Indian-born composers

Started by arkiv, May 03, 2009, 09:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkiv

Indian-born composers are people emigrated to western countries. In their country of residence they have adequate training and performance opportunities.

Naresh Sohal, British Indian-born composer.
Param Vir, British Indian-born composer.
Sandee Bhagwati, German Indian-born composer.

Mark G. Simon

so what does their music sound like?

arkiv

Their music sound like art film music of surrealist and experimental cinema.

snyprrr

Sohal is claimed to be the first modern Indian composer of note? I'm curious about your description of the music, because Sohal has a string quartet named "Chirascuro II", so I do imagine it as art house movie music. It was written in the late 70s and the Arditti have it on their repertoire page. No sightings of Sohal on Amazon.

karlhenning

Indigenous Indian music has such a rich tradition, maybe that is why there have not been many Indian composers to plunge into the Western tradition.

And then, there's Bollywood . . . .

Opus106

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 01, 2009, 04:03:47 AM
And then, there's Bollywood . . . .

Actually, there is a 'wood for almost every major film-producing region/state of the country. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

snyprrr

That whole Nimbus series really dispels the need, not to mention how many Western composers have utilitzed India's unique sound (if a country ever had a musical stereotype) to such personal ends. Anyone have a good example? I'm thinking of a British composer, but don't know who. Perhaps the best known avant garde Indian composer is Scelsi! or John Coltrane?

Is Xenakis' percussion music somewhat influenced by Indian tabla playing? eh, I don't know bout that...

Isn't there another Indian thread around here?

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth