to those special movie theatre Met showings - Sirius? - .

It's from back in 2000 (I know you're not fond of such "historic performances" >:D), before the movie theatre showings.  It was released on DVD a few years ago:  http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Giovanni-Kringelborn-Furlanetto-Metropolitan/dp/B000787WZG
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Brünnhilde forever

Ahhhh, THAT one! Wendell, I had it, watched it and then sold it on Marketplace. I thought Mike was talking about a more recent performance.

Wendell, I have such a huge collection of LVDs and DVDs, I started selling all those issues I knew I would not watch again. Some I watched more than five times and then they had to make way for new productions, like this Zefferelli for the Peter Brook;D

Wendell_E

I gotta admit, I saw that 2000 Met Don Giovanni when it was telecast, and wasn't very impressed.  I may rent it from Netflix.  Some day.  After I've watched the dozen or so other versions Netflix carries.   ;D

Oooh.  Looking at what Netflix carries, I see they'll have the Wexford Festival production of Gazzaniga's Don Giovanni Tenorio that's being released next week.  Cool.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Brünnhilde forever

Netflix carries the Peter Brook Don Giovanni? Wendell, humour me, rent it and then tell me your opinion of it - please!  :-*

knight66

Thanks folks. I had a feeling it might be uncomfortably like the Karajan-dead-in-the-water production that I bought but have no so far managed to drag myself all the way through.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on April 11, 2009, 09:11:12 AM
Netflix carries the Peter Brook Don Giovanni? Wendell, humour me, rent it and then tell me your opinion of it - please!  :-*

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be one of the dozen versions they carry.  But I'll keep an eye out, in case they do get it.