Wiren's wilderness (Dag Wiren 1905-1986)

Started by vandermolen, April 26, 2009, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

No thread on this worthwhile composer from Sweden. I have been listening to his Symphony No 4 this evening (CPO). Wiren's wife said that she could hear the summer storm of 1952 in the Symphony. The opening has a great sense of looming threat and impending catastrophe (such works invariably appeal to me  ;D). It is quite short, just 18 minutes, but has much depth and power.  Wiren tends to get written off as a symphonist but nos 3 and 4 are fine works in my opinion.

Here is the CD below:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on April 26, 2009, 02:51:31 PM
No thread on this worthwhile composer from Sweden. I have been listening to his Symphony No 4 this evening (CPO). Wiren's wife said that she could hear the summer storm of 1952 in the Symphony. The opening has a great sense of looming threat and impending catastrophe (such works invariably appeal to me  ;D). It is quite short, just 18 minutes, but has much depth and power.  Wiren tends to get written off as a symphonist but nos 3 and 4 are fine works in my opinion.

Wiren is one of those Scandinavian composers rather written off by the otherwise estimable Robert Layton. Layton believes that Wiren's music lacks thematic interest. A fairer assessment is given by Mark Morris in his "Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers". Writing about Symphony No.4, Morris says

"....is a marvellously vital work, whose polish and completeness sparkles. Rhythmically alive, it still shows a busy injection of neo-classical verve, and the scoring is searchingly lucid. The melodic flair remains predominant, but is broadened by a darker streak, especially in the repeated pattern of two irregular rhythmic figures of the bass of the first movement, in the sinuous opening, and in the massed string introduction to the slow movement(recalling Martinu)."

Do you know the Wiren concertos-for piano, violin, and cello?

The new erato

The disc of Wirens string quartets on the Daphne label (I bought mine from cduniverse) is absolutely marvellous,

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 26, 2009, 03:01:26 PM
Wiren is one of those Scandinavian composers rather written off by the otherwise estimable Robert Layton. Layton believes that Wiren's music lacks thematic interest. A fairer assement is given by Mark Morris in his "Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers". Writing about Symphony No.4, Morris says

"....is a marvellously vital work, whose polish and completeness sparkles. Rhythmically alive, it still shows a busy injection of neo-classical verve, and the scoring is searchingly lucid. The melodic flair remains predominant, but is broadened by a darker streak, especially in the repeated pattern of two irregular rhythmic figures of the bass of the first movement, in the sinuous opening, and in the massed string introduction to the slow movement(recalling Martinu)."

Once, again thank you Colin! Yes, Robert Layton is rather snooty about Wiren, as he was about Pettersson, 'rampant self-pity etc' I agree with your Morris quote. I only really know the symphonies and the Serenade for strings but hope to discover more. which concerto is the best in your view? Off to work now  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on April 26, 2009, 09:21:48 PM
The disc of Wirens string quartets on the Daphne label (I bought mine from cduniverse) is absolutely marvellous,

Something else for me to explore - thanks.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on April 26, 2009, 09:25:31 PM
Once, again thank you Colin! Yes, Robert Layton is rather snooty about Wiren, as he was about Pettersson, 'rampant self-pity etc' I agree with your Morris quote. I only really know the symphonies and the Serenade for strings but hope to discover more. which concerto is the best in your view? Off to work now  :(

I think that I would put the Violin Concerto just ahead of the Piano Concerto, Jeffrey. It is certainly the work for which Wiren himself had the most affection.

Holden

I only know the String Serenade Op 11 but it is one of my desert island pieces. Maybe I should take the time to investigate more. This was the way I discovered Hummel (via one disc of his PCs).
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 27, 2009, 01:00:48 PM
I think that I would put the Violin Concerto just ahead of the Piano Concerto, Jeffrey. It is certainly the work for which Wiren himself had the most affection.

Actually Colin I find that I do have the Cello Concerto (coupled with Symphony No 3) - so I'll give that a listen to.

Guido

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2009, 03:25:17 AM
Actually Colin I find that I do have the Cello Concerto (coupled with Symphony No 3) - so I'll give that a listen to.

I am very fond of the concerto - lot's of lovely ideas and it's very sensitively scored and thought out - I just wish it were a little more memorable!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Dundonnell

Quote from: Guido on April 28, 2009, 02:51:47 PM
I am very fond of the concerto - lot's of lovely ideas and it's very sensitively scored and thought out - I just wish it were a little more memorable!

That is Layton's criticism-lack of thematic interest. Try the violin concerto!

Guido

Oops - should have read above... don't like conforming to critics opinions... but we did come up with this separately - maybe there is something in it (not everyone can be a first rate tunesmith after all!)

I will certainly try the violin concerto though.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

jowcol

I just grabbed Symphonies 4 and 5.  (Damn you Jeffrey!  My children will be out on the street because of all of your great recommendations!)  I haven't listened to 5 yet, but 4 is a keeper.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 26, 2009, 03:01:26 PM
Wiren is one of those Scandinavian composers rather written off by the otherwise estimable Robert Layton. Layton believes that Wiren's music lacks thematic interest. A fairer assessment is given by Mark Morris in his "Dictionary of Twentieth Century Composers". Writing about Symphony No.4, Morris says

Both the 3rd and 4th are superb. Very Nordic; very sparing  in many ways. A no nonsense composer, at least judging from the works I know. There are some Sibelian hints in the 3rd. Is there indeed a piano concerto?  I'll have to check this one out.

Dundonnell

The cd with the Piano and Cello Concertos-

Dundonnell

....and the Violin Concerto-

snyprrr

ack,... I start to drool every time I see a Caprice cd.

I have SQs 3-4. No.3 is in typical "charming" mode, whilst No.4 exhibits the "hardening of the language" experienced by so many composers at this time (Chavez, Bloch, Malipiero, etc.).

No.5 is from 1970. Dun, what's it sound like? I predict you don't like it much. Am I wrong?

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on April 30, 2009, 02:11:12 PM
I just grabbed Symphonies 4 and 5.  (Damn you Jeffrey!  My children will be out on the street because of all of your great recommendations!)  I haven't listened to 5 yet, but 4 is a keeper.

Yes, but when you and your family are huddled together, out on the streets in mid winter - you will gain an even better appreciation of the 'approaching storm' section at the start of Wiren's 4th Symphony - it will all come alive for you - so actually you should really be grateful to me  ;D.

ps To add insult to injury, Wiren's Third Symphony is the most often performed of his symphonies - I am listening to it at the moment and would recommend it as you liked No 4.

Brian

BIS CEO Robert von Bahr's honesty strikes again...

Here's his eClassical daily deal writeup of Dag Wiren's piano trios.

"I wish I could say something more positive about this CD than that the artists are excellent and really do what they can, but I find the music boring. I am sorry that I do, but I habe [sic] been honest in my comments and I intend to continue being that. However, I can also be wrong, and several persons I know find Wirén's music charming and beautiful."

vandermolen