Author Topic: Giacinto Scelsi (1905-1988)  (Read 29426 times)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Giacinto Scelsi (1905-1988)
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2016, 12:45:40 AM »
I've been getting fascinated by his work a lot recently, all in coincidence. I've heard some of his most notable works, what are your big recommendations?  :)
Along with the set John mentions above, I'd recommend this one.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cG-VxokvJFk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cG-VxokvJFk</a>    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8pMLuZoOmqU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8pMLuZoOmqU</a>
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2016, 08:20:41 AM »
I would also recommend the quartets (except for #1 which is a weird transitional piece). Scelsi's improvisational writing and slow harmonic changes translate particularly well to the medium, with the quartet for the most part treated as a single instrument able to play very dense harmonies.

The above is the latest incarnation of the only complete set of the quartets (which, since it was done by the Ardittis, is eminently recommendable).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2016, 02:02:26 PM »

1) The Accord Orchestral Box

2) The Forlane CD of 'Music for String Orchestra' (which I recommend over the ECM disc)

3) The SQs in the original Salabert Box, oh so historic!!

3) The INA, Memoire Viva disc of perfect fill-ups

4) Accord disc with 'Elegia per Ty'

5) Accord disc with 'Xynobis'

6)

7)

There, The Seven Pillars of Scelsi. What I have there pretty much covers it for me. Lately, I can only listen to some of the selected Orchestral Works, the Ensemble and String Works, and maybe a couple of the SQs. His solo writing for winds leaves me cold for the most part. The 2e2m disc, which actually has a lot of stuff on it, was a disappointment to me.

His Piano Music has not yet touched me, maybe it's the Pianists? I saw that Schleiermacher has a disc, and the MDG engineers always do sooomething interesting with him. His Vocal Music is only for people who consider Xenakis's singing too conservative, oy vey!!

I say, don't go too whole-hog with Scelsi, get that First Choice Box and marinate in that for a while. With the Forlane disc, you then have all of his larger output, minus 'Kya' and 'Pranam' (on the INA disc).

His "guitar piece" is what makes me suspicious of him, -though, -it WAS the '60s. But, that piece seems to reveal some limitations... nevermind, I didn't say anything........

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
I'm riding the Scelsi train  8)

Resistance was futile  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

nodogen

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2017, 04:44:54 AM »
DOG

snyprrr

I'm riding the Scelsi train  8)

GOD

I may very well be a Scelsian in a matter of months, who knows?  :laugh:

Well, ultimately, there IS a question: does God "sound" more like Scelsi, or Bach? I know it seems as though Scelsi may have the upper hand, but, keep in mind that his seeems to be the more naturalistic, organic, "non-engineered" process, whereas Bach clearly comes from A Knowing, Conscious, Intelligent Meta-Mind (if you will), organizing hierarchies...

though, perhaps, both Composers will "start to sound the same" after a while?...

lol, where am I going with this?...

Both Composers were utilizing the Trinitarian Mind (left hemisphere+right hemisphere+mind) which was created by the Trinitarian matter (neutron+proton+electron), yet, they come to different terms... Bach obviously illuminates Trinitarian Doctrine, whereas one might have to sift through Scelsi to find out how the Three Become One...

I dunno... mm?...

Xenakis comes almost the closest to "sounding like God", since he uses His math. The only problem is that, then, Xenakis doesn't give God the credit... wait... for... IX takes a lot of Igor, including the sort of human-sounding "wailing of the soul" double basses which one hears at the beginning of both IS's 'Requiem Canticles' and IX's 'Sea-Change'. But, at least with IX, this suffering only covers the "creation"... with Bach, at least, we know that he also covers the "Creator"...

All "Naturalistic" Composers are missing a "something"? What is it? If we already like their music "without Creator", how much more Glorious would Xenakis have sounded if he also gave credence to an All Knowing-Always Present-All Powerful Creator?

Xenakis probably thought HE was "The Composer", whereas, Scelsi at least seems to make it known that he is only, as IS would say, a "vessel".

Iannis, WHO Created the numbers you loved so much? If the Universe is RandomlyCreated, why then is the World of Numbers so Perfect?

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
Iannis, WHO Created the numbers you loved so much? If the Universe is RandomlyCreated, why then is the World of Numbers so Perfect?

Because numbers are an idealized abstraction?
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

snyprrr

Because numbers are an idealized abstraction?

oy vey, will I get no rest? :laugh:

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Le premier mouvement de l'immobile, a 2018 documentary on Scelsi is available on Arte for about a month or so:

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/072442-000-A/giacinto-scelsi-le-premier-mouvement-de-l-immobile/
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole