Ferneyhough's Plough

Started by snyprrr, September 29, 2009, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

As far as I know, this is the only commercial recording with Boulez conducting Ferneyhough's music:

Funerailles is given here in both "versions," so you can hear two takes on similar ideas in short succession. I'm no expert in Ferneyhough's music, but this piece seems far less densely packed than his usual. A lot of frenzied activity, for sure, but also lots of musical "space," and some fine writing for harp.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Old San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on March 27, 2021, 02:28:52 AM
Long interview

https://www.youtube.com/v/kI7cpFEBwCE&t=97s&ab_channel=SamuelAndreyev

I found that one a couple of weeks ago and listened to some of it.  Was the last syllable of his name is pronounced "hoe", and not "how"?

Iota

Quote from: Old San Antone on March 27, 2021, 04:53:50 AM
Was the last syllable of his name pronounced "hoe", and not "how"?

Yes. When I first came across Ferneyhough, I assumed Ferney-huff until somebody put me right.

brewski

To mark Ferneyhough's 80th birthday, Time and Motion Study II (1973-76) with cellist T.J. Borden, and electronics by James Bean and Paul Hembree, recorded at the University of California San Diego.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)