Ottorino Respighi(1879-1936)

Started by Dundonnell, May 12, 2009, 04:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Wow! I didn't expect such a positive reply! Another fan of the Sinfonia Drammatica! :)

SymphonicAddict

Hehe of course! It is difficult not to be mesmerized by its charms

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 01, 2017, 01:49:57 PMAnother fan of the Sinfonia Drammatica! :)

Count me in. I heard the Sinfonia D for the first time just a few months ago (after purchasing it unheard) and loved it. A few here offered me condolence on a lame purchase but, in fact, it turned out splendidly. No buyer's remorse.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 01, 2017, 03:08:30 PM
Lesas than 20$ on Amazon

I wonder how the performances are?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 01, 2017, 05:58:11 PM
I wonder how the performances are?
Was well reviewed I think John - here is a review of one of the volumes:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/June13/Respighi_orchestral_v3_94394.htm

And here's another one featuring the excellent 'Metamorphoseon':

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Mar14/Respighi_orchestral_v4_94395.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 01, 2017, 10:10:20 PM
Was well reviewed I think John - here is a review of one of the volumes:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/June13/Respighi_orchestral_v3_94394.htm

And here's another one featuring the excellent 'Metamorphoseon':

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Mar14/Respighi_orchestral_v4_94395.htm

Very nice, Jeffrey. Thanks for the feedback. I've a feeling that Andre is ignoring me or has me on ignore as I've made several replies to several of his posts on different threads and he never replies back. :-\

André

Where did you get that impression ?? I do reply to your posts - sometimes 3-4 pages down the road, but I do  8). Regarding the Respighi set, I couldn't comment, as I have not heard it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 02, 2017, 08:22:26 AM
Where did you get that impression ?? I do reply to your posts - sometimes 3-4 pages down the road, but I do  8). Regarding the Respighi set, I couldn't comment, as I have not heard it.

Sorry about this wrongful assumption, Andre. I don't know why I felt this way.

André

Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't know how to put someone on an "ignore" list  :D.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 02, 2017, 10:39:08 AM
Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't know how to put someone on an "ignore" list  :D.

Hah! ;D

SymphonicAddict

Just I listened to 'Poema autunnale' and 'Concerto Gregoriano'

Simply, majestic and full of beautiness. Really magnific pieces.

Maestro267

Listening to Belkis, Queen of Sheba and Metamorphoseon, a new purchase today (Philharmonia/Simon). An absolute riot of orchestral colour!

vandermolen

Concerto Gregoriano and Metamorphoseon are fine works. When I caught part of Concerto Gregoriano on the radio I thought that it must be by Finzi or another English composer! It is one of my favourite violin concertos. I've just received a CD of Antal Dorati conducting 'Church Windows' through the Dorati Society which I hope to listen to this evening.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

adriano

1) The specification "complete" on the cover of the Brilliant Classics CD box is a lie. There are at least 15 works missing! I only heard that it was intended to become a "complete" project, but the Rome orchestra was dissolved in 2014 due to the withdrawal of its sponsors.

2) And those in this forum calling Respighi a "loud composer" should get to know his complete works before telling such nonsense. Besides many pieces for chamber orchestra, Respighi has also written chamber music and songs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Ottorino_Respighi

vandermolen

Quote from: adriano on February 05, 2017, 11:03:13 PM
1) The specification "complete" on the cover of the Brilliant Classics CD box is a lie. There are at least 15 works missing! I only heard that it was intended to become a "complete" project, but the Rome orchestra was dissolved in 2014 due to the withdrawal of its sponsors.

2) And those in this forum calling Respighi a "loud composer" should get to know his complete works before telling such nonsense. Besides many pieces for chamber orchestra, Respighi has also written chamber music and songs:

His chamber music is often very poetic. Three Botticelli Pictures is also a beautiful and not loud work either.

Christo

Quote from: adriano on February 05, 2017, 11:03:13 PM

Great and honoured to see you here, as the most pre-eminent Respighi expert. Hope to learn a lot from you.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on February 11, 2017, 07:54:11 AM
Great and honoured to see you here, as the most pre-eminent Respighi expert. Hope to learn a lot from you.  :)
+1
And thank you for Fanelli, Auric, Honegger etcetera which have given me many hours of listening pleasure.

relm1

Why hasn't there ever been a complete recording of Belkis, Queen of Sheba?  Only multiple recordings of the suite but the music seems worthy of a full release by a commercially successful composer.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on February 27, 2017, 03:35:38 PM
Why hasn't there ever been a complete recording of Belkis, Queen of Sheba?  Only multiple recordings of the suite but the music seems worthy of a full release by a commercially successful composer.

Perhaps it's because Respighi has yet to really take ahold of the classical music world. Don't get wrong, he composed some good music, but out of the 'Roman Trilogy,' the rest of the music he composed isn't all too well known.