Must have symphonic cycles of late 19th/20th century...

Started by rw1883, May 30, 2007, 07:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: 12tone. on May 30, 2007, 08:43:04 PM
That chandos box of Rubbra symphonies looked interesting.  Anyone know much about Rubbra?  How would you explain him?

I have 2, 7, 3, and 4 from the Lyrita label, not the Chandos. About as interesting as watching paint dry. Save your money for more interesting stuff.

David Diamond was mentioned. A very underrated composer. His symphonies sometimes sound a bit like the Copland of Appalachian Spring but have a bit more bite. I think almost all of them originally on the Delos label (with Gerald Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony) have been picked up by Naxos.

The ones I really DON'T like are Coates and Raatavaava.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 31, 2007, 06:03:35 AM

PW, have you heard the Rautavaara Third? If Bruckner had lived until the middle of the 20th century, he might have sounded like this. I can't imagine you not enjoying it. Give it a try. Good recording on Naxos.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Robert

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 31, 2007, 06:03:35 AM
I have 2, 7, 3, and 4 from the Lyrita label, not the Chandos. About as interesting as watching paint dry. Save your money for more interesting stuff.

David Diamond was mentioned. A very underrated composer. His symphonies sometimes sound a bit like the Copland of Appalachian Spring but have a bit more bite. I think almost all of them originally on the Delos label (with Gerald Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony) have been picked up by Naxos.

Hey don't knock my favorite hobby WATCHING PAINT DRY, and while I am watching I always listen to Rubbra's FOURTH  and NINTH....

karlhenning

Quote from: Robert on May 31, 2007, 06:39:47 AM
Hey don't knock my favorite hobby WATCHING PAINT DRY

Well, when you're ready for a change, you can join Andy Goldsworthy in watching clay dry:

Robert

Quote from: karlhenning on May 31, 2007, 06:46:34 AM
Well, when you're ready for a change, you can join Andy Goldsworthy in watching clay dry:

Sorry Karl, Rubbra and clay do not work well together. ..

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 31, 2007, 06:33:06 AM
PW, have you heard the Rautavaara Third? If Bruckner had lived until the middle of the 20th century, he might have sounded like this. I can't imagine you not enjoying it. Give it a try. Good recording on Naxos.

Sarge

I have these:

It just seems to me that R. was fixed with creating sound effects instead of music.

Steve

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 31, 2007, 06:33:06 AM

Sarge

The resemblence to late Bruckner is striking, I'm just listening to the Third now. Impressive piece.  :)

techniquest

Although there are some great names and indeed some excellent music to be had from them, they are not necessarily available as 'cycles' as pertained to in the header, though I wish they were!
I have all of the Terterian symphonies except no.5, which are available as mp3 downloads from the Terterian website and amount to almost a cycle...
http://www.terterian.org/
I must agree with XM regarding Weinberg/Vainberg - I have heard symphonies 6,12 & 17 and they are astonishing pieces very much in a Shostakovich vein. Try also the symphonies of Chinese composer Wang Xi-Lin if you can find them anywhere, or - to be more mainstream - the Tjeknavorian/Armenian PO Khachaturian cycle (though, to be fair, the recordings of no.s 2 and 3 are not all that special).

rw1883

Thank you all for the responses and the many suggestions!  I think I'll start with the Harris, Piston, and Creston symphonies and go from there.

Paul

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 31, 2007, 07:08:35 AM
I have these:

It just seems to me that R. was fixed with creating sound effects instead of music.

The Third is utterly different. Give it a try. I can almost guarantee you'll love it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Steve

Quote from: rw1883 on May 31, 2007, 12:06:26 PM
Thank you all for the responses and the many suggestions!  I think I'll start with the Harris, Piston, and Creston symphonies and go from there.

Paul

All good choices, mate.  :)

beclemund

While his choral works are probably more widely recorded, it would be a shame not to mention the symphonies of Arvo Pärt.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 31, 2007, 12:20:30 PM
The Third is utterly different. Give it a try. I can almost guarantee you'll love it.

Sarge

Okay, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap price on the recording.

Maciek

I'll third the Norgard and Ustvolskaya.

But what I find astounding is that no one so far has mentioned Karol Szymanowski?! $:)

Maciek

not edward

Quote from: MrOsa on June 01, 2007, 03:44:09 AM
I'll third the Norgard and Ustvolskaya.

But what I find astounding is that no one so far has mentioned Karol Szymanowski?! $:)

Maciek
A grievious omission, to be sure.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Hector

Quote from: karlhenning on May 31, 2007, 06:46:34 AM

I quite like that.

Did anyone mention Havergo Brian?

Havergall at his vast symphonic output.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Hector on June 01, 2007, 06:44:38 AM
I quite like that.

Did anyone mention Havergo Brian?

Havergall at his vast symphonic output.

Maybe we should change the subject of this thread to: Any Symphonic Cycles of the late 19th/20th century that you can think of