Carl Czerny (1791-1857) - Prolific but Forgotten!

Started by SonicMan46, November 17, 2008, 07:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

I want to express my appreciation for this chamber music recording of Czerny's compositions, which also feature some of Czerny's orchestral and lieder works. The way the musicians interpret his works is truly mesmerizing. The intricate melodies and harmonies come to life, capturing the essence of Czerny's musical genius. This recording is a testament to the enduring beauty and relevance of Czerny's music, and it brings immense joy to experience such masterful interpretations. Bravo to all involved in this remarkable chamber music recording!

Such recordings offer a fresh perspective on Czerny's creativity and reveal the depth of his musical genius beyond his piano studies.

SonicMan46

Well, Leo has taken the Czerny thread to its second page!  :o  8)

For myself, I'm now up to 14 discs (see attachment if interested) - the Symphonies 2/6 CD has been in my collection for a while - but just noticed that there is also a Symphonies 1/5 recording - may look for a 'used' option - the reviews (also attached) have been good (a rather long and excellent discussion by Discophage on Amazon).  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, just checked my classical database which I've not updated in 6 months or so and have 2 Czerny additions including another printing of the Symphonies 1 & 5 - SO, really up to 16 discs by this student of Beethoven (reviews of the symphonies attached in my previous post) - Dave :)

P.S. A Musicweb Review of the Piano Fantisies for those interested.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2023, 08:55:18 AM

This is very good, both music-, performance- and sonic-wise.

In the same vein, this disc is also very worthwile:

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Leo K.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2023, 08:14:50 AMWell, Leo has taken the Czerny thread to its second page!  :o  8)

For myself, I'm now up to 14 discs (see attachment if interested) - the Symphonies 2/6 CD has been in my collection for a while - but just noticed that there is also a Symphonies 1/5 recording - may look for a 'used' option - the reviews (also attached) have been good (a rather long and excellent discussion by Discophage on Amazon).  Dave :)

Yay page 2!!

That disk of 1 & 5 is definitely recommendable. Both symphonies really put you in that era, it's fascinating.

Leo K.

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2023, 09:10:07 AMThis is very good, both music-, performance- and sonic-wise.

In the same vein, this disc is also very worthwile:

Nice! Thank you for the recommends there.

Leo K.

I am currently listening to "Practical Exercises for Beginners, Vol.1" (played by Claudio Colombo) and it is enchanting and interesting in it's progression of little light exercises, which have soothing melodies.

Nice!

Karl Henning

Interestingly (and pertinently) a piano recital I once attended at the Longy School in Cambridge included a Czerny Sonata.
Tangentially, the name comes from the adjective "black" in the Slavic languages. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Leo K. on January 19, 2024, 07:19:28 AMI am currently listening to "Practical Exercises for Beginners, Vol.1" (played by Claudio Colombo) and it is enchanting and interesting in it's progression of little light exercises, which have soothing melodies.

Nice!

Claudio Colombo does not play. He programs a computer.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!