Lo Spazio Sciarrino

Started by snyprrr, May 02, 2009, 12:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pessoa

The premiere in Madrid of ' Luci mie traditrici' some years ago opened the gates of Sciarrino´s space to me. I delight in the sparenes, levity and little imposing qualities of his music.

snyprrr

Oh yea, ya can't step on my Sciarrino Thread!! :laugh: It being so popular.

I was disappointed that the Kairos Complete String Quartets comes to only @40mins.! I mean, couldn't they have added all three solo string pieces? I have a nice amount of Sciarrino, but I might enjoy that 2cd Orchestral Works on Kairos.

merge!

snyprrr

Quote from: Pessoa on November 12, 2013, 03:42:59 AM
The premiere in Madrid of ' Luci mie traditrici' some years ago opened the gates of Sciarrino´s space to me. I delight in the sparenes, levity and little imposing qualities of his music.

apparently lACHENMANN FINDS HIM FRIVOLOUS? oops, sorry....

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on November 12, 2013, 04:33:22 PM
Oh yea, ya can't step on my Sciarrino Thread!! :laugh: It being so popular.

I was disappointed that the Kairos Complete String Quartets comes to only @40mins.! I mean, couldn't they have added all three solo string pieces? I have a nice amount of Sciarrino, but I might enjoy that 2cd Orchestral Works on Kairos.

merge!

There's two sets of orchestral works. Both are three discs sets, but I agree with you about the SQ recording. Kairos could have easily added a few other works to fill up the disc. It seems that Kairos do this kind of thing quite often.

GioCar

Today Salvatore turns 70

Happy birthday, maestro!

GioCar

Here's the Bachtrack review of his new opera Ti vedo, ti sento, mi perdo, staged at La Scala (November 14 - World Premiere)

https://bachtrack.com/review-sciarrino-ti-vedo-flimm-teatro-alla-scala-milan-november-2017

Mandryka

I'm enjoying the piano sonatas here -- shame Damarino doesn't play the 5th. Are there any other interesting performances of these sonatas?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

Nicolas Hodges has a good reputation as a Sciarrino interpreter. (I recall Nic from the old days on Usenet r.m.c.c. and r.m.c.r.)
But I'm only aware of Nic recording Sonata #5 and the Notturni, and haven't heard them.

Mandryka

Quote from: T. D. on June 08, 2020, 05:45:12 PM
(I recall Nic from the old days on Usenet r.m.c.c. and r.m.c.r.)

T.D. = Tom Deacon? Surely not!!!!

The only contact I've ever had with Nic Hodges was about 5 years ago now, when he sent me a recording of Finnissy's trio.

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2020, 04:48:38 AM
T.D. = Tom Deacon? Surely not!!!!

The only contact I've ever had with Nic Hodges was about 5 years ago now, when he sent me a recording of Finnissy's trio.

Oh dear God, no! My real life initials are T. D., first name Tom, but I assure you that I have absolutely no connection with Deacon.
I gave up on Usenet many years ago, r.m.c.c. became moribund and Usenet contained too many crackpots, sociopaths and trolls (little did I suspect what the future had in store for us with "social media"). Missed the Joyce Hatto controversy, which was apparently hilarious and completely exposed "Freaky Deaky" (apologies to Elmore Leonard) and others.

CRCulver

Was Tom Deacon the guy who couldn't stop banging on about how Boulez was the worst thing in the world?

Mandryka

This is the Sonata V which I've been enjoying most.

Tom Deacon was always pleasant to me, helpful when I was interested in c19 piano music. And full of amusing anecdotes about people he knew - Gilels, Richter, Rosen, Arrau, Brendel etc.

T. D.

My limited r.m.c.r. interactions with Tom Deacon were cordial/positive, but in those days I was posting mostly regarding contemporary music, so our interests barely overlapped.
One couldn't help noticing, however, that he was involved in many messy spats/feuds with other posters (who may well have been objectionable personalities in their own right  ;) ). So I generally avoided discussions in which Deacon participated.

Getting back to Sciarrino...
I enjoyed Vanitas, Lohengrin, Un'immagine d'Arpocrate (sort of a piano concerto) and Sei capricci for solo violin. But eventually (say, after the Esplorazione del bianco release), I began finding Sciarrino's palette of extended techniques (e.g. key clicks) and use of silences somewhat predictable, so I stopped keeping up with his recordings. I'll try to listen online to more vocal music (Macbeth seems appealing); I may have missed some good stuff.
To my surprise, I strongly disliked the one solo piano piece (Sonata #4 on the Esplorazione del bianco CD) I heard*, so never sought out any more. Otherwise I'd have purchased the Nic Hodges disc.

*But my reaction wasn't quite as harsh as the infamous classicstoday review https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-7803/... :o

Mandryka

Well I don't agree with that review if he's talking about the possibility of Sciarrino's sonatas, but I do agree with him if he's talking about what Nic Hodges and Shai Wosner make of them.

Today I was enjoying two songs from an opera on this one, the opera's called Perseo e Andromeda, and I noticed it's got an early piece for four pianos which sounds as though it may wear out its welcome before it's over, La Navigazzione Notturna.

Mandryka

Sciarrino quartet 9. Evident debt to Nono I think, though full of Sciarrino recognisable effects. 20 minute long second movement. Intense, mystical, more dark and serious than quartet 8 I think. Released last year but I missed it. Is it too long? I mean, can Sciarrino do long form? I don't know.

vers la flamme

Where's a good place to start w/ this composer?

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 28, 2020, 02:20:45 AM

The list that snyprrrrrrr made as the first post on this thread is outstanding.

I would say Quaderno di strada is my personal favourite at the moment, followed by sei quartetti brevi

T. D.

Several good recommendations on the first page of the thread IMO. I haven't kept up with recent compositions, so refrain from further comment.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 28, 2020, 02:20:45 AM

I forgot something yesterday, Sciarrino is very good with flute, there's Fabbrica Dele Incantesimi, a cycle, recorded by Roberto Fabbriciani. You'll like it, I'm sure, the music has great refinement, gentleness, restraint, poise. Sciarrino is a very classical composer in a way,

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/GIffmHdLkEs

Cosa Resta is from 2006, a setting for string quartet and voice of someone's post mortem household inventory. It goes absolutely cosmic half way through! Love it.