Ottorino Respighi(1879-1936)

Started by Dundonnell, May 12, 2009, 04:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 07, 2011, 12:29:42 PM
I agree, it's a very beautiful and impressive work; what a pity Respighi is mainly known just for the Roman Trilogy, he composed many other outstanding pieces! :) About Belkis, Queen of Sheba, the War Dance is my favourite part as well, really harmonic and powerful :)

I endorse this message. :)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2011, 12:36:54 PM
I endorse this message. :)

;)

Just for curiosity, may I ask you what's your favourite Respighi's work John? Despite being a little expected, mine is the Roman Trilogy, especially Pines of Rome.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 07, 2011, 12:51:18 PM
;)

Just for curiosity, may I ask you what's your favourite Respighi's work John? Despite being a little expected, mine is the Roman Trilogy, especially Pines of Rome.

That's a tough call, I really love Church Windows, Pines of Rome, Belkis, Queen of Sheba, Three Botticelli Pictures, Concerto Gregoriano, and La Sensitiva, but I'm sure I could think of more. 8)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2011, 11:59:02 AM
What do you think about Belkis, Queen of Sheba, Ilaria? I think this is a fine work as well. The War Dance, in particular, is absolutely fantastic.

I'll join the War Dance fan club as well! Had it playing consistently on a loop for around an hour today, absolutely thrilling music!

I still have much more Respighi to explore so shall definitely report back!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 07, 2011, 01:24:30 PM
I'll join the War Dance fan club as well! Had it playing consistently on a loop for around an hour today, absolutely thrilling music!

I still have much more Respighi to explore so shall definitely report back!

Wow, you listened to War Dance for almost an hour? ??? You must really like it. 8) I know I've repeated it several times when I first heard it, especially the part towards the end when the orchestra just explodes.

springrite

The one recording that impressed me the most and got me into Respighi was the CHANDOS recording of Church Windows and Queen of Sheba, under Simon. I heard it when I was buying my AR speakers and it was the demo CD at the store. I went and bought the CD the very next day.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on November 07, 2011, 03:43:37 PM
The one recording that impressed me the most and got me into Respighi was the CHANDOS recording of Church Windows and Queen of Sheba, under Simon. I heard it when I was buying my AR speakers and it was the demo CD at the store. I went and bought the CD the very next day.

Both of those recordings are outstanding, springrite. Two of my favorite Respighi discs for sure.

AndanteCantabile

Wow! I'm listening to Church Windows for the first time and find it quite impressive. What a pity that Respighi's oeuvre is so little-played outside of the Roman Trilogy.

lescamil

Not much love for the Concerto in Modo Misolidio here. I really love this work, and I think it shows that Respighi had a hidden knack for composing for the piano that he perhaps didn't exploit enough. I love the way he treats the piano, which is similar to how Busoni handled it in his piano music. The work is far from being insurmountable for a pianist, which should make it an attractive choice to learn for pianists who know of the work. Get the Chandos recordings of the piano and orchestra works. The Naxos recordings with Scherbakov have a terrible piano and dull sound and mechanical, lifeless playing. The new recording with Olli Mustonen playing the Concerto in Modo Misolidio leaves me a bit puzzled. He does some weird things interpretatively that I don't know what to make of. Maybe others will like it.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Mirror Image

Quote from: lescamil on November 07, 2011, 06:00:39 PMGet the Chandos recordings of the piano and orchestra works.

Already have. 8)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2011, 03:30:45 PM
Wow, you listened to War Dance for almost an hour? ??? You must really like it. 8) I know I've repeated it several times when I first heard it, especially the part towards the end when the orchestra just explodes.

haha :) Yes, and the part towards the end that you mention is my favourite part as well! So thrilling!

Quote from: springrite on November 07, 2011, 03:43:37 PM

Certainly is a great recording, I agree!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2011, 03:30:45 PM

It's happening again now.... :D Listening to the War Dance for the 7th time in a row now...  :P
— Ludwig van Beethoven

cjvinthechair

Having ignored Respighi for years as a 'one trick pony' I've just discovered his sumptuous music. Currently listening to 'La Pentola Magica', but so many other pieces beg for attention.
If promoters want to get 'bums on seats' with supremely accessible music they could do worse than a season of this gentleman - magnifico !
Clive.

drogulus

Can someone recommend the Chandos piano and orchestra disc I should be looking for? The navigation on their site is truly awful.

I think this is the one lescamil and Mirror Image are talking about.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Dundonnell

Yes..that Chandos cd is good and well-recorded, although it is only fair to say that some reviewers think that the Scherbakov on Naxos(which lescamil so dislikes) is an infinitely better reading ::)

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

lescamil

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 06, 2012, 03:08:47 PM
Yes..that Chandos cd is good and well-recorded, although it is only fair to say that some reviewers think that the Scherbakov on Naxos(which lescamil so dislikes) is an infinitely better reading ::)

You're right about me disliking it, but I don't dislike it as much as I used to. Either one is fine for a first timer, but for the true connoisseurs of those works for piano and orchestra, Tozer brings a certain excitement and passion to it that Scherbakov doesn't quite get here. That and his piano is very dull and sounds like there is a pillow in it.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

cilgwyn

I remember taping the 'Concerto in modo misolidio' off the radio & being 'grabbed' by it! The library had the Chandos cd & the Sinfonia Drammatica. They got played allot for a while,but I admit I haven't heard them for a while. The Concerto in modo misolidio (maybe the catchy title doesn't help?) is very lush & OTT,has one or two moments where Respighi's inspiration seems to wander a little,but,oh my goodness,it's fun to listen to,like Korngold's Sinfonietta,it really lifts you up & I seem to remember that the slow movement has a wonderful tune. The Sinfonia Drammatica is another one. Please sir,can we have it at the Proms!!! ;D

Pizzetti's Canti della Stagione alta,(for Piano & orchestra)in a very similar vein,has some wonderful tunes  that seem as if they have come out of some wonderful romantic movie,or maybe a Fellini? I love the way Pizzetti brings the melody in the first movement back at the end. Again very OTT,I suppose & Hollywood,but like the Respighi,it lifts you up. It does have one or two moments of bombast,but the orchestration is so lush! I have the Marco Polo recording,incidentally,which is very good for that company. Marvellous stuff,in it's own,not too subtle,way! I recently bought the Accord release of his opera 'Fedra'. No english language libretto,annoyingly,but his orchestration is so rich & dramatic I didn't really mind that much. Having said that,omissions like that don't really help a neglected opera composers cause!  >:( For anyone curious about this opera,the Accord set is very well performed & recorded. Having said that,not all Pizzetti cd's are that good. The recent Naxos cd of his 'Concerto dell'estate' was quite pleasant,but still a MAJOR disappointment after the wonderful Hyperion recording of (some of) his orchestral music & his very beautiful & imho,masterly, 'Messa di Requiem'.

And,back to Respighi! :o ;D

vandermolen

I like this performance of the Piano Concerto (Modo Misolidio). Church Windows is another favourite, especially in the Geoffrey Simon version on Chandos.
[asin]B003X859P2[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 07, 2012, 02:33:54 AM
I remember taping the 'Concerto in modo misolidio' off the radio & being 'grabbed' by it! The library had the Chandos cd & the Sinfonia Drammatica. They got played allot for a while,but I admit I haven't heard them for a while. The Concerto in modo misolidio (maybe the catchy title doesn't help?) is very lush & OTT,has one or two moments where Respighi's inspiration seems to wander a little,but,oh my goodness,it's fun to listen to,like Korngold's Sinfonietta,it really lifts you up & I seem to remember that the slow movement has a wonderful tune. The Sinfonia Drammatica is another one. Please sir,can we have it at the Proms!!! ;D

Pizzetti's Canti della Stagione alta,(for Piano & orchestra)in a very similar vein,has some wonderful tunes  that seem as if they have come out of some wonderful romantic movie,or maybe a Fellini? I love the way Pizzetti brings the melody in the first movement back at the end. Again very OTT,I suppose & Hollywood,but like the Respighi,it lifts you up. It does have one or two moments of bombast,but the orchestration is so lush! I have the Marco Polo recording,incidentally,which is very good for that company. Marvellous stuff,in it's own,not too subtle,way! I recently bought the Accord release of his opera 'Fedra'. No english language libretto,annoyingly,but his orchestration is so rich & dramatic I didn't really mind that much. Having said that,omissions like that don't really help a neglected opera composers cause!  >:( For anyone curious about this opera,the Accord set is very well performed & recorded. Having said that,not all Pizzetti cd's are that good. The recent Naxos cd of his 'Concerto dell'estate' was quite pleasant,but still a MAJOR disappointment after the wonderful Hyperion recording of (some of) his orchestral music & his very beautiful & imho,masterly, 'Messa di Requiem'.

And,back to Respighi! :o ;D

I can certainly understand your disappointment with Pizzetti, cilgwyn. That Hyperion recording (w/ Vanska) is really the only Pizzetti recording I heard that impressed me. The Naxos recordings were just mediocre all around.

Anyway, yes, back to Respighi....