Author Topic: Viva Vivaldi!  (Read 158242 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Viva Vivaldi!
« Reply #760 on: August 02, 2020, 06:13:30 AM »
I have a few sacred vocal works by Vivaldi in my collection, and I always love coming back to them, especially the Stabat Mater. I have also heard Nisi Dominus RV608 and a short piece called Crucifixus etiam pro nobis RV592.

I'm curious now; where to next with Vivaldi's sacred music? I'd love to hear more! Recommendations for works and recordings alike would be appreciated...  :)

Indeed, Vivaldi's sacred music is his best kept secret.

or

Better yet, both.
"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

"Believe nothing you hear, and only one-half that you see." - Edgar Allan Poe

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #761 on: August 02, 2020, 06:29:25 AM »
Indeed, Vivaldi's sacred music is his best kept secret.

or

Better yet, both.

Ah, quite tempting offerings, both. One or both of those just might be in my future, but I'll have to look out for an affordable box.

I just bought the "Musica sacra per alto" as a Qobuz download, from the Naïve Vivaldi series. What an excellent series of recordings! Too bad the CDs are all so expensive, but I may have to buy a few more while they're on sale at Qobuz.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #762 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:47 AM »
I have a few sacred vocal works by Vivaldi in my collection, and I always love coming back to them, especially the Stabat Mater. I have also heard Nisi Dominus RV608 and a short piece called Crucifixus etiam pro nobis RV592.

I'm curious now; where to next with Vivaldi's sacred music? I'd love to hear more! Recommendations for works and recordings alike would be appreciated...  :)

I am sure that you will find much of interest in the following thread....

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,880.0.html
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #763 on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:49 AM »
I am sure that you will find much of interest in the following thread....

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,880.0.html

Thanks! I had not seen this thread.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #765 on: August 03, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »

I tend to think Vivaldi's sacred music is amongst his best work.

I have the Hyperion box set. However, I've been listening to things from the Naive series and I think a couple of sacred albums from there are amongst the best things I've heard in that series. They're fairly old now so I'm not sure how easy they are to get physically. But I think both of these (with the same group and conductor) were excellent.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!