Steve Reich (b. 1936)

Started by bhodges, April 29, 2009, 08:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 09, 2021, 06:38:52 AM
I oppose any/all music written in reference to 9/11, actually any tragedy of that scale.  Reich, Glass, Adams, and the rest working in that style are not for me, but especially not for me concerning that piece.

Out of curiosity, would the Holocaust be off limits for you as well?

Mandryka

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 09, 2021, 10:49:31 AM
Yes.  I don't like music or art to have a message, and political messages are the worst.

Ah, I thought you were going to say something about Reich jumping in to capitalise on a human tragedy.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 09, 2021, 11:41:56 AM
IMO, the greater the tragedy the inadequacy of music is underscored, and I feel it, in a way, trivializes the grief of those most directly impacted.

I understand, and to some extent sympathise.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 09, 2021, 12:18:51 PM
I understand, and to some extent sympathise.
I do too. Most films about the Holocaust, for example, are terrible, including Schindler's List. Lanzmann is the exception there. I've a friend who believes abstract expressionism and minimalism are meant to distract people from from their exploitation. But I much prefer art about more ontological or abstract experience. On the other other hand, how can we understand the Holocaust except through art? Not art alone of course.

petrarch

Quote from: Old San Antone on April 09, 2021, 11:41:56 AM
IMO, the greater the tragedy the inadequacy of music is underscored, and I feel it, in a way, trivializes the grief of those most directly impacted.

Isn't this trivialization in the ear (and expectations) of the beholder?

My favorite composer is notorious for the political bent of almost all his works. I find nothing other than utmost respect, belief and hope in and for the causes he expressed and provided commentary on through his music. Ricorda cosa ti hanno fatto in Auschwitz is a fitting, deeply personal commentary on the horrors of the Holocaust.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

milk

Quote from: petrarch on April 10, 2021, 10:02:47 AM
Isn't this trivialization in the ear (and expectations) of the beholder?

My favorite composer is notorious for the political bent of almost all his works. I find nothing other than utmost respect, belief and hope in and for the causes he expressed and provided commentary on through his music. Ricorda cosa ti hanno fatto in Auschwitz is a fitting, deeply personal commentary on the horrors of the Holocaust.
gosh I've never heard that piece. I shall search it today.

San Antone

His latest work is very nice:

Steve Reich - Traveler's Prayer (2020)

https://www.youtube.com/v/b78wdMc3m7U

Colin Currie Group with Synergy Vocals

bhodges

On the 50th anniversary of Clapping Music (1972), a fine appreciation (though I'm not crazy about the headline):

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/music/2022/05/how-steve-reichs-clapping-music-rebooted-classical

--Bruce

bhodges

Anyone who likes early Steve Reich will want to check out this fabulous new film version of Violin Phase (1967) with Jonathan Morton, principal violin of the London Sinfonietta. (Technology makes possible "Jonathan x 4," which clarifies the phasing.) Morton takes it a bit faster than the original recording, with the late, great Paul Zukofsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF479y9Gsr8

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on July 27, 2022, 05:57:14 AMAnyone who likes early Steve Reich will want to check out this fabulous new film version of Violin Phase (1967) with Jonathan Morton, principal violin of the London Sinfonietta. (Technology makes possible "Jonathan x 4," which clarifies the phasing.) Morton takes it a bit faster than the original recording, with the late, great Paul Zukofsky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF479y9Gsr8

--Bruce
Strangely enough, I just listened to Violin Phase (for the first time).  Prompted by *PJME's comments about some contemporary dancers who apparently are well known in Europe (though new to me), I googled "Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker" on youtube and stumbled across this amazing performance to it.  Jaw dropping.  I'd love to hear what you and others here think of it.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 11, 2023, 02:42:16 AMStrangely enough, I just listened to Violin Phase (for the first time).  Prompted by *PJME's comments about some contemporary dancers who apparently are well known in Europe (though new to me), I googled "Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker" on youtube and stumbled across this amazing performance to it.  Jaw dropping.  I'd love to hear what you and others here think of it.

PD

Thanks! Watching now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 11, 2023, 02:42:16 AMStrangely enough, I just listened to Violin Phase (for the first time).  Prompted by *PJME's comments about some contemporary dancers who apparently are well known in Europe (though new to me), I googled "Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker" on youtube and stumbled across this amazing performance to it.  Jaw dropping.  I'd love to hear what you and others here think of it.

PD

Kind of a "Western dervish" vibe, and a sort of mandala. Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 11, 2023, 06:42:52 AMKind of a "Western dervish" vibe, and a sort of mandala. Very nice!
Mandala is also what came to my mind!  :D I enjoyed the whole setting...the a forest, on some sort of platform with sand covering it. 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

PD

PD, thank you SO much for posting this. Though I'm somewhat familiar with de Keersmaeker from her appearances in New York, this was new to me. (Found this from 2011, which I didn't see at the time: https://www.rosas.be/en/publications/427-violin-phase)

Interesting how the soundtrack she chose uses a much faster tempo than the original 1969 recording with violinist Paul Zukofsky. (A cursory search to find her violinist came up dry for the moment.)

In any case, between the piece, her brilliant dancing, the woodland site (have to find out more about that, too) and the fantastic camerawork—a welcome start to the new year from someone hungry for modern dance. Thanks again!

-Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on January 14, 2023, 07:40:46 AMPD, thank you SO much for posting this. Though I'm somewhat familiar with de Keersmaeker from her appearances in New York, this was new to me. (Found this from 2011, which I didn't see at the time: https://www.rosas.be/en/publications/427-violin-phase)

Interesting how the soundtrack she chose uses a much faster tempo than the original 1969 recording with violinist Paul Zukofsky. (A cursory search to find her violinist came up dry for the moment.)

In any case, between the piece, her brilliant dancing, the woodland site (have to find out more about that, too) and the fantastic camerawork—a welcome start to the new year from someone hungry for modern dance. Thanks again!

-Bruce
So glad that you enjoyed it!  I hadn't ever heard this piece of music before (let alone the original musical recording), so it was a new experience for me.  And thank you for that link--quite interesting.
Pohjolas Daughter