Wiren's wilderness (Dag Wiren 1905-1986)

Started by vandermolen, April 26, 2009, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

In my exploration of new music, I stumbled upon this Swedish. I listened to his symphonies on Youtube (2, 4 and 5) and the third one on Spotify. I can say I liked all that stuff. Reminiscences of Sibelius were more than clear on the symphonies 2 and 3. Some time ago I had already played the Serenade for strings, which is a real gem, what sparkling it is!

Mirror Image

Wiren composed some great music indeed. I need to revisit those CPO recordings of the misc. symphonies (w/ Thomas Dausgaard). I also believe I have some of his music on the Swedish label, Caprice.

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on August 09, 2014, 06:17:14 AM
BIS CEO Robert von Bahr's honesty strikes again...

Here's his eClassical daily deal writeup of Dag Wiren's piano trios.

"I wish I could say something more positive about this CD than that the artists are excellent and really do what they can, but I find the music boring. I am sorry that I do, but I habe [sic] been honest in my comments and I intend to continue being that. However, I can also be wrong, and several persons I know find Wirén's music charming and beautiful."

I hope RvB only meant these trios are boring.  I love Wiren's symphonies and that magical Serenade.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 07, 2017, 03:41:06 PM
In my exploration of new music, I stumbled upon this Swedish. I listened to his symphonies on Youtube (2, 4 and 5) and the third one on Spotify. I can say I liked all that stuff. Reminiscences of Sibelius were more than clear on the symphonies 2 and 3. Some time ago I had already played the Serenade for strings, which is a real gem, what a sparkling it is!
I very much agree with you Caesar (as I usually do! :))
I especially like symphonies 3,4 and 5. I even have two recordings of Symphony 4, the monothematic opening of which is very brooding and powerful. I think that Wiren's wife said it reminded her of an oncoming storm if I remember correctly. Robert Layton was quite dismissive of Wiren's symphonic work, describing it as 'short-breathed' but I don't agree with him as I also disagree with his comments on the music of Allan Pettersson ('rampant self-pity......')
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2017, 01:36:04 AM
I very much agree with you Caesar (as I usually do! :))
I especially like symphonies 3,4 and 5. I even have two recordings of Symphony 4, the monothematic opening of which is very brooding and powerful. I think that Wiren's wife said it reminded her of an oncoming storm if I remember correctly. Robert Layton was quite dismissive of Wiren's symphonic work, describing it as 'short-breathed' but I don't agree with him as I also disagree with his comments on the music of Allan Pettersson ('rampant self-pity......')

I don't agree with that opinion either, I think it's the opposite. Wiren on the mentioned works is warm, he displays a bunch of energy, although the symphonies 4 and 5 are a little more advanced, but there is no lack of creativity/inspiration.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 08, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
I don't agree with that opinion either, I think it's the opposite. Wiren on the mentioned works is warm, he displays a bunch of energy, although the symphonies 4 and 5 are a little more advanced, but there is no lack of creativity/inspiration.
Just listening to Symphony 4 CPO recording - terrific brooding opening. I really like this symphony and totally agree with Caesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

I don't know his symphonies yet (I intend to rectify that situation soon), but Wiren's Violin Concerto is a very fine work - overall lyrical and optimistic but with some disturbing, violent passages along the way:
https://youtu.be/ZmC79GgHf4E
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 11, 2017, 08:53:41 AM
I don't know his symphonies yet (I intend to rectify that situation soon), but Wiren's Violin Concerto is a very fine work - overall lyrical and optimistic but with some disturbing, violent passages along the way:
https://youtu.be/ZmC79GgHf4E
Try Symphony 4 Kyle - am sure you'd enjoy it.

kyjo

Just listened to Wiren's Symphony no. 4 - great stuff! (No surprise that I enjoyed it since you recommended it, Jeffrey! ;D) Throughout the piece there are juxtapositions between quiet, eerie passages and louder, rhythmic, almost jazzy sections. The opening of the finale sounds uncannily like the opening of the "nuclear wasteland" finale of Vaughan Williams' Symphony no. 6 - I wonder if Wiren knew that work?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 12, 2017, 09:53:55 PM
Just listened to Wiren's Symphony no. 4 - great stuff! (No surprise that I enjoyed it since you recommended it, Jeffrey! ;D) Throughout the piece there are juxtapositions between quiet, eerie passages and louder, rhythmic, almost jazzy sections. The opening of the finale sounds uncannily like the opening of the "nuclear wasteland" finale of Vaughan Williams' Symphony no. 6 - I wonder if Wiren knew that work?
Delighted that you enjoyed it Kyle  :)
I hadn't thought of the VW No.6 connection - very interesting.
Coincidentally I've listened to Wiren's 4th Symphony several times over the last couple of days.

vandermolen

Exciting looking new release of music by this underrated Swedish composer:
[asin]B077PKNR8M[/asin]
I've just reminded myself of Symphony 3 by listening to Thomas Dausgaaed's performance on CPO. What a fine work it is.

Mr. Minnow

Does anyone have this?

The samples sounded OK to me but seeing it dismissed as boring by the man who owns the label that released it doesn't inspire confidence.

vandermolen

Very much enjoying this CD, especially the lyrical early quartets. They remind me a bit of those by Malipiero which I also like:

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on February 18, 2019, 10:02:40 AM
Very much enjoying this CD, especially the lyrical early quartets. They remind me a bit of those by Malipiero which I also like:

Yes, I like it too!

vandermolen

Symphonic Addict

The other day I was revisiting the Naxos CD of the string quartets. Unmistakably Nordic in their soundworld, none disappoints, but I felt Nos. 4 and 5 like the more interesting. They share that seriousness of the symphonies 4 and 5. There were moments where Sibelius was brought to my mind, so I can detect Sibelius like an influence.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 24, 2020, 06:28:51 PM
The other day I was revisiting the Naxos CD of the string quartets. Unmistakably Nordic in their soundworld, none disappoints, but I felt Nos. 4 and 5 like the more interesting. They share that seriousness of the symphonies 4 and 5. There were moments where Sibelius was brought to my mind, so I can detect Sibelius like an influence.

Very cool, Cesar. I've been meaning to look more into Wirén. All I have are the symphonies on CPO (w/ Dausgaard) and the Violin Concerto (+ some other works) on the Caprice label. I recall much of the music having a Neoclassical, leaner quality to it. Would this be accurate? It's been years since I've heard any of his music.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2020, 06:33:36 PM
Very cool, Cesar. I've been meaning to look more into Wirén. All I have are the symphonies on CPO (w/ Dausgaard) and the Violin Concerto (+ some other works) on the Caprice label. I recall much of the music having a Neoclassical, leaner quality to it. Would this be accurate? It's been years since I've heard any of his music.

I think the Neoclassical tinge on some of his music is spot on, John, though Wirén makes it sound Nordic and very of his own methinks. You might like these quartets. Nos. 2 and 3 tend to sound more rustic, whilst nos. 4 and 5 show a more rigorous facet of him as a composer.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 24, 2020, 06:58:13 PM
I think the Neoclassical tinge on some of his music is spot on, John, though Wirén makes it sound Nordic and very of his own methinks. You might like these quartets. Nos. 2 and 3 tend to sound more rustic, whilst nos. 4 and 5 show a more rigorous facet of him as a composer.

Thanks, Cesar. I'll have to look into those SQs once I become more familiar with Wirén's music language. Also, I just bought the Caprice disc that has the Cello Concerto, Serenade for Strings, etc. Audio samples sounded rather nice.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 24, 2020, 06:28:51 PM

I listened to the 3rd quartet on that Naxos CD recently and enjoyed it greatly with its folksy spirit and modal harmonies. I also really like his Violin Concerto, which is by turns a lyrical, sometimes anxious, and ultimately life-affirming work. Wirén is a composer who's able to say a lot in a short time span, which I really admire.