Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990

Started by vandermolen, May 13, 2009, 03:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 22, 2020, 09:39:20 AM
thankyou - I will!
OT

RS

I've just fully taken in  your 'Merry Maker Excursion' avatar photo which is very funny.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

Has anyone heard these recordings of Age of Anxiety?  What can you say about them?

The Ulster Orchestra, Marc-André Hamelin

NYPO, Alan Gilbert, Makato Ozone

James Tocco, Leonard Slatkin, BBC Symphony Orchestra

The Slatkin is probably on Spotify, but the other two are unavailable to stream.  I like all the other works included with Bernstein's Sym2.

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 10:43:37 AM
Has anyone heard these recordings of Age of Anxiety?  What can you say about them?

This one is pretty good but it pales in comparison with the Zimerman/Rattle I heard many nights ago. To be honest, I think I'm good with recordings of this work. I mean I've got Zimerman/Rattle, Rana/Pappano, Entremont/Bernstein, Foss/Bernstein, Hamelin/Sitkovetsky, and Thibaudet/Alsop.

San Antone

Cross-posted from WAYL2 thread

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 10:52:35 AM

Symphony No. 2 "The Age of Anxiety"
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Marin Alsop, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

I can't decide if I like this version better than the Zimerman/Rattle account.  I've never been a fan of Simon Rattle, and Marin Alsop usually is an excellent Bernstein interpreter.  Finally, Thibaudet has a real affinity for American composers, I think highy of his Rhapsody in Blue, and as I expect will be his playing this Bernstein work.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2020, 10:48:42 AM
This one [Hamelin] is pretty good but it pales in comparison with the Zimerman/Rattle I heard many nights ago. To be honest, I think I'm good with recordings of this work. I mean I've got Zimerman/Rattle, Rana/Pappano, Entremont/Bernstein, Foss/Bernstein, Hamelin/Sitkovetsky, and Thibaudet/Alsop.

See my remarks above - I like Thibaudet/Alsop, maybe better than Zimerman/Rattle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 10:55:13 AM
Cross-posted from WAYL2 thread

See my remarks above - I like Thibaudet/Alsop, maybe better than Zimerman/Rattle.

I haven't heard the Thibaudet/Alsop performance yet, but coming off the high I received from the Zimerman/Rattle, I'm sure my opinion will be more than colored by this fantastic listening experience.

vers la flamme

I probably posted about this recently in another thread, but I just got the Thibaudet/Alsop/Baltimore recording of the Age of Anxiety, and when I opened the package I saw that the CD had been signed by Marin Alsop.  :o

San Antone

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 22, 2020, 01:10:26 PM
I probably posted about this recently in another thread, but I just got the Thibaudet/Alsop/Baltimore recording of the Age of Anxiety, and when I opened the package I saw that the CD had been signed by Marin Alsop.  :o

Good for you!

TD

Missa Brevis

First listen. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 01:30:06 PM

Missa Brevis

First listen.

What do you think about this work, San Antone? Surprised to see it's a first-listen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 22, 2020, 01:10:26 PM

That's awesome, vers la flamme. Something similar happened to me as I bought a CD of Argerich with Dutoit conducting and both musicians signed the disc, although, in hindsight, I wish Dutoit hadn't signed the disc. He's a grade A sleaze bag.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2020, 05:57:51 PM
What do you think about this work, San Antone? Surprised to see it's a first-listen.

I liked it, and read a little about its origin.  Will have to listen to it more before I can form a true opinion.  He completed it just a year before he died and never recorded it himself - which is too bad, but Alsop does a good job.  The percussion parts are optional except for the chimes and bells.  I'd like to hear a more stripped down version if one exists.

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 06:47:44 PM
I liked it, and read a little about its origin.  Will have to listen to it more before I can form a true opinion.  He completed it just a year before he died and never recorded it himself - which is too bad, but Alsop does a good job.  The percussion parts are optional except for the chimes and bells.  I'd like to hear a more stripped down version if one exists.

Very nice. That's too bad Lenny didn't record it. The only other performances of this work available in terms of commercial recordings besides Alsop's are Leonard Slatkin and Robert Shaw.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2020, 06:51:22 PM
Very nice. That's too bad Lenny didn't record it. The only other performances of this work available in terms of commercial recordings besides Alsop's are Leonard Slatkin and Robert Shaw.

Robert Shaw was instrumental in the piece getting written, but it took something like 35 years for Bernstein to follow through.  I will try to find those recordings and listen to them, hopefully without buying them.

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 06:55:13 PM
Robert Shaw was instrumental in the piece getting written, but it took something like 35 years for Bernstein to follow through.  I will try to find those recordings and listen to them, hopefully without buying them.

8)

Bernstein was a busy man. So many obligations, so little time.

vandermolen

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 10:43:37 AM

NYPO, Alan Gilbert, Makato Ozone

James Tocco, Leonard Slatkin, BBC Symphony Orchestra

The Slatkin is probably on Spotify, but the other two are unavailable to stream.  I like all the other works included with Bernstein's Sym2.
I liked the Hyperion CD (also for the Bolcom work) but I agree with John (MI) that the recent DGG release of 'The Age of Anxiety' is in a class of its own. I do, however, strongly recommend Slatkin's Chandos disc of the first two symphonies. If I wanted a CD of those fine scores on one disc I'd be happy with that CD of two fine performances. The Alsop Naxos CD is also very good in my view if you want modern recordings. I don't know the other CD. If you just want The Age of Anxiety go for the Zimerman disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2020, 10:30:10 AM
OT

RS

I've just fully taken in  your 'Merry Maker Excursion' avatar photo which is very funny.

Glad you like the avatar picture - it helps me channel some Eric Coates as well as making me laugh every tome I look at it!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2020, 06:34:36 PM
That's awesome, vers la flamme. Something similar happened to me as I bought a CD of Argerich with Dutoit conducting and both musicians signed the disc, although, in hindsight, I wish Dutoit hadn't signed the disc. He's a grade A sleaze bag.

Agreed! Damn fine conductor, but I can't even listen to his music on account of his horrific (alleged) actions and, worse, his complete unrepentance. Anyway, I am a huge fan of Martha Argerich (Dutoit's former wife, and they did have great chemistry together musically speaking) so that is amazing that you got a signature from her.

Anyway, I still have yet to listen to that disc with the symphonies, so I will refrain from posting further here and cluttering the thread until I get around to it.  ;D

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2020, 10:14:09 PM
I liked the Hyperion CD (also for the Bolcom work) but I agree with John (MI) that the recent DGG release of 'The Age of Anxiety' is in a class of its own. I do, however, strongly recommend Slatkin's Chandos disc of the first two symphonies. If I wanted a CD of those fine scores on one disc I'd be happy with that CD of two fine performances. The Alsop Naxos CD is also very good in my view if you want modern recordings. I don't know the other CD. If you just want The Age of Anxiety go for the Zimerman disc.

I know the Zimerman disc and agree it is very good, but rate the Thibaudet/Alsop high as well.  I listened to the Slatkin/Chandos CD last night and will probably purchase the Hamelin/Hyperion disc at some point.

Thanks for your comments.

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2020, 06:55:13 PM

8)

Very nice.

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 23, 2020, 02:38:42 AM
Agreed! Damn fine conductor, but I can't even listen to his music on account of his horrific (alleged) actions and, worse, his complete unrepentance. Anyway, I am a huge fan of Martha Argerich (Dutoit's former wife, and they did have great chemistry together musically speaking) so that is amazing that you got a signature from her.

Anyway, I still have yet to listen to that disc with the symphonies, so I will refrain from posting further here and cluttering the thread until I get around to it.  ;D

Dutoit was at his best during his Montreal days. I can't say I've bothered to follow his career prior to his time in Montreal. Argerich continues to impress me, but sometimes she's not always the best advocate of a piece and I get turned off by her intense playing.

Anyway....back to Bernstein's music.

vandermolen

Quote from: San Antone on January 23, 2020, 03:42:33 AM
I know the Zimerman disc and agree it is very good, but rate the Thibaudet/Alsop high as well.  I listened to the Slatkin/Chandos CD last night and will probably purchase the Hamelin/Hyperion disc at some point.

Thanks for your comments.

8)
Yes, it has a great cover image as well!
:)

vandermolen

Ok. What's the best version of the 'On the Waterfront' music?