Pizzetti's Paradigm

Started by jowcol, April 30, 2009, 02:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 20, 2018, 04:07:20 PM
Just listened the wonderful Symphony for the first time today and I very much agree with you, Jeffrey. It has resonances of Respighi and VW (there's also a wonderful, Mahlerian tune in the finale), but is perhaps closest in style to Casella, particularly his masterful Symphony no. 3 which was composed in the same year (1940). The Pizzetti and Casella symphonies have in common a low-key but captivating musical language that is often tinged with a feeling of threat and unease (but never outright anger), probably due to the circumstances of the times. They both end in movingly peaceful repose. This Symphony is definitely on a higher level of inspiration than the works contained on a previous Naxos disc of Pizzetti's orchestral music (containing the Concerto dell'Estate). Highly recommended!
I missed this post Kyle and I'm delighted that you liked it. Actually this thread has made me want to listen to it again as I haven't heard it for ages. Plus I must investigate some of his other works which cigwyn has kindly brought to our attention or 'droned on about' (his words).  8) :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I'd have recommended the Accord release of Pizzetti's opera,Fedra. The music is what you might expect from some of the orchestral cd's;but the vocal style is declamatory. The kind of opera where you need a libretto,in the language you speak & understand. Unfortunately,none supplied! A pity because the singing and sound quality is very good. Such a shame,when so much of his output was opera. It's hard to understand the logic behind a release like this. And modern recordings of Pizzetti operas aren't exactly thick on the ground. That said,I prefer vocal lines that are of a more lyrical nature.

SymphonicAddict

I'm utterly stunned (once more) by the Piano concerto 'Canti della stagione alta' (maybe cilgwyn is a fan too). I feel it rather melodramatic in the best sense of the word, something for wallow and wallow over and over again. It's impossible to get tired by this, there is no way  :D Now is firmly my favorite Italian piano concerto. Plenty of consummate stunning melodies within the more diverse field of emotions, and the ending... oh God, just orgasmic!!

This recording makes justice to the work, The performance is dramatic and not less than muscular.

cilgwyn

I love it. I totally agree with you. I think there are one,or two,brief moments of,what you might call 'bombast',but they only add to the fun. It's a bit like listening to a huge,lavish,and very romantic,film score. And I mean that in a good way!! I couldn't help thinking of the films of Fellini (and Rota). The tunes are wonderful. The big one in the first movement,and I love the way he brings it back at the end. There's also another lovely theme in the second movement. I've got the Marco Polo recording,which is very good,and one of their most successful recordings in terms of the performances and recording quality. Incidentally,if you haven't seen it,best not to look at the Gramophone review. I don't think it was of the recordings we own;but I remember being a bit peeved. I consoled myself,however,by reminding myself that the magazine (which I once looked forward to in my youth) is a pretty shallow,glossy little,rag these days (albeit,a slight improvement under it's new owners). 

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 07, 2018, 02:28:35 AM
I love it. I totally agree with you. I think there are one,or two,brief moments of,what you might call 'bombast',but they only add to the fun. It's a bit like listening to a huge,lavish,and very romantic,film score. And I mean that in a good way!! I couldn't help thinking of the films of Fellini (and Rota). The tunes are wonderful. The big one in the first movement,and I love the way he brings it back at the end. There's also another lovely theme in the second movement. I've got the Marco Polo recording,which is very good,and one of their most successful recordings in terms of the performances and recording quality. Incidentally,if you haven't seen it,best not to look at the Gramophone review. I don't think it was of the recordings we own;but I remember being a bit peeved. I consoled myself,however,by reminding myself that the magazine (which I once looked forward to in my youth) is a pretty shallow,glossy little,rag these days (albeit,a slight improvement under it's new owners).

I see the point about the link between Rota and Fellini's film with this work. It fits perfectly indeed. Italian ultra-romanticism at its most quasi-filmic vein!

SymphonicAddict

Getting a listen from his Symphony. Truly astounding piece, amazes me. There is lot of attractive and moving music not devoid of certain pathos. Is it me or did I listen to reminiscences of Tubin, Lloyd, and even Langgaard and Villa-Lobos? If so, demonstrates that my tastes are right!  8)

vandermolen

Reading back through this thread brings home the sad absence of cilgwyn.
:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 07, 2019, 06:07:34 PM
Getting a listen from his Symphony. Truly astounding piece, amazes me. There is lot of attractive and moving music not devoid of certain pathos. Is it me or did I listen to reminiscences of Tubin, Lloyd, and even Langgaard and Villa-Lobos? If so, demonstrates that my tastes are right!  8)
Very much with you here Cesar. Must listen to the symphony again soon.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2019, 10:29:40 PM
Reading back through this thread brings home the sad absence of cilgwyn.
:(

Sadly true.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 07, 2019, 06:07:34 PM

It's a great work indeed - eclectic, as you mention - yet personal and integrated. I also detected reminiscences of Vaughan Williams and his fellow countryman Casella (especially that composer's 3rd Symphony).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on November 10, 2019, 01:40:41 PM
It's a great work indeed - eclectic, as you mention - yet personal and integrated. I also detected reminiscences of Vaughan Williams and his fellow countryman Casella (especially that composer's 3rd Symphony).

Since you mention, Casella seems to be there too. The Italian heritage can't be denied.