Vaino Raitio

Started by schweitzeralan, April 18, 2009, 07:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schweitzeralan

Undoubtedly one of my very favorite, but non prolific Finnish composer, is Vaino Raitio. I do have recordings of the few available titles; however, I don't have access to his "Moonlight on Jupiter."  I have the score of his one piano work called "Four Color Poems,"  a difficult piece to pull off by an amateur.  What I do cull are some wonderful individual moments, or sections. Is there anyone out there who either knows of his work or who may know how to acquire recordings of th cited titles? Now there is one composer who I had hoped would have composed more.  Wonderful blends of color and impressionistic nuances.  Scriabin was a major influence. Admixture of expressionism and impressionism.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: schweitzeralan on April 18, 2009, 07:36:08 AM
Undoubtedly one of my very favorite, but non prolific Finnish composer, is Vaino Raitio. I do have recordings of the few available titles; however, I don't have access to his "Moonlight on Jupiter."  I have the score of his one piano work called "Four Color Poems,"  a difficult piece to pull off by an amateur.  What I do cull are some wonderful individual moments, or sections. Is there anyone out there who either knows of his work or who may know how to acquire recordings of th cited titles? Now there is one composer who I had hoped would have composed more.  Wonderful blends of color and impressionistic nuances.  Scriabin was a major influence. Admixture of expressionism and impressionism.

Too bad; another unknown favorite.  I guess I'll have to hire someone to play and record the Color Poems.

Dundonnell

Sorry...never heard any Raitio but you have tweeked my interest.

However, the Ondine disc advertised on Amazon which looked most attractive to me appears to have been deleted by the manufacturer and is too expensive at the Amazon price-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fant-Poetica-Estatica-Swa/dp/B0000246O6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240265545&sr=1-2

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 20, 2009, 02:15:39 PM
Sorry...never heard any Raitio but you have tweeked my interest.

However, the Ondine disc advertised on Amazon which looked most attractive to me appears to have been deleted by the manufacturer and is too expensive at the Amazon price-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fant-Poetica-Estatica-Swa/dp/B0000246O6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240265545&sr=1-2

Thanks for the reply.  I do have that CD recording of several of his orchestral works.  All excellent.  Unfortunately "Moonlight On Jupiter" is not included.  I also have "Queen of the Flowers," a later, more "modest" composition which was apparently realized after the composer had learned that his erstwhile works were too modernist for the public.  So I read. I know a musician from Oberlin; I'll find out if there is any interest there in regards to playing the four color piano pieces. 

springrite

Did we not talk about Raitio when you first came to GMG? Or maybe it was I who mentioned his name while on a thread you started about another neglected composer. Anyhow, I only have one CD of his music (PAN, etc.), which is very enjoyable. I would certainly like to hear more of this composer's work.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: springrite on April 21, 2009, 05:20:20 AM
Did we not talk about Raitio when you first came to GMG? Or maybe it was I who mentioned his name while on a thread you started about another neglected composer. Anyhow, I only have one CD of his music (PAN, etc.), which is very enjoyable. I would certainly like to hear more of this composer's work.

I have a recording of several orchestral works he composed during the 1920's.  "Queen of the Flowers" is also recorded and has several good sections, but the earlier group of works was conceived and perpetuated via an impressionistic, colorful ambience supported by Scriabinesque influences.  He apparently was not a prolific composer and is often paired with two other contemporary Finnish composers: Pingoud and Merikanto.  The Finish musical heritage is a wonderful one, as the Finns were very serious about the discipline, starting with Sibelius and his teacher Armas Jarhenfelt.

abidoful

I've missed this one totally!
Yes, Raitio. I had a Raitio phase couple of years ago after I read an interesting article about him in the Suomen Musiikin historia 3 (History Of Finnish Music) by Erkki Salmenhaara. I agree everything you wrote about his music being part impressionistic and part expressionistic, little scriabinisque and very chromatic, basicly free-tonal. (I hope I don't mix terms here, maybe it's actually post-tonal) Of course his music wasn't that right from the beginning and there is quite an extensive body of works (a symphony, a piano concerto,a string quartet, and a violin sonata among other things) in the rachmaninovian late romantic vein.

Since I'm a Finn, I have easier access to his works than foreigners. The problem is that many of his scores aren't published and not even recorded. Did you know he composed operas? In the 1930's he devoted much of his time creating operas. In the sibelius Academy I have seen many of his scores which are copies of his original manuscripts. I'm pretty sure that Kuutamo Jupiterissa (Moonlight in Jupiter) has been published but there's no commercial recording of it, only a radio tape which again is available for listening only in Sibelius-Academy.

There are only few recordings I can recommend;
-Orchestral Works: Antigone, Fantasia poetica, The Swans etc. (most of his main orchestral works) ONDINE
-The String Quartet in g-minor (Savonlinna Quartett) MILS 0075

There appeared few years ago also a sheet music of his piano works. Charming pieces!

schweitzeralan

Great to know that there are others interested in Raitio.  As I have stated previously, I wish that many of his non recorded works were made available. I did pick up up his "Four Color Poems For Piano." Quite advanced for my level of playing the piano; however, there are moments, or passages I can "dig put" and fully appreciate.

kyjo

Just wanted to revive this thread to say what a truly magnificent disc this is:

[asin]B0000246O6[/asin]

This fiery, spectacular music couldn't be farther removed from the cool Nordic reserve of Sibelius. Imagine the voluptuousness of Scriabin, the vibrant Impressionism of Ravel, and the ferocity of Bartok all rolled into one. The inexorable excitement and earthiness of these works often reminds me of Tveitt. Run, don't walk, to get this disc!!!!

Mirror Image

I agree, Kyle, that's a superb disc. My friend Karlo (North Star) turned me onto this composer. Good luck finding a copy of that recording though. I was lucky to have bought mine at exactly the right time.

vandermolen

The Swans is a super work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: kyjo on September 15, 2013, 08:56:09 AM
Just wanted to revive this thread to say what a truly magnificent disc this is:

[asin]B0000246O6[/asin]

This fiery, spectacular music couldn't be farther removed from the cool Nordic reserve of Sibelius. Imagine the voluptuousness of Scriabin, the vibrant Impressionism of Ravel, and the ferocity of Bartok all rolled into one. The inexorable excitement and earthiness of these works often reminds me of Tveitt. Run, don't walk, to get this disc!!!!
Just wanted to say that I've just bought this. It's a shame it's OOP, I remember hearing The Swans live a couple of years ago, that was amazing.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

I strongly recommend this CD. Not only does it feature a fine performance of Raitio's 'The Swans' (Vanska/Lahti SO - preferable to the Sarasate version I think) but it also features the wonderful 'White Reindeer Suite' by Einar Englund (which is otherwise unavailable as far as I can work out). It is a fine compilation CD and dirt cheap at under £2.00 on Amazon UK (second hand) or about £6.00 new:
[asin]B000027E4C[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 16, 2013, 03:08:52 PM
I strongly recommend this CD. Not only does it feature a fine performance of Raitio's 'The Swans' (Vanska/Lahti SO - preferable to the Sarasate version I think) but it also features the wonderful 'White Reindeer Suite' by Einar Englund (which is otherwise unavailable as far as I can work out). It is a fine compilation CD and dirt cheap at under £2.00 on Amazon UK (second hand) or about £6.00 new:
[asin]B000027E4C[/asin]

That's a great disc, Jeffrey. Are you familiar with Englund's other compositions? I'm a big Englund fan. :) He was my previous avatar.

North Star

B000027E4C
Quote from: kyjo on September 16, 2013, 03:18:35 PM
That's a great disc, Jeffrey. Are you familiar with Englund's other compositions? I'm a big Englund fan. :) He was my previous avatar.
Oh excellent, I'll possibly grab it later. I would survive without yet another Finlandia, though, not to speak of the national anthem and presidential march...
Englund is another excellent composer, the piano concertos are pretty good stuff, and the Great Wall Suite is good fun.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kyjo

Quote from: North Star on September 16, 2013, 04:38:59 PM
Oh excellent, I'll possibly grab it later. I would survive without yet another Finlandia, though, not to speak of the national anthem and presidential march...
Englund is another excellent composer, the piano concertos are pretty good stuff, and the Great Wall Suite is good fun.

Not to derail this thread, but have you heard Englund's symphonies? No. 2 (subtitled Blackbird) is an especially haunting, moving work. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 16, 2013, 03:18:35 PM

OT

Yes, I do like Englund's music, especially symphonies 1 and 2 and 'Great Wall of China'

The new erato

I strongly recommend this CD. Not only does it feature a fine performance of Raitio's 'The Swans' (Vanska/Lahti SO - preferable to the Sarasate version I think) but it also features the wonderful 'White Reindeer Suite' by Einar Englund (which is otherwise unavailable as far as I can work out).
I think you mean Saraste..... ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on September 17, 2013, 06:35:17 AM
I think you mean Saraste..... ;)

You are right of course. It is funny how I sometimes have a blindspot for names, for example writing 'Abravel' for the conductor 'Abravanel' for years.  ::)

Christo

[asin]B000027E4C[/asin]

Never realized that it alsoncontains Raitio's little tone poem, will certainly play it again.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948