Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990

Started by vandermolen, May 13, 2009, 03:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamyrabyrd

It was a double-take hearing from the TV in back of me while typing on the computer about the 100th anniversary year of Leonard Bernstein. Hey, wait a minute, he was born on August 25, 1918 (sun in Virgo but plenty of other planets in Leo the Lion)*. Someone decided the birthday celebrations are beginning a year in advance, yay!

This is a good example of Lenny in his prime. Many versions of the Sacre don't have the bite, the simmering and clarity, or if they do, not necessarily all three together. There are plenty frontal shots of his conducting, so you know he was not sneaking a peek in a score:

https://www.youtube.com/v/a9M2oTHa3GM&t=2s

*https://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Leonard_Bernstein
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

I'm pleased to see the Bernstein Centenary being fully commemorated in the Proms in London later this year. Two of my favourites, 'Jeremiah' Symphony and 'The Age of Anxiety' are being performed amongst much else. There has been some fuss in the press here about a non-Latin American singer being cast as 'Maria' in West Side Story (she has withdrawn from the project). Still, I hope to get to see one or both of the symphonies being performed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43891939
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Oh jeez...I thought we were supposed to be going towards inclusivity in everything, where everyone is allowed to do anything.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 30, 2018, 12:18:00 AM
Oh jeez...I thought we were supposed to be going towards inclusivity in everything, where everyone is allowed to do anything.

I agree, and this issue is something more to do with setting up better opportunities for those who typically find it more difficult to get roles in operas and music theatre due to embedded prejudices as well as more generally eliminating conscious and unconscious biases to even out the playing field. I'm not sure exactly how this applies to fictional characters.

vandermolen

Good point.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 30, 2018, 12:06:37 AM
I'm pleased to see the Bernstein Centenary being fully commemorated in the Proms in London later this year. Two of my favourites, 'Jeremiah' Symphony and 'The Age of Anxiety' are being performed amongst much else. There has been some fuss in the press here about a non-Latin American singer being cast as 'Maria' in West Side Story (she has withdrawn from the project). Still, I hope to get to see one or both of the symphonies being performed.

Yes, Symphony No. 1, 'Jeremiah' and Symphony No. 2, 'The Age of Anxiety' are fantastic works unlike his embarrassingly empty and garbled Mass, which I have never understood the appeal (for those that actually like the work). I also love On the Waterfront, Fancy Free, Serenade, Facsimile, and West Side Story (perhaps Lenny's greatest musical contribution IMHO).

Have any of you considered getting this set?

Alsop was a protégée of Bernstein's and her affinity for his idiom (from what I've heard anyway) sounds quite good I must say.

Crudblud

I believe the idea is that it is okay or even preferable to "reimagine" roles that would traditionally be played by white people as "minority" roles because most roles are "white" to begin with. To do it the other way around, and have a "minority" role be done "white", is "whitewashing". I don't really have an opinion on this particular instance, as far as I'm concerned the best person for the job will do regardless of what demographic categories are foisted upon them by accident of birth, but the choice of a performer to step down from a role is their own, even if it is politically motivated and encouraged by external forces. However, it does seem to be related to the broader culture of treating demographic imbalances as injustices and trying to remedy them with quotas rather than with legitimate equality of opportunity.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 04, 2018, 07:29:44 AM
Yes, Symphony No. 1, 'Jeremiah' and Symphony No. 2, 'The Age of Anxiety' are fantastic works unlike his embarrassingly empty and garbled Mass, which I have never understood the appeal (for those that actually like the work). I also love On the Waterfront, Fancy Free, Serenade, Facsimile, and West Side Story (perhaps Lenny's greatest musical contribution IMHO).

Alsop was a protégée of Bernstein's and her affinity for his idiom (from what I've heard anyway) sounds quite good I must say.
It's very tempting I must say John but I think I have most of my favourites already as single Naxos releases from this fine series. Symphony 1 'Jeremiah' and 2 'Age of Anxiety' are indeed excellent performances.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2018, 01:49:06 PM
It's very tempting I must say John but I think I have most of my favourites already as single Naxos releases from this fine series. Symphony 1 'Jeremiah' and 2 'Age of Anxiety' are indeed excellent performances.

I don't own all of Alsop's Bernstein recordings, but there's two new, never-before-released discs in this box set of some misc. orchestral works performed by the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra. I wouldn't say this would be reason enough for me to buy it, though. I'd like to pick up her recording of Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 04, 2018, 06:29:01 PM
I don't own all of Alsop's Bernstein recordings, but there's two new, never-before-released discs in this box set of some misc. orchestral works performed by the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra. I wouldn't say this would be reason enough for me to buy it, though. I'd like to pick up her recording of Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2.
The box is still tempting I know. It is comparatively inexpensive and there is some bonus stuff in there unavailable elsewhere. Certainly I'd recommended the CD with symphonies 1 and 2 on. I've never really got on with 'Mass' either although some see it as Bernstein's masterpiece. I've also never really got on with the melodramatic Symphony 3 'Kaddish' although I should listen to both works again. I have a rather nice boxed set of 'original jackets' with Bernstein's compositions in mini versions of their original LP sleeves (not one of the recent much more expensive releases). I was amused reading an interview with Bernstein's daughter Jamie to discover that, as children, they only realised that their father was a well-known person whilst watching an episode of 'The Flintstones' on TV when Fred Flintstone announced that he was going to a concert conducted by 'Leonard Burnstone' at the 'Hollyrock Bowl'.

NikF

Quote from: vandermolen on April 30, 2018, 12:06:37 AM

We've a few events up here in the North as part of 'Bernstein at 100'. Tonight there's the RSNO performing his MASS, and beforehand I'll be at a smaller venue to hear his Piano Trio. Also, the SSO season opener includes his Songfest, which will be completely new to me.
Anyway, hope you get to hear the symphonies. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF on May 04, 2018, 11:09:30 PM
We've a few events up here in the North as part of 'Bernstein at 100'. Tonight there's the RSNO performing his MASS, and beforehand I'll be at a smaller venue to hear his Piano Trio. Also, the SSO season opener includes his Songfest, which will be completely new to me.
Anyway, hope you get to hear the symphonies. :)
Excellent! Hope you enjoy the concert Nik. I'm sure that seeing the Mass live will be interesting and I look forward to hearing what you think of the performances. I've always loved the 'Jeremiah' Symphony since the days of LP. 'The Age of Anxiety' has been a recent discovery for me and I've played various recorded performances many times recently. I like the Chandos, Slatkin CD of both works but also Bernstein's own both on CBS/Sony and DGG as well as the historic version of 'Jeremiah' on Pearl/Dutton. 'Facsimile' is another of my favourite Bernstein works and 'On the Waterfront' - his only film score.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2018, 10:46:59 PM
The box is still tempting I know. It is comparatively inexpensive and there is some bonus stuff in there unavailable elsewhere. Certainly I'd recommended the CD with symphonies 1 and 2 on. I've never really got on with 'Mass' either although some see it as Bernstein's masterpiece. I've also never really got on with the melodramatic Symphony 3 'Kaddish' although I should listen to both works again. I have a rather nice boxed set of 'original jackets' with Bernstein's compositions in mini versions of their original LP sleeves (not one of the recent much more expensive releases). I was amused reading an interview with Bernstein's daughter Jamie to discover that, as children, they only realised that their father was a well-known person whilst watching an episode of 'The Flintstones' on TV when Fred Flintstone announced that he was going to a concert conducted by 'Leonard Burnstone' at the 'Hollyrock Bowl'.

I own that original jacks box set as well. I believe it's one of those Carnegie Hall Presents... box sets. I got it really cheap many years ago. Yes, I'm not fan of the third symphony ('Kaddish') either. That's quite amusing about the Leonard Burnstone at the Hollyrock Bowl. :D

NikF

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2018, 11:18:44 PM
Excellent! Hope you enjoy the concert Nik. I'm sure that seeing the Mass live will be interesting and I look forward to hearing what you think of the performances. I've always loved the 'Jeremiah' Symphony since the days of LP. 'The Age of Anxiety' has been a recent discovery for me and I've played various recorded performances many times recently. I like the Chandos, Slatkin CD of both works but also Bernstein's own both on CBS/Sony and DGG as well as the historic version of 'Jeremiah' on Pearl/Dutton. 'Facsimile' is another of my favourite Bernstein works and 'On the Waterfront' - his only film score.

When a concert performance is due to be the first time I hear a piece I usually make a point of not listening to any recordings of it beforehand. That was the case here, but was one of the occasions when perhaps a listen ahead would have helped prepare for the breadth and scope of what was coming up. Now here this morning (while not fully awake yet) I'm considering it to have been an attempt for him to try and say and include everything, perhaps a kind of compilation of not just the ideas found in his own compositions, but also the approach he takes when interpreting others. I'm sure at some point I'll find a CD and at leisure try to find my bearings. ;D But I'm glad I experienced it. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF on May 05, 2018, 10:21:53 PM
When a concert performance is due to be the first time I hear a piece I usually make a point of not listening to any recordings of it beforehand. That was the case here, but was one of the occasions when perhaps a listen ahead would have helped prepare for the breadth and scope of what was coming up. Now here this morning (while not fully awake yet) I'm considering it to have been an attempt for him to try and say and include everything, perhaps a kind of compilation of not just the ideas found in his own compositions, but also the approach he takes when interpreting others. I'm sure at some point I'll find a CD and at leisure try to find my bearings. ;D But I'm glad I experienced it. :)
How interesting. Thanks very much for the feedback Nik.

zamyrabyrd

It's incredible to think that Lenny has been gone for almost 30 years now.
I do agree with your choice of his best compositions.

zb
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

San Antone

Alsop's recording of Mass is the best, imo.  Oops!   :o   I forgot.  You don't understand why people, like me, enjoy Mass

:-[

Well, there's still hope for you.   8)

Roasted Swan

embarrassingly empty and garbled Mass, which I have never understood the appeal (for those that actually like the work).

I'm one of those who have always loved "Mass" .  Not blindly, not in its entirety but as some kind of patchwork sampler of its time and the hopes and aspirations of that time.  I think it will date (has dated) in the way other Bernstein works have not but even then as a kind of period piece I find it often deeply moving.  I think it also represents its creator remarkably well - a host of influences/styles/aspirations/ideas.  I also think it is one of the very very few works that tries to bridge the divide between "Art" music and "Popular" music which works more than it doesn't.  All the other kind of "Concerto for Rock Band & Orchestra" or concept albums trying to fuse Rock with Cassical are abject failures to my ears by ending up dumbing down both genres.

As to why it can be described as "garbled" I have no idea.

By the way - the new DG Nezet-Seguin recording is awful!

Roasted Swan

A less well-known version of Symphonies 1&2 [asin]B01M03E1B4[/asin] - well played by the Arnhem Orchestra but of particular interest for Jard van Nes' excellent and moving singing of the "Lamentation" movement in No.1