Recordings that you enjoy: Beethoven Symphony #9

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 26, 2009, 08:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Well, at the behest of many of you, I've been listening to a great variety of 9ths over the last 6 months. And many of them have been more than interesting, they've been very good indeed!

But this morning I pulled out an old friend that I have necessarily not listened to in a long while, since I only listen once a week. (Maybe I should listen more often?  But no... ;) ).

That would be this one:

Oh, I know, there is no possible criticism that I haven't heard already. ::)  Don't care about any of that; I really do like this version. The playing is as nearly precise as it is possible to get without slowing down to 'maestoso' throughout. The singing is excellent, and there is no lack of emotional energy either. It was a super experience! 

So now I'll go back to working with the traditional orchestras and enjoying them. But every now and again there is no harm coming from slipping off the beaten path and enjoying a little gem. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Zurich Tonhalle Orchestre/Zinman - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 4th mvmt pt 2 - Allegro assai - Alla marcia - Allegro ma non tanto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 07, 2010, 07:29:51 AM
Oh, I know, there is no possible criticism that I haven't heard already. ::)

Ha!  That's what you think! :D

My criticism: Zinman doesn't have enough hair to pull off the Beethoven 9th.  That is also why Paavo Jarvi's recording is lack luster. ;D

Following that logic Simon Rattle is the man for this symphony:

:)

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 07, 2010, 07:34:29 AM
Ha!  That's what you think! :D

My criticism: Zinman doesn't have enough hair to pull off the Beethoven 9th.  That is also why Paavo Jarvi's recording is lack luster. ;D

Following that logic Simon Rattle is the man for this symphony:

:)

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! :D

Aw crap. I knew I shouldn't have said that!  ::)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Anton Steck (Violin) \ Robert Hill (Pianoforte) - D 574 Sonata in A for Violin & Pianoforte 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

MishaK

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 10, 2010, 06:02:19 AM
And you guys never told me. In future you must be more definite when you rec "Barenboim" to me else I'll find out where you live. :D

To complicate things further, there is now also a Barenboim 9th with the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra (Denoke/Meier/Fritz/Pape, soloists):

BTW, amazon has it on sale for 8.95 right now. There is also a video version on DVD. Haven't heard this one yet, but at that price I may bite. I love his 2000 version.

bwv 1080

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mensch on November 09, 2010, 10:18:30 AM
To complicate things further, there is now also a Barenboim 9th with the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra (Denoke/Meier/Fritz/Pape, soloists):

BTW, amazon has it on sale for 8.95 right now. There is also a video version on DVD. Haven't heard this one yet, but at that price I may bite. I love his 2000 version.

Mensch,
I've been eyeing that East-West Divan one for a while now. Somewhere I read some flattering things about it, so it intrigues me. Probably take advantage of that price. :)

I like both of the other versions, it's hard to choose between them. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bwv 1080 on November 09, 2010, 10:48:36 AM
Fricsay and Norrington are my two favorites

Fricsay, absolutely! It is the oldest performance that I really enjoy.

Which Norrington? There is the PI one with the London Classical Players, and then the modern instruments with the SWR orchestra. I lean towards the period instruments, of course, with the exception of that tragic alla marcia section in the final movement (sorry, Sarge, I just can't reconcile it). :)

8)

bwv 1080

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 09, 2010, 11:03:36 AM
Fricsay, absolutely! It is the oldest performance that I really enjoy.

Which Norrington? There is the PI one with the London Classical Players, and then the modern instruments with the SWR orchestra. I lean towards the period instruments, of course, with the exception of that tragic alla marcia section in the final movement (sorry, Sarge, I just can't reconcile it). :)

8)

the Fricsay has the bonus of being in the Clockwork Orange soundtrack - Kubrick always had great taste in music

did not know there was a second Norrington recording, I was referring to the late 80s London Classical Players

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bwv 1080 on November 09, 2010, 11:24:01 AM
did not know there was a second Norrington recording, I was referring to the late 80s London Classical Players

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Leon

Odd that there's no Szell on your (rather long) list of recordings.  ;)

His is one of my favorite's, as well, as Gardiner and, recently, Paavo Jarvi (but his march may also be too fast for you).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on November 09, 2010, 11:49:28 AM

His is one of my favorite's, as well, as Gardiner and, recently, Paavo Jarvi (but his march may also be too fast for you).

I think there is just the one from 1963 (or 4?) on Sony. I didn't have that one when I started the list, and I guess I never got back to add it on. In any case, it is a very nice version that I have learned to like (with the older ones, I always have to work at it at first, except Konswitchny).

Oh, the march is never too fast, it is sometimes too slow. Like Norrington and Hogwood to be precise. Sarge is the one that prefers funeral marches... :D

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Leon on November 09, 2010, 11:49:28 AM

Szell is great, but I don't think that Gardiner or Jarvi are that interesting in the ninth.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 09, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
Szell is great, but I don't think that Gardiner or Jarvi are that interesting in the ninth.

Actually, I think Gardiner is quite interesting and enjoy his recording a lot. Jarvi was so highly spoken of that I guess I expected to get blown out of my chair by it. I didn't. But it was a nice performance, just not special or memorable. And a 9th should be memorable, above all things. I hope that Dausgaard (sp) doesn't do me that way. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 09, 2010, 01:26:39 PM
Actually, I think Gardiner is quite interesting and enjoy his recording a lot. Jarvi was so highly spoken of that I guess I expected to get blown out of my chair by it. I didn't. But it was a nice performance, just not special or memorable. And a 9th should be memorable, above all things. I hope that Dausgaard (sp) doesn't do me that way. :)

8)

What is your favorite among those played on period instruments, Gurn?  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 09, 2010, 01:31:57 PM
What is your favorite among those played on period instruments, Gurn?  :)

Oh, dear, that's a toughie. Here's the ones I have (in no particular order (OK, maybe alphabetical)):

Brüggen OEC
Gardiner ORR
Goodman Hanover
Herreweghe  O. Champs d'Elysee
Hogwood AAM
Immerseel Anima Eterna
Emmanuel Krivine La Chambre Philharmonique
Norrington London Classical Players
Spering The New Orchestra (Das Neue Orchester)

The hard part is that I like all of them, and for different reasons. I would have to say that Norrington and Hogwood are my co-favorites, except for their shared major flaw (the Alla marcia). Everything else about them I like, the rough-hewn timbre of the instruments, the brisk tempi, the good singing even. One small step below, and with no flaws beyond being too 'big-band' is Gardiner. The remainder are about equal in my ears. They are all very well played and I don't feel the slightest letdown when the wheel spins to their turn. If anyone is aware of any PI versions that I haven't listed, please tell me about them so I can go hunting. And if you found one that you didn't know about before (like the Krivine) then pick it up and see what you think. There's always some exploring to be done! :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Capella Academica Wien \ Melkus  Ingrid Haebler (Fortepiano) - Bach JC Op 07 #2  Concerto in F for Fortepiano 2nd mvmt - Tempo di menuetto

MishaK

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 09, 2010, 11:00:29 AM
I like both of the other versions, it's hard to choose between them. :)

I know what you mean (though I don't have the earlier Erato version myself). I had the pleasure of hearing Barenboim do the 9th live twice with the Staatskapelle: once as part of his complete 2000 Beethoven cycle at Carnegie and once as a New Year's Day concert in Berlin in 2006 and both were amazing. I have here also an mp3 recorded from streaming radio of a broadcast of his 2006 CSO farewell concert which is quite intense.

jlaurson

Brüggen OEC
Gardiner ORR

Goodman Hanover
Herreweghe  O. Champs d'Elysee
Hogwood AAM
Immerseel Anima Eterna

Emmanuel Krivine La Chambre Philharmonique
Norrington London Classical Players
Spering The New Orchestra (Das Neue Orchester)

One small step below, and with no flaws beyond being too 'big-band' is Gardiner.
[/quote]

Precisely the reason why Gardiner is my favorite among the five HIPs I have.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 10, 2010, 01:39:14 AM
Precisely the reason why Gardiner is my favorite among the five HIPs I have.  :)

On any given day I can say the same thing, Jens. I have heard people voice my comment, and I can clearly hear what they are saying, but I'm not entirely sure it's a flaw. For one thing, if you are wanting people to hear a PI 9th for the first time, it is the single version that will win over hearts and minds from the style of the 60's & 70's.

A now deceased friend happened to be in a place and time where the ORR was playing the 9th at Carnegie Hall, circa 1996. He made a recording, now on DVD (private issue, of course) and the copy he gave me is one of the things that provokes the fondest memories of him. They were 'on' that night and seriously kicked ass and took names. Fascinating to see some of those old instruments in action too. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mensch on November 09, 2010, 07:05:35 PM
I know what you mean (though I don't have the earlier Erato version myself). I had the pleasure of hearing Barenboim do the 9th live twice with the Staatskapelle: once as part of his complete 2000 Beethoven cycle at Carnegie and once as a New Year's Day concert in Berlin in 2006 and both were amazing. I have here also an mp3 recorded from streaming radio of a broadcast of his 2006 CSO farewell concert which is quite intense.

I would have greatly enjoyed seeing that in person. In fact, I have yet to see any 9th 'Live', let alone a great one. So it goes. That may be my fate for the rest of my life, else I will see one soon, who can say?   :)   Barenboim, in any case, seems to have the measure of this work, something that not every conductor, even the acknowledged great ones, can say universally. Good for him. Good for us. :)

8)

DavidW

Jens, you don't actually own the London speed demons?  Whether you love or hate it, it is infamous, you need to hear just to say that you have. ;D