Pizzetti's Paradigm

Started by jowcol, April 30, 2009, 02:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jowcol

(Gulp-- starting a new topic- I couldn't find an existing thread)
Ildebrando Pizzetti-- of the same generation as Malipierio (who I need to learn more about ) and Respighi (an old friend)

I picked up the Hyperion disc of his orchestral works  from our library :
http://www.amazon.com/Pizzetti-Preludio-Preludii-Pisanella-Orchestral/dp/B000031WGI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241130038&sr=1-6

I swear I can't stop listening to it.  I see a mixture of Respighi, Debussy, and bursts of  folky-Vaughan Williams with a very tight sense of austerity and structure.  Maybe some Barber in the mix.   I'm not sure if I've ever had my itches for orchestral color AND structure scratched at the same time before this effectively. 

Any other fans out there?  I KNOW I'll be wearing this one out.

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Lethevich

I hadn't even heard of the chap before your thread, but he is now something for me to look out for. Stylistically, he sounds right up my alley :) Thanks for the disc recommendation, too!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dundonnell

I think that I wrote about Pizzetti some time ago in the thread on Italian composers-

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2677.0.html

I said then that I was intrigued to hear Pizzetti's Symphony(which has not been recorded) and the Violin Concerto(which has been promised by Naxos). The Hyperion disc is a good introduction and there have been collections on Marco Polo and on Naxos which have been interesting but the much vaunted Concerto dell' Estate-on the recent Naxos disc-was a little disappointing for me. Respighi did that kind of thing so much better; although the choice by Naxos of a Greek orchestra seemed perverse ???

I wonder if the best of Pizzetti is indeed in his operas ("Murder in the Cathedral") and in the wonderful unaccompanied choral works-like the Messa di Requiem.

On the evidence so far Pizzetti does not seem the equal of either Respighi or Malipiero. I will be happy to be proved wrong however :)

snyprrr

May I suggest changing the name to "Pizzetti's Piazza", if that's how you spell it?

I have been itching to hear his SQs. I hear No2 from the 20s has some LvB/Faure to it.

Dundonnell

Mirror Image

I'm obviously late to this party, but Pizzetti has been flying under my radar for a few years. I was reading about the "Generation of 1880" and his name along with some of my other favorite Italian composers appeared. I bought the Vanska disc tonight, so I hope to be digging into his music soon.

Lethevich

I should follow up on my post - that Hyperion disc was exceptional both in its recording but also the music it presents. I find nothing lacking when comparing it to Casella, who the composer has more similarities to than the distinctive Malipiero. His chamber music was also a real discovery - very fine music in a genre I do not readily associate Romantic/post-Romantic Italians in.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 12, 2011, 08:35:42 PM
I should follow up on my post - that Hyperion disc was exceptional both in its recording but also the music it presents. I find nothing lacking when comparing it to Casella, who the composer has more similarities to than the distinctive Malipiero. His chamber music was also a real discovery - very fine music in a genre I do not readily associate Romantic/post-Romantic Italians in.

Thanks Sarah this is good to hear.

cilgwyn

Aha! The Pizzetti thead!
Pizzetti cds I HAVE enjoyed:

Messa di Requiem (etc)
The Hyperion cd is then one that got the attention & an award,but I think the Chandos cd is very good,too.Also,it includes some nice fill ups. Lovely! :)

'Canti della stagione alta'. I have the Marco Polo recording & I personally love this work & have played it over & over again,when I'm in the mood for lush,over the top late romantic music for piano & orchestra. Despite the label,the recording & performance is very good,at least to my ears! :)

The Hyperion cd with Osmo Vanska conducting is fantastic,imho,as they say! :)

'Fedra',the compete opera recording on the Accord label is an exciting discovery. Lush,dramatic orchestration & some wonderful writing for voices. :) I first taped this opera from the radio on ye olde C90 cassettes (well some fools got to use them!). I am impressed by this opera,but not by Accord shooting themselves in the foot by not providing a translation of the libretto. That's going to really help restore Pizzetti's reputation as an opera composer! >:( The Bounders!!!!

Pizzetti cds I have NOT enjoyed:

The Naxos cd of the 'Concerto dell'estate is not unpleasant,but as has been observed elsewhere,it's a bit like Respighi without any good tunes or truly memorable ideas! A crashing disappointment,to put it bluntly! :(

Dundonnell

Tish tush ::)

You need to hear the lovely Violin Concerto. I think that it is Pizzetti's orchestral masterpiece :)   Naxos promised a recording a few years ago but no sign so far :(

A kind member provided me with a recording together with the Cello and Harp Concertos :) :)

cilgwyn

Fedra now! Wonderful,exciting,passionate music & an absolutely first rate performance & recording! I remember taping this Montpelier performance of the radio & being 'grabbed' by it. One of the singers mentioned in an article that it had been recorded. It was available on a website,but the commercial release from Accord took a while! Sometimes they take a while! :( >:( Still,it was worth it & at a reasonable price! :)
  I see that Accord are now advertising a brand new recording (also Montpelier,I believe) of Bernard Herrmann's opera 'Wuthering Heights' (Accord 3cds)......in French!!! Sounds a bit strange,but I listen to French radio in the day & it might sound good (AND sexy! ;D)? I have the opera on Lp & remember quite enjoying it,uneven or not. Maybe the Accord will have better singing?
Wish Chandos would hurry up & do his Symphony! :(

I hope Accord are going to keep on with these releases of rare opera's!
(Herrmann 'Les Hauts de Hurlevent' Accord 3cds Amazon Pre order Release date February 20th,but £27.98 is a bit steep for me! Maybe,HMV? I got Fedra from MDT!)

torut

I recently got this and keep listening to it. Very fine music.

Pizzetti: String Quartets 1 & 2 by Lajtha Quartet
[asin]B0058JDC7G[/asin]

I want to hear his symphony but this is the only one I found. The sound is very old with scratch noise (recorded in 1940.) I think there is no other recordings.
http://www.youtube.com/v/FK4k4ZXPlY8

Mirror Image

Ah yes, Pizzetti. Apart of that Italian group Generation of 1880 (I believe this is correct...can't remember) whose 'membership' also included Malipiero, Respighi, Casella, and another composer whose name slips my mind. Do you know Vanksa's recording on Hyperion of some of his orchestral music, torut? This may be right up your alley. It certainly was up mine. :)

torut

Hi Mirror Image, no, I don't have that disc. It seems the one to get. It was Hyperion when this thread started (2009!) and is now on Helios, that is good.  :)
Are there musical characteristics common to these Italian composers? Malipiero and Pizzetti do not sound similar to me, for example, but I only heard few of them, so I am not sure.

Karl Henning

(Only tangentially . . . the name Hildebrand brings my mind immediately to the sunny world of P.G. Wodehouse.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

cilgwyn

I like all his music!
My Pizzetti cd collection:

Rondo Veneziano,La Pisanella,Preludio a un altro giorno,etc BBC Scottish SO Vanska Hyperion
Concerto de l'estate,La Pisanella (+ works by Respighi & Rota) Decca Eloquence
Canti della stagione alta,etc susanna Stefani (pno) Robert Schuman Phil/Caetani Marco Polo
Piano Trio,Violin Sonata,Tre Canti Marco Polo
String Quartets Lajtha Quartet Marco Polo
Messa Di Requiem,Tre composizioni corali,etc The Danish National Radio Chamber Choir/Parkman Chandos
Fedra Opera in 3 acts Montpelier 2008 Released 2010 Accord 2cds

The Naxos recording of the 'Concerto de l'estate' is to be avoided! The one to get is on the Decca Eloquence label.
The Hyperion recording of the Requiem (+ Martin) was widely praised,but the Chandos is just Pizzetti and it sounds good to me!
The Marco Polo recording of the 'Canti della Stagione alta' is one of the best offerings from Marco Polo in terms of performance & sound.
'Fedra',on the Accord label,is a 'live recording'. The sound quality is very good,but there is no english translation of the libretto included!

cilgwyn

His 'Canti della stagione alta' is a particular favourite. Lush,hyper-romantic music. Very filmic! A sort of Piano Concerto with wonderful tunes. I particularly like the way he brings the best one back right near the end! However,one or two moments of bombast,where the composer seems to momentarily lose focus prevent it from being anything more than a cd wallow for curiosity hunters. I love it,though!

His choral music is very fine,particularly the 'Messa Di Requiem. It should be better known! Beautiful music!

I didn't like the 'Concerto de l'estate' when I heard the Naxos recording. The Decca Eloquence reissue of the 1966 Gardelli recording changed my opinion. Like Respighi,but less showy! Lovely music. But don't expect the Pines of Rome!!

Fedra is very symphonic. Lots of big,lush romantic sounds. Exciting in places. I didn't need a libretto. Just sit back and enjoy a wallow!

His chamber and instrumental music is very enoyable. Great for late night listening with the lights turned down.

I have to say I DO NOT agree with Dundonnell's somewhat curious response!! As to being able to hear those works he alludes to? Well,lucky old him!! (And thanks for the link!!!) These are still lovely pieces of music!

Mirror Image

Quote from: torut on March 17, 2014, 09:46:53 PM
Hi Mirror Image, no, I don't have that disc. It seems the one to get. It was Hyperion when this thread started (2009!) and is now on Helios, that is good.  :)
Are there musical characteristics common to these Italian composers? Malipiero and Pizzetti do not sound similar to me, for example, but I only heard few of them, so I am not sure.

I wouldn't say this group of Italian composers had much in common musically-speaking, but they all had a goal of trying to bringing back orchestral music to Italy whose musical history was steeped in the operatic tradition previously. And, yes, that Pizzetti orchestral disc w/ Vanska is now on Helios. All the better to buy it while it's cheap. :)

torut

Thanks for recommendation. I purchased these, and am now listening to Vanska disc. Very beautiful.
Did Pizzetti particularly like A major? Symphony, SQ No. 1, Piano Trio, Violin Sonata are all in A major.

Pizzetti: Orchestral Works - BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Osmo Vanska
[asin]B001UWOIPA[/asin]

Piano Trio / Violin Sonata / Tre Canti
[asin]B003NA7FV6[/asin]

Mirror Image