Most expensive disc

Started by G. String, May 11, 2014, 02:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cournot

My most valuable discs, in the sense of commanding a high price on the open market today, are usually the rarer vinyl sets of jazz and such that I have as well as a variety of Gold Discs from DCC and other audiophile reissuers.  The limited edition set of Mosaic records I bought (Tina Brooks, Miles Davis, Mingus, Powell, etc.) are routinely traded for many hundreds of dollars.  And I have a few of the highly sought Mobile Fidelity, Mercury and Living Stereo discs that are in high demand when in good condition.  However, my most treasured discs are those that have special appeal to me because of some particular past event in my life.

Marc

Most expensive purchase per disc: I payed around 25 euro for a disc with organ works of Matthias Weckmann (1619-1674), played by Siegbert Rampe on the Virgin Veritas label and also for Beethoven's Trio's opus 70 (fortepiano, violin & cello) played by The Castle Trio, on the Smithsonian Institution label. Both were OOP/very difficult to get and I really really wanted them. (Oh, the greed!)

Most valuable at the moment (in money) are probably some volumes of the complete Bach organ editions by Ewald Kooiman (Coronata) and Bram Beekman (Lindenberg). I've already turned down some astronomical offers (at least 50 euro per disc). I consider them irreplaceable, and only when I'd get to beggary I might consider selling them.

stingo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 13, 2014, 06:34:45 AM
Pleiß-Athen is a poetic nickname for Leipzig, coined in the 17th century, I think, and meant to compare the city's cultural achievements to Athens. Die Pleiße is the name of a river. Angenehme means pleasant or agreeable. Other German cities did the same thing, combining a local river with the Greek city: Spree-Athen is Berlin. Saal-Athen is Jena.

Sarge

Thanks so much! I'd tried using online resources for translation but with no result.

Cato

Quote from: stingo on May 13, 2014, 08:20:09 AM
Thanks so much! I'd tried using online resources for translation but with no result.

Computers for translation have not impressed me.

Here is my contribution:

[asin]B000063X10[/asin]

Close to $20.00 for a single CD: I see it is down to c. $18.00.

But the CD is a marvelous experience: Wyschnegradsky is one of the heirs to Scriabin's style (Protopopov would be another).
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

EigenUser

I'd like the 1973 Graz Musikprotokoll LP, but it is $50... I guess it is a collector's item.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221178451624?lpid=82
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Marc

Quote from: stingo on May 13, 2014, 08:20:09 AM

They probably picked the title Das Angenehme Pleiß-Athen also to refer to Bach's secular cantata with the title Vergnügte Pleißenstadt BWV 216.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergnügte_Pleißenstadt,_BWV_216

Florestan

These are the most expensive CDs I I ever bought.

1 [asin]B0000041QH[/asin]

2. [asin]B002GUJ15W[/asin]

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: Cato on May 13, 2014, 06:42:22 AM
Many thanks to Sarge: Also, "Pleiss" is not native to German, but comes from "Sorbian" (with an "o") meaning "pond" or even "swamp."

Sorbian is a Western Slavic language.

Prussia and Prussians are not native Germans either. Gott erhalte Franz der Kaiser!

Just saying.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2014, 11:15:42 AM
These are the most expensive CDs I I ever bought.

1 [asin]B0000041QH[/asin]

2. [asin]B002GUJ15W[/asin]

Good singers in that Carmen though. Good bargain.

My most expensive "disk" was the L'Oiseau Lyre box of Complete Mozart Symphonies. I got it when it had just been released, and it was $155. That's actually a few dollars more than my Haydn 'Big Box' which I got for $145. Other than those 2 boxes, I think long and hard about spending more than $20 on anything. $19.95 is OK though... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2014, 11:24:04 AM
Prussia and Prussians are not native Germans either. Gott erhalte Franz der Kaiser!

Just saying.  ;D

Just to clarify; is any ethnicity actually native German? ???

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 13, 2014, 11:40:28 AM
Just to clarify; is any ethnicity actually native German? ???

Any contemporary ethnicity, including self-designated German, doubtful. Theoderic might qualify, though.  ;D ;D ;D

bhodges

The most I've ever paid for a disc is $35, a few years ago, for the recording below with Abbado and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. Since it's out of print - and I love the program as well as the artists - I didn't mind so much.

Sciarrino: Autoritratto nella notte (1982)
Ligeti: Six Bagatelles for Wind Quintet (1953)
Schoenberg: Kammersymphonie No. 1 (1906)

[asin]B0000012XS[/asin]

--Bruce

EigenUser

Quote from: Brewski on May 13, 2014, 12:17:31 PM
The most I've ever paid for a disc is $35, a few years ago, for the recording below with Abbado and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. Since it's out of print - and I love the program as well as the artists - I didn't mind so much.

Sciarrino: Autoritratto nella notte (1982)
Ligeti: Six Bagatelles for Wind Quintet (1953)
Schoenberg: Kammersymphonie No. 1 (1906)

[asin]B0000012XS[/asin]

--Bruce
Awww, "Six Bagatelles" is always the one that gets played. Never "Ten Pieces" :(.

I just heard the Schoenberg "Kammersymphonie No. 1" for the first time recently. Great piece!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

bhodges

Quote from: EigenUser on May 13, 2014, 12:26:27 PM
Awww, "Six Bagatelles" is always the one that gets played. Never "Ten Pieces" :(.

Quite true! Though I did just hear the Ten Pieces a few weeks ago, in a very good performance by Ensemble MidtVest. (I thought some in the audience were going to flee during some of the high frequencies.  ;))

Quote from: EigenUser on May 13, 2014, 12:26:27 PMI just heard the Schoenberg "Kammersymphonie No. 1" for the first time recently. Great piece!

Isn't it, though! This one is excellent, but there are many other equally excellent ones more widely available. (And I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone pay the $150 that Amazon is now asking for this disc.  ???)

--Bruce

Cato

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2014, 11:55:26 AM
Any contemporary ethnicity, including self-designated German, doubtful. Theoderic might qualify, though.  ;D ;D ;D

"Theodoric" always reminds me of this:

https://screen.yahoo.com/medieval-barber-000000006.html
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

EigenUser

Quote from: Brewski on May 13, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
Quite true! Though I did just hear the Ten Pieces a few weeks ago, in a very good performance by Ensemble MidtVest. (I thought some in the audience were going to flee during some of the high frequencies.  ;))
--Bruce
Yes haha, the ninth movement "Sostenuto e Stridente". The end of the 7th one with the toneless blowing always makes me laugh.

Quote from: Brewski on May 13, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
Isn't it, though! This one is excellent, but there are many other equally excellent ones more widely available. (And I can't in good conscience recommend that anyone pay the $150 that Amazon is now asking for this disc.  ???)
--Bruce
I saw it performed in the full orchestra arrangement on the Berliner digital concert hall. Lots of good stuff there.

Seriously, though. $150 is ridiculous for a single CD. There is this Schumann box set that I'd really like to get, but it is currently over $300 on Amazon! What a shame... :(

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 13, 2014, 01:08:06 PM
Yes haha, the ninth movement "Sostenuto e Stridente". The end of the 7th one with the toneless blowing always makes me laugh.
I saw it performed in the full orchestra arrangement on the Berliner digital concert hall. Lots of good stuff there.

Seriously, though. $150 is ridiculous for a single CD. There is this Schumann box set that I'd really like to get, but it is currently over $300 on Amazon! What a shame... :(
Sony has a Schumann box, and the individual EMI boxes are excellent.

Jo498

When I started buying CDs as a teenager in the late 1980s the choices at midprice or lower were often fairly limited. I usually got the more expensive stuff I wanted as birthday or Xmas present and after a few years I both learned that there were good-sounding pre-digital recordings and there were more and more option for less than full price. Among discs I paid full price for (30-35 Deutschmarks in 89-91) was the digital Karajan Brahms 1st and the clarinet quintets of Brahms and Mozart with Leister and Berlin colleagues.

The highest amounts I spent for single (multi-disc) sets were actually considered almost a bargain back then. This was probably about 150 Deutschmarks for the DG-set of Beethoven quartets with the Melos Quartet I bought in 1990 and (if I remember correctly) about 170 or 180 Marks for the remastered Solti-Ring in ca. 1997. (With inflation in mind these amounts are higher than the EUR 130 or so I paid for the huge Rubinstein box in late 2013.)

But I think I paid *never* more than "standard full price" (today about 20 EUR, or 30-40 Marks before 2002) for a single disc. Actually, I am pretty sure, I never paid more than 16-17 EUR since we have that currency and usually try to get even full price discs for less than 15 (if I want any full price item at all). To my recollection the most I paid for a single disc was EUR 16,70 for Schubert's D 887 & Beethoven's op.95 with the Hagen Quartet (used but almost like new). This one had been oop forever and Archiv-burned discs were offered around EUR 20. So I finally gave in when I could get a "real" disc around what a new full price disc would cost.
There might be a few rare discs I would pay up to EUR 20 for, but not more.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal