Author Topic: Ottorino Respighi(1879-1936)  (Read 36704 times)

Ratliff

Re: Ottorino Respighi(1879-1936)
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »
Consulting my notes, I also enjoyed Respighi's String Quartet and Piano Quintet, listening some years ago. I also find mention of great appreciation of the Piano Concerti with Tozer, but I don't seem to have listened to the Toccata, according to my notes and memory.

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2020, 01:57:33 AM »
Consulting my notes, I also enjoyed Respighi's String Quartet and Piano Quintet, listening some years ago. I also find mention of great appreciation of the Piano Concerti with Tozer, but I don't seem to have listened to the Toccata, according to my notes and memory.

Regarding Respighi’s concertante works for piano and orchestra, I enjoy the Toccata (and the Fantasia slava) much more than the piano concerti.

Offline MusicTurner

« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2020, 04:20:18 AM »
Regarding Respighi’s concertante works for piano and orchestra, I enjoy the Toccata (and the Fantasia slava) much more than the piano concerti.

I like the concertos a lot, the small concerto on Naxos, and Misolidio on Chandos.

The recordings of the works on those two labels are very different from each other.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »

+1 I revisited the A minor Piano Concerto last night and found it to be a pleasant but unremarkable work. Also, I greatly enjoy the gorgeous Adagio von variazioni for cello and orchestra:

https://youtu.be/yo5cGnIU56c
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:40:51 AM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2020, 10:40:06 AM »
Yes, I have Kyle although can't remember too much about it. My favourites of Respighi are Church Windows, Concerto Gregoriano, Concerto in Modo Misolidio ( 8)), Botticelli Pictures, Pines of Rome, Ballad of the Gnomes, Metamorphoseon, Poem Autunalle, Suite for Strings and Organ and there is some very fine chamber music:

Indeed, that Chandos chamber CD is excellent. It shows a more intimate side to the composer that many people don’t know about.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2020, 12:11:08 PM »
+1 I revisited the A minor Piano Concerto last night and found it to be a pleasant but unremarkable work. Also, I greatly enjoy the gorgeous Adagio von variazioni for cello and orchestra:

the Adagio is one of his great works - just too short to feature in many concert programmes frustratingly.  Nice alongside some of those short Bruch cello concertante works perhaps?

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2020, 11:49:58 PM »
Also, I greatly enjoy the gorgeous Adagio von variazioni for cello and orchestra:
the Adagio is one of his great works - just too short to feature in many concert programmes frustratingly.  Nice alongside some of those short Bruch cello concertante works perhaps?
+1
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yo5cGnIU56c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yo5cGnIU56c</a>
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2020, 11:07:14 AM »
Thought I should jump on the Respighi bandwagon. Believe it or not I have never owned this CD before now, having just received a second-hand copy. I did, however, own it on audio-cassette in the days before I owned a CD player. 'The Ballad of the Gnomes' really is quite something in its technicolor garishness and yet is is immediately followed by the beautifully lyrical Agagio with Variations for Cello and Orchestra. Then on to the poetic and moving Botticelli Pictures and ending with the fine Suite for Organ and Strings. One of the great Respghi CDs I think with more praise for Geoffrey Simon, Alexander Baillie, Leslie Pearson, The Philharmonia and Cala Records:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »
Thought I should jump on the Respighi bandwagon. Believe it or not I have never owned this CD before now, having just received a second-hand copy. I did, however, own it on audio-cassette in the days before I owned a CD player. 'The Ballad of the Gnomes' really is quite something in its technicolor garishness and yet is is immediately followed by the beautifully lyrical Agagio with Variations for Cello and Orchestra. Then on to the poetic and moving Botticelli Pictures and ending with the fine Suite for Organ and Strings. One of the great Respghi CDs I think with more praise for Geoffrey Simon, Alexander Baillie, Leslie Pearson, The Philharmonia and Cala Records:

Yes, indeed. That’s a glorious recording, Jeffrey. It’s been reissued on hybrid SACD, which is issue I own:

“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2020, 12:18:05 PM »
Yes, indeed. That’s a glorious recording, Jeffrey. It’s been reissued on hybrid SACD, which is issue I own:

Yes, that one was quite expensive John so I had to make do with the original CD release which was cheaper (but plays fine). Just to lower the tone, a theme in the Suite for Strings and Organ kept reminding me of Ron Goodwin's score for the film 'Where Eagles Dare'!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
Yes, that one was quite expensive John so I had to make do with the original CD release which was cheaper (but plays fine). Just to lower the tone, a theme in the Suite for Strings and Organ kept reminding me of Ron Goodwin's score for the film 'Where Eagles Dare'!

I’ll have to revisit that recording, Jeffrey. It’s been too long since I’ve listened to it.

P.S. I love your avatar. I wonder where you got it? ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:54:59 PM by Mirror Image »
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
I’ll have to revisit that recording, Jeffrey. It’s been too long since I’ve listened to it.

P.S. I love your avatar. I wonder where you got it? ;) ;D

Yes, it's a long story John and far too difficult and complex to explain, especially as it's almost midnight here.
 ;)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
Yes, it's a long story John and far too difficult and complex to explain, especially as it's almost midnight here.
 ;)

:P