Alfredo Casella(1883-1947)

Started by Dundonnell, May 04, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Something unusual is how (apparently) Casella reused the slow movement from his 1st Symphony in his 2nd. Where is it supposed to belong?

pjme

https://www.youtube.com/v/KDslVGf7OTQ

A great work, indeed. Dedicated to Enescu. The Frankfurt orchestra "au grand complet" are wonderfully committed .

P.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 21, 2020, 03:12:42 PM
Yes, yes! Another firm favorite of mine. I like both Chandos and Naxos recording of it. And there is another recording which I haven't listened to it yet. This:

Oh dear! More temptation  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 21, 2020, 11:51:08 PM
Something unusual is how (apparently) Casella reused the slow movement from his 1st Symphony in his 2nd. Where is it supposed to belong?

From Naxos:
The slow third movement of Casella's Second Symphony—the first part he completed (early in 1908)—is simply the central movement of his First Symphony, with a single bar added at its midpoint, and reorchestrated in a far more Mahler-like manner; it even keeps the original key of F sharp minor, a tritone away from the Second Symphony's C. Curiously, the musical material sometimes seems ill at ease in its new clothes, the first version feeling a better fit—with the exception of the theme that Casella adopts to germinate the Second Symphony's 'Epilogue'. Casella's finale, albeit less monumental than the epic apotheosis of Mahler's Second, traces a similar trajectory from darkness to triumphant C major light, marching through frequent reminiscences of Mahler's later symphonies, the Third, Sixth and Seventh.
https://www.naxos.com/mainsite/blurbs_reviews.asp?item_code=8.572414&catNum=572414&filetype=About%20this%20Recording&language=English

It remains unclear why he reused that movement. The work was premiered in april 1910 - so he might have been in a hurry...?

ritter

Quote from: pjme on April 22, 2020, 06:24:14 AM
From Naxos:
The slow third movement of Casella's Second Symphony—the first part he completed (early in 1908)—is simply the central movement of his First Symphony, with a single bar added at its midpoint, and reorchestrated in a far more Mahler-like manner; it even keeps the original key of F sharp minor, a tritone away from the Second Symphony's C. Curiously, the musical material sometimes seems ill at ease in its new clothes, the first version feeling a better fit—with the exception of the theme that Casella adopts to germinate the Second Symphony's 'Epilogue'. Casella's finale, albeit less monumental than the epic apotheosis of Mahler's Second, traces a similar trajectory from darkness to triumphant C major light, marching through frequent reminiscences of Mahler's later symphonies, the Third, Sixth and Seventh.
https://www.naxos.com/mainsite/blurbs_reviews.asp?item_code=8.572414&catNum=572414&filetype=About%20this%20Recording&language=English
Very interesting, thanks!

QuoteIt remains unclear why he reused that movement. The work was premiered in april 1910 - so he might have been in a hurry...?
Laziness? Perhaps he thought nobody would notice?   ;D

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: ritter on April 21, 2020, 11:32:40 PM
The only recording I know of the complete La giara I know of is this, on the small La Bottega Discantica label from Italy:

To be honest, though, La giara is one of the rare instances  in which the concert suite includes everything that is really worthwhile in the score and feels "complete" and fully coherent; the complete ballet doesn't really add that much more IMHO. For the suite, I'm very fond of the Christian Benda recording on Naxos (with tenor Marco Beasley really seductive in the vocal number, "La storia della fanciulla rapita dai pirati"). The vintage Decca recording conducted by Fernando Previtali (reissued in a great twofer by Australian Eloquence with other Italian music more or less from the same period) also made a very good impression on me when I first listened to it recently.

Excellent, ritter. Thanks for your illuminating response. I'll investigate then.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

From Naxos:

It remains unclear why he reused that movement. The work was premiered in april 1910 - so he might have been in a hurry...?

Interesting. I'll keep this in mind when I revisit the 2nd these days.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Maybe he was copying his hero, Mahler, in how Mahler would also frequently recycle preexisting material like songs showing up in Symphony No. 1, 2, 3, at least thematically if not intact.

Mirror Image

Thought I would revive this thread...

From this "Listening" thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 07, 2022, 05:46:49 AM
NP:

Casella
La Giara, Op. 41
Riccardo Caruso, tenor
Orchestra I.C.O. Lecce
Marco Balderi

The suite of La Giara is quite good, but it's so nice hearing the complete version of it as so much great music is always left out in these suites. Excellent performance and sound quality, too.

Although Rafael does bring up an interesting point:

Quote from: ritter on April 21, 2020, 11:32:40 PM
The only recording I know of the complete La giara I know of is this, on the small La Bottega Discantica label from Italy:

To be honest, though, La giara is one of the rare instances  in which the concert suite includes everything that is really worthwhile in the score and feels "complete" and fully coherent; the complete ballet doesn't really add that much more IMHO. For the suite, I'm very fond of the Christian Benda recording on Naxos (with tenor Marco Beasley really seductive in the vocal number, "La storia della fanciulla rapita dai pirati"). The vintage Decca recording conducted by Fernando Previtali (reissued in a great twofer by Australian Eloquence with other Italian music more or less from the same period) also made a very good impression on me when I first listened to it recently.

Symphonic Addict

Not sure if I had given Casella's Triple Concerto (1933) a listen before, but glad I did it today. This composer rarely disappoints, this is a terrific work where the piano, violin and cello are perfectly integrated in the musical discourse, hooking from the ominous introduction and as a whole features propulsive energy tinged with certain acerbic harmonic touches in the outer movements (even some mildly reminding of Hindemith), and as usual with him, the slow movement emphasizes the soulful very effectively. The recording below sounded rather fine to me. There are at least other two recordings of this piece, which is a good indication about how good it is.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 05, 2023, 07:48:14 PMNot sure if I had given Casella's Triple Concerto (1933) a listen before, but glad I did it today. This composer rarely disappoints, this is a terrific work where the piano, violin and cello are perfectly integrated in the musical discourse, hooking from the ominous introduction and as a whole features propulsive energy tinged with certain acerbic harmonic touches in the outer movements (even some mildly reminding of Hindemith), and as usual with him, the slow movement emphasizes the soulful very effectively. The recording below sounded rather fine to me. There are at least other two recordings of this piece, which is a good indication about how good it is.

Don't know much of his music Cesar but I think very highly of Symphony No.2
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Is Jurowski common Russian name? How many are there conductors named Jurowski?

Maestro267

A bunch of them are related. Vladimir's father Mikhail was a conductor, and *his* father (also Vladimir) was a composer.

Brian

The other conductor on that album is also part of a famous conducting family - Kurt, Stefan, Michael, and Thomas Sanderling are father and sons.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2023, 01:17:33 AMDon't know much of his music Cesar but I think very highly of Symphony No.2

Me too, works that come from dark to light appeal to me very much. Have you ever tried his other two symphonies, Jeffrey? The Third one is particularly powerful with a very moving slow movement and is often considered as his best symphony.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

- Music In My Time - The Memoirs of Alfredo Casella
ç 1941*

*Romanian-proof!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 06, 2023, 02:26:36 PMMe too, works that come from dark to light appeal to me very much. Have you ever tried his other two symphonies, Jeffrey? The Third one is particularly powerful with a very moving slow movement and is often considered as his best symphony.
Yes I have Cesar. I remember being especially impressed by the 3rd Symphony (I think that I have a recording on Naxos) but must listen to it again.

Scion7

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2023, 12:16:30 AMthe 3rd Symphony (I think that I have a recording on Naxos)...
There is also this one.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Scion7

Good music from a pretty pleasant fellow, by all accounts.