I just realised

Started by Guido, May 30, 2007, 03:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

I have never played a Beethoven Symphony, nor a Brahms Symphony nor a Shostakovich Symphony nor a Bruckner nor a Mahler symphony (apart fromt the Adagietto of the fifth). This is most purturbing! I suppose they are generally avoided by Youth orchestras... (although I have seen YOs play Shostakovich 5 and 10...) I've played 4 Tchaik symphonies though! (2,4,5,6)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

mahlertitan

Quote from: Guido on May 30, 2007, 03:37:05 PM
I have never played a Beethoven Symphony, nor a Brahms Symphony nor a Shostakovich Symphony nor a Bruckner nor a Mahler symphony (apart fromt the Adagietto of the fifth). This is most purturbing! I suppose they are generally avoided by Youth orchestras... (although I have seen YOs play Shostakovich 5 and 10...) I've played 4 Tchaik symphonies though! (2,4,5,6)

that's not suprising, consider the immense cost and technical  difficulties of those works.

Guido

Yeah... I s'ppose. But I'm still miffed. I might make a list of everything I've played... I've done Dvorak 8 and 9 and Franck and Rach Symph. Dances and Debussy La Mer and tchaik Francesca Di Rimini, in this past year as well as countless concerto accompaniments. Might take a bit more thinking furtur back than that...

La Mer is probably the most difficult piece I have played in an orchestra
Geologist.

mahlertitan

maybe the teacher/conductor does not like these works? the music teacher at my high school did works mostly in the baroque/classical style, she had a strong preference for early music, so the school orchestra seldom performed late romantic works.

Guido

Well I've been conducted by at least 7 conductors in various ensembles. I think its just bad luck and also avoidance of difficult repertoire as you say.
Geologist.

lukeottevanger

Aren't you in CUMS? I never was myself, but you ought to be. Audition next year! My wife was (another cellist) and amongst lots of other big Romantic repertoire she played Mahlers 1 and 5 in her time there, as well as lots of modern stuff. Another highlight of CUMS during my time there - and there were quite a few - was Dan Harding's 'heroic return'; he put on a very intense Rite of Spring. They are - or were - a really fantastic band, as you'd expect, with fine established conductors or conductors-to-be, very committed, talented players and often working direct with the composer.

In my YO days I never played a Mahler symph either, though I did do Shostakovich 5 in Les Invalides (a phenomenal performance, believe it or not), which was one of life's great experiences. And amongst other things we did a few British premieres (Kancheli, Woolrich) under Martyn Brabbins. That was the LSSO (Leicestershire) of Tippett/Pinkett/Brian symphonies fame, though I was in it a couple of decades after those glory days, in which it was once voted best youth orchestra and best amateur orchestra in Europe IIRC

Guido

I didn't manage to audition last year due to a cock-up with audition times and their bad organisation. No to worry. I am in CUSO which is the independent student run one, about as good as CUMS but not as good as CUCO.

CUMS had some great repertoire this year, so its a real shame that I didn't manage to play with them - Shostakovich 10, Strav Symph of Psalms and Alpine Symphonie amongst other good things. CUSO played La Mer, Franck Symphony, Rach Symphonic Dances, with concertos and overtures.

I can't believe that they played the Rite! I've never heard of an amateur ensemble tackling that. I would love to play that - The Firebird was about the most fun I've had playing in an orchestra.
Geologist.

mahlertitan

that sounds very impressive, if i have one word to describe my highschool orchestra, it is "pathetic".

karlhenning

Quote from: Guido on May 31, 2007, 04:59:38 AM
- The Firebird was about the most fun I've had playing in an orchestra.

Yes, somehow that score is even more magical when you're there in the midst of the ensemble.  We played that my freshman year, I think, at Wooster.

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 31, 2007, 05:28:54 AM
that sounds very impressive, if i have one word to describe my highschool orchestra, it is "pathetic".

ditto.  :)

toledobass

After a couple of music schools and some years as a professional,  it wasn't until last season that I played Beethoven's 5th for my first time.  Everyone thought I was joking when I mentioned this at the first rehearsal.

Allan

Bonehelm

I played Beethoven's 5th with my high-school orchestra at grade 8 (13 years old)...It didn't go very well but I was suprised how little we screwed up.

Larry Rinkel

The New York Youth Symphony just did Mahler 9 here, and very well. Some of the best recordings I have heard of Mahler 5, 9, and 10 (the first, completed movement) were done by German youth orchestras.