Recordings that you enjoy: Beethoven Symphony #9

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 26, 2009, 08:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on November 10, 2010, 05:40:40 AM
Jens, you don't actually own the London speed demons?  Whether you love or hate it, it is infamous, you need to hear just to say that you have. ;D

Maybe eventually (when available in nice packaging). But maybe his Stuttgart cycle, first.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on November 10, 2010, 05:40:40 AM
Jens, you don't actually own the London speed demons?

Yo, I think those recordings date from about the time of the Ramones' first visit to London, gabba gabba hey!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 10, 2010, 05:44:34 AM
Maybe eventually (when available in nice packaging). But maybe his Stuttgart cycle, first.

Well, you'll find a substantial difference between them. To my mind, it's the difference between passing on the shoulder and heading down the middle of the road. The Stuttgart are good, mind you, but nothing memorable really. The London's, you won't soon forget!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

That is to say that the Stuttgart performances are actually good. ;)  <Ducks!>

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 10, 2010, 05:57:21 AM
Well, you'll find a substantial difference between them. To my mind, it's the difference between passing on the shoulder and heading down the middle of the road. The Stuttgart are good, mind you, but nothing memorable really. The London's, you won't soon forget!  :)

8)

I should very much hope to find a difference between a still-finding-each-other-in-this-way-of-playing, nearly professional, London HIP group playing Beethoven and a well honed, modern instrument, full sized German Radio Orchestra playing 'HP-informed'.

DavidW

Quote from: jlaurson on November 10, 2010, 06:16:33 AM
I should very much hope to find a difference between a still-finding-each-other-in-this-way-of-playing, nearly professional, London HIP group playing Beethoven and a well honed, modern instrument, full sized German Radio Orchestra playing 'HP-informed'.

Oh you will hear a difference, it is night and day!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 10, 2010, 06:16:33 AM

FWIW, I wasn't being complimentary. I prefer the old one. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 09, 2010, 04:51:28 PM
Oh, dear, that's a toughie. Here's the ones I have (in no particular order (OK, maybe alphabetical)):

Brüggen OEC
Gardiner ORR
Goodman Hanover
Herreweghe  O. Champs d'Elysee
Hogwood AAM
Immerseel Anima Eterna
Emmanuel Krivine La Chambre Philharmonique
Norrington London Classical Players
Spering The New Orchestra (Das Neue Orchester)

The hard part is that I like all of them, and for different reasons. I would have to say that Norrington and Hogwood are my co-favorites, except for their shared major flaw (the Alla marcia). Everything else about them I like, the rough-hewn timbre of the instruments, the brisk tempi, the good singing even. One small step below, and with no flaws beyond being too 'big-band' is Gardiner. The remainder are about equal in my ears. They are all very well played and I don't feel the slightest letdown when the wheel spins to their turn. If anyone is aware of any PI versions that I haven't listed, please tell me about them so I can go hunting. And if you found one that you didn't know about before (like the Krivine) then pick it up and see what you think. There's always some exploring to be done! :)

Thanks, Gurn. I am not very symphonic, but I have some complete sets of Beethoven's symphonies, including three HIP cycles. Anyway, I noticed you didn't mention an interesting recording of the Ninth, performed by the American Bach Soloists:

HERE you can listen to some samples. HERE, too.

:)

DavidW

When I first heard Norrington it was my first experience with PI and I hated it.  But... I'm giving it another shot with the 9th and... and... it is FANTASTIC!!! Oh man I love it, oh awesomeness!!! :)  So I was wrong, and I might buy the box set. ;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DavidW on November 11, 2010, 06:32:43 PM
When I first heard Norrington it was my first experience with PI and I hated it.  But... I'm giving it another shot with the 9th and... and... it is FANTASTIC!!! Oh man I love it, oh awesomeness!!! :)  So I was wrong, and I might buy the box set. ;D

I forgot Norrington! Therefore, I have 4 HIP cycles: Hogwood (my favorite), Brüggen, Immerseel and Norrington. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 11, 2010, 06:26:17 PM
Thanks, Gurn. I am not very symphonic, but I have some complete sets of Beethoven's symphonies, including three HIP cycles. Anyway, I noticed you didn't mention an interesting recording of the Ninth, performed by the American Bach Soloists:

HERE you can listen to some samples. HERE, too.

:)

Aha! Thanks, Antoine. No, I never heard of it (or them, for that matter). But I will have it if it's have-able here. Oh, CDBaby. I've ordered several from them. Good place to deal with so far. :)

FWIW, I'm not very symphonic either. But hey, this is THE 9th!  0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Sviatoslav Richter - Chopin Op 61 Polonaise Fantaisie in Ab - Allegro maestoso

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 11, 2010, 06:32:43 PM

I only have the 9th, but I've heard that he actually does better in most of the rest of the cycle. So it might be a very good investment. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Sviatoslav Richter - Chopin Op 70 #3 Valse in Db - Moderato

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 11, 2010, 06:38:14 PM
Aha! Thanks, Antoine. No, I never heard of it (or them, for that matter).

It's probably because they are principally a Baroque ensemble. They have recorded, for instance, several discs with some lovely performances of Bach cantatas and other Baroque works.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 11, 2010, 06:44:36 PM
It's probably because they are principally a Baroque ensemble. They have recorded, for instance, several discs with some lovely performances of Bach cantatas and other Baroque works.  :)

Ah, Bach cantatas. No wonder I never heard of them... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Sviatoslav Richter - Chopin Op 25 #7 Etude in c# - Lento

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 11, 2010, 06:46:21 PM

Gurn was surprised to find out that the American Bach Soloists frequently played Bach... ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 11, 2010, 06:37:07 PM
I forgot Norrington! Therefore, I have 4 HIP cycles: Hogwood (my favorite), Brüggen, Immerseel and Norrington.

Hogwood is fantastic, but I like Immerseel, haven't heard Bruggen but I like his Schubert cycle. :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: DavidW on November 11, 2010, 06:50:10 PM
Hogwood is fantastic, but I like Immerseel, haven't heard Bruggen but I like his Schubert cycle. :)

I also like Immerseel, very much, especially his Fifth... the best Fifth that I have listened to. When I listened to it for the first time, it was almost a mystical experience, like to see the birth of the modern Europe.  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 11, 2010, 06:46:21 PM

After playing Bach, Beethoven is a piece of cake.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 11, 2010, 07:03:03 PM
After playing Bach, Beethoven is a piece of cake.  ;D

:D  Kinda glad you didn't see where I was going with that. :)

I put that disk in my shopping basket, I'll pull the trigger next week as I'm not done shopping yet. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Sviatoslav Richter - Chopin Op 25 #7 Etude in c# - Lento

Gurn Blanston

More or less a trip to the past this week, especially after last week's Zinman effort. This is the only recorded effort (and one of the few actual concerts) of this great conductor:

It is interesting so far. It's a 'live' show with a smattering of ill-timed applause and a cough here and there, and a bit of raggedy playing too. The intro to the final movement, the recitative of the basses is taken as slow as I've ever heard it, although this does lend itself to clarity. It also lets you lose the track of the phrase.

Clearly this isn't the version to be one's sole 9th, but I'm glad to have it as a collector's item, and I will certainly listen to it again.

Soloists are Sylvia Fisher, Nan Merriman, Richard Lewis & Kim Borg. Borg has a bit of a struggle starting out, but gets into the flow nicely down the line. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Royal PO \ Beecham - Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 4th mvmt pt 2 - Rezitativo: 'O Freunde, nicht diese Töne!' - Allegro assai