Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990

Started by vandermolen, May 13, 2009, 03:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

I know Marin Alsop's reviews here on this board have been mixed at best (I do have to give her credit for what she chooses to record, though), but this piece on Lenny's Third Symphony I thought was interesting.  Whether one agrees with all her points or not, its nice to see someone championing this work:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/09/29/161824558/leonard-bernsteins-kaddish-symphony-a-crisis-of-faith
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 29, 2012, 05:54:33 PM
I know Marin Alsop's reviews here on this board have been mixed at best (I do have to give her credit for what she chooses to record, though), but this piece on Lenny's Third Symphony I thought was interesting.  Whether one agrees with all her points or not, its nice to see someone championing this work:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/09/29/161824558/leonard-bernsteins-kaddish-symphony-a-crisis-of-faith

Thanks for this, Bill. I actually like Bernstein's Kiddish symphony. A work that has a lot of flaws sure, but it is a fascinating work. I often compare a work like this to Tippett's last two symphonies, because despite what one would perhaps call 'orchestral clumsiness,' there's an honesty and an ingenuity about it that I find compelling. I love Bernstein's other two symphonies as well.

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2012, 08:38:56 PM
Thanks for this, Bill. I actually like Bernstein's Kiddish symphony. A work that has a lot of flaws sure, but it is a fascinating work. I often compare a work like this to Tippett's last two symphonies, because despite what one would perhaps call 'orchestral clumsiness,' there's an honesty and an ingenuity about it that I find compelling. I love Bernstein's other two symphonies as well.

Just nice to see folks in the business keeping this type of music relevant....at least for the general listener.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 30, 2012, 06:14:38 AM
Just nice to see folks in the business keeping this type of music relevant....at least for the general listener.

Yes, it really is. I'm not fond of Alsop's conducting, but I applaud here efforts to take on repertoire such as the Kiddish. Still, for Bernstein's own music, it's hard to find a better interpreter than Bernstein himself. His early recordings of his own music on Columbia (Sony) are indispensable.

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 30, 2012, 06:40:02 AM
Yes, it really is. I'm not fond of Alsop's conducting, but I applaud here efforts to take on repertoire such as the Kiddish. Still, for Bernstein's own music, it's hard to find a better interpreter than Bernstein himself. His early recordings of his own music on Columbia (Sony) are indispensable.

It is rare that I do not enjoy a piece that has gone through the Lenny filter.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2012, 08:38:56 PM

I feel skittish* about the Kaddish...

[* Not really - I outright hate it... although I reckon singular elements of merit in the mess.]

snyprrr

Quote from: jlaurson on October 01, 2012, 04:00:28 AM
I feel skittish* about the Kaddish...

[* Not really - I outright hate it... although I reckon singular elements of merit in the mess.]

Did you see the review in The Post today?

Bogey

Quote from: jlaurson on October 01, 2012, 04:00:28 AM

:D

I feel ya.  I draw parallels with this and later Coltrane.  Not something I would spin often, but once and a while it just scratches that itch for me.

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on October 01, 2012, 05:53:04 AM
Did you see the review in The Post today?

I hadn't - now I read it. Actually a very descent review!

Mirror Image

Time to revive ol' Lenny's thread. A very good composer --- not a great one, but I enjoy many of his works. Listening his Age of Anxiety symphony again and it's probably one of his best works as far as his more serious concert music is concerned.

Leo K.

I always enjoy Lenny's work, lately, I've been listening to West Side Story, original cast recording. This work is sublime. i also love his symphonies. He's a major player.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on February 01, 2013, 08:47:53 PM
I always enjoy Lenny's work, lately, I've been listening to West Side Story, original cast recording. This work is sublime. i also love his symphonies. He's a major player.

He's still quite underrated as a composer, but things are getting better for his music I think. Naxos has a series and the Mass has been recorded by Nagano, Alsop, and Kristjan Jarvi. That's quite impressive for a work that induces a gag reflex inside of me when I hear it. ;) :D

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 01, 2013, 08:53:30 PM
He's still quite underrated as a composer, but things are getting better for his music I think. Naxos has a series and the Mass has been recorded by Nagano, Alsop, and Kristjan Jarvi. That's quite impressive for a work that induces a gag reflex inside of me when I hear it. ;) :D

Oh yes, Mass!

I still have a fondness for the music itself, with a nostalgic ear of checking this LP from the library when I was young. And the work's orchestral meditations are as lovely as anything in his "classical" output, BUT I must conclude that anyone staging Mass in 2013 should have paramedics on call, just in case anyone in the audience dies of embarrassment!

Yes, I have to admit it still sticks in my throat to hear Mr. Radical Chic lecturing the audience on hypocrisy in 1971. He gives us a Street Chorus shouting anti-war slogans at a guilt-racked Celebrant, and there are electric guitars producing "rock music" with a Broadway swing that must strike all who listen to Leonard Bernstein's Mass as the most cringe-inducing in the history of sacred music. We're only a couple of minutes into this "Theatre Piece for Singers, Players and Dancers" and already the Roman liturgy is being interrupted by doo-wop burblings from its multiple choirs? Thus I agree Benstein's body of work is, of course, uneven.

But I am fascinated by the fact that "Mass," is a pop-laced deconstruction of Christian ritual in which Bernstein's greatest strengths and flaws collide in a single unstable compound.

Mirror Image

Bernstein's Mass should be retitled to Mess. ;) :D I do agree that there are some redeeming qualities of the work, but not enough to warrant a serious listen from me.

Leo K.

Mess! Yes, I agree! And I too have no desire for a return visit to this work, anytime soon!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on February 02, 2013, 06:45:25 AM
Mess! Yes, I agree! And I too have no desire for a return visit to this work, anytime soon!

Agreed! :)

Bogey

San Antone

While listening to the 10CD original covers box it struck me that Bernstein was known especially as an interpreter of Mahler, but also Haydn, leaving behind wonderful recordings of their works. 

What other conductor is known for being an excellent interpreter regarding the music of arguably very different composers.

Jo498

Fricsay's two favorite composers and maybe the ones of which he recorded the most music were Mozart and Bartok.
Colin Davis apparently had a special liking for both Berlioz and Sibelius
Eugen Jochum was famous for his Bruckner and Bach, but also Mozart, Haydn and Orff.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on April 15, 2015, 09:46:34 AM
While listening to the 10CD original covers box it struck me that Bernstein was known especially as an interpreter of Mahler, but also Haydn, leaving behind wonderful recordings of their works. 

What other conductor is known for being an excellent interpreter regarding the music of arguably very different composers.

Also Shostakovich and there's a fine Vaughan Williams Symphony 4.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).