Author Topic: Davis/Chang: Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto  (Read 2091 times)

Steve

Davis/Chang: Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »
Any thoughts on this recording?

I have a couple of recordings of this piece including the Perlman, Krelisler Live, and Bell.

Offline Rabin_Fan

Re: Davis/Chang: Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
Fairly nice sound but Chang is very young when she did this - possibly with a small sized violin. For a fantastic Tchaikovsky VC, buy the Leonid Kogan version with Silvestri on EMI Encore - a fantastic "Russian" version. Excellent sound for the late 1950s. EMI should bring this out on the GROC series. You'll not regret it - and after this purchase, you may consign your other versions to the bin. Try it Steve!

Steve

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »
Fairly nice sound but Chang is very young when she did this - possibly with a small sized violin. For a fantastic Tchaikovsky VC, buy the Leonid Kogan version with Silvestri on EMI Encore - a fantastic "Russian" version. Excellent sound for the late 1950s. EMI should bring this out on the GROC series. You'll not regret it - and after this purchase, you may consign your other versions to the bin. Try it Steve!

With that sort of praise, I'm going to have to give it a try. Is it readily available at Amazon? Thanks for the advice.

SimonGodders

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »
With that sort of praise, I'm going to have to give it a try. Is it readily available at Amazon? Thanks for the advice.

Yes, and paired with an equally excellent Cziffra PC1. A fantastic bargain:

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Piano-Concerto-No-Violin/dp/B00005NPJX/ref=sr_1_2/104-5908801-4745533?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180650091&sr=1-2

Offline Rabin_Fan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:50:47 PM »
I gave that sort of praise to a fella in HMV Singapore and e-mail me back in Malaysia to thank me. Price-wise it is a steal. Also, musically you feel that is the way Tch VC is "supposed" to be. Sound on Cziffra is poorer than the Kogan. Buy it for just the Kogan Tch VC. (Steve - I will message you)  R-F

Offline Rabin_Fan

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »
You do not show your e-mail here, Steve.

Anyway, check out this link:-
http://www.musicandcdreview.com/Kogan-Tchaikovsky.htm

Regards - R-F (I wrote the review!)

Steve