Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 01, 2016, 01:37:05 PM
No disrespect intended...I like lots of the early work; it's just got to wait until I've listened to the mid and late pieces that have hooked me in. The Pause Dal Silenzios are playing as I write (N.2 is great)...not that they're so early, but they are pre-1930. GFMs artistic periods gently reflect the the 20th C. development of the language. He is the first Italian composer I've listened to in a long while and I appreciate the emphasis on lyricism.

Check out Chris lee's "Castle of the Living Dead" for the kind of b+w mid-60s Italian Gothic Horror that fits in perfectly with the craggy GFM way.

I'm glad for your enjoyment. Yes, you must still get the PCs and the SQs (remember, the Dynamic version only- did you just say you're waiting? good)

Blustery spring is perfect GFM weather round here!!

ALSO, PEOPLE, PLEASE DO LOOK INTO SYMPHONY 6 ON DENON FOR THE SCRUMPTUOUS(?) SOUND!!

SymphonicAddict

About his symphonies (the symphony is my favorite classical form)

This is a pretty good composer. You can perceive the evolution of your imagination for composing. The first symphonies are certainly impressionistic and warm (Sinfonia degli Eroi, Sinfonia del Silenzio e de la Morte, Sinfonia del Mare, Symphony No. 1). The following are a bit more avant-garde but not very dissonant (Symphony No. 2 to Symphony No. 7 including Sinfonia in un tempo and Sinfonia dello Zodiaco). The latter are rougher, they have complex harmony, many dissonances and more seriousness (Symphony No. 8 to Symphony No. 11 including the Sinfonia per Antigenida).

He made a very good impression on me.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 01, 2017, 07:15:56 PM
About his symphonies (the symphony is my favorite classical form)

This is a pretty good composer. You can perceive the evolution of your imagination for composing. The first symphonies are certainly impressionistic and warm (Sinfonia degli Eroi, Sinfonia del Silenzio e de la Morte, Sinfonia del Mare, Symphony No. 1). The following are a bit more avant-garde but not very dissonant (Symphony No. 2 to Symphony No. 7 including Sinfonia in un tempo and Sinfonia dello Zodiaco). The latter are rougher, they have complex harmony, many dissonances and more seriousness (Symphony No. 8 to Symphony No. 11 including the Sinfonia per Antigenida).

He made a very good impression on me.
Interesting overview. I like symphonies 3,4 and 7 most + the string quartets.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

Quote from: vandermolen on March 01, 2017, 09:32:51 PM

Agreed. I like 1, 3, 6, 7, and 10 the most. The Quartets are uniquely his own and 3-7 are my favourites, though they're all good. I feel the need to acquire some of his vocal works as his melodic flair is  powerful. Any recs?

snyprrr

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 03, 2017, 06:35:21 AM
Agreed. I like 1, 3, 6, 7, and 10 the most. The Quartets are uniquely his own and 3-7 are my favourites, though they're all good. I feel the need to acquire some of his vocal works as his melodic flair is  powerful. Any recs?

Oh come on guys, and love the ugly Symphonies 8-11. They just keep getting craggier and craggier,... I mean, you love Havergal... Malipiero's Late Symphonies are a world unto themselves of bluffs and cliffs and caves and knotty trees...

A shout out to the Piano Concertos- you will love them MORE!! ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 03, 2017, 02:22:42 PM
Oh come on guys, and love the ugly Symphonies 8-11. They just keep getting craggier and craggier,... I mean, you love Havergal... Malipiero's Late Symphonies are a world unto themselves of bluffs and cliffs and caves and knotty trees...

I'm Karl Henning, and I approve this message.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SymphonicAddict

Oh, yes! They're pretty nice. I like more Sinfonia del Mare, Sinfonia del Silenzio e de la Morte, 1, and 3 to 7, but without demeaning the other ones.

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 03, 2017, 03:02:05 PM
I'm Karl Henning, and I approve this message.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time to dip into the Piano Concerto Cycle on CPO, Karl.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rons_talking

I'm in agreement on the later symphonies. I used to listen to the more tonal-sounding works of 1930-45 and overlooked the later music, but that was more a tribute to the quality of those earlier works. But the less tonal works post 1950 are full of great musical adventures. I have more listening to do!

Parsifal

I don't know of any recordings aside from the Naxos series, which I find extremely lack-luster with respect to performance and audio quality. I'm waiting for an alternative.

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on June 22, 2017, 08:51:37 AM
I don't know of any recordings aside from the Naxos series, which I find extremely lack-luster with respect to performance and audio quality. I'm waiting for an alternative.

mmm... only CPO might venture that, MDG,... but, y'know,... you KNOW that's probably not gonna happen on THIS planet in the foreseeable... but, yea, hearing all that craggy goodness in a crisp rendition would be sweet...

BUT, I thought half the charm of those MarcoPolo/Naxos Symphonies was their "Eastern European" quality? lol- I mean,- uhh...

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 20, 2017, 05:15:27 AM
Good!

Finished going through the PCs. The whole Cycle may be my fav PCs of the 20th Century, followed by the Concertinos of Honegger and Francaix, with the Helffer disc of Milhaud PCs rounding out. And then Stravinsky.

But the Malipiero set have an illumination to them... I have raved on and on... ahhhhhh... tonic!!

Karl Henning

They're good concerti!  They deserve performances!  ("Yes, any performance would be more....")
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 26, 2017, 06:36:18 AM
They're good concerti!  They deserve performances!  ("Yes, any performance would be more....")

Well, they don't have BigTunes for the BlueHairs. I'm still in awe over that CPO Cycle, though. How about that early 'Variations w/o A Theme'?

I'd like to hear those newer Naxos discs...

Mirror Image

Time to bring this thread out of from the dustbins...

One wishes these symphonies from Malipiero would get some modern performances and an enterprising label like CPO would record them. I suppose we're stuck with Antonio de Almeida. ;) But this isn't to say his performances are in any way 'terrible' of course, he must be commended for even recording them and having such a strong passion for this composer (amongst other out-of-the-way 20th Century repertoire). I do feel that the performances are completely serviceable even if they never should be considered the last word on the music, but with the way things are going, it sure does feel like they are! The piano concerto set on CPO is fantastic and I'm going to be revisiting some of those works today. I'd like to get around to his SQs, too. Any one have any thoughts on those works?

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 09, 2017, 08:30:42 AM
Time to bring this thread out of from the dustbins...

One wishes these symphonies from Malipiero would get some modern performances and an enterprising label like CPO would record them. I suppose we're stuck with Antonio de Almeida. ;) But this isn't to say his performances are in anyway 'terrible' of course, he must be commended for even recording them and having such a strong passion for this composer (amongst other out-of-the-way 20th Century repertoire). I do feel, however, that the performances are completely serviceable even if they never should be considered the last word on the music, but with the way things are going, it sure does feel like they are! The piano concerto set on CPO is fantastic and I'm going to be revisiting some of those works today. I'd like to get around to his SQs, too. Any one have any thoughts on those works?

Great to hear that the Naxos recordings of the symphonies aren't as "terrible" as some have said they are :) Part of the reason I've delayed exploring the symphonies is because of the negative criticisms the performances have received, but I'll be sure to put any pre-conceived notions behind me and just listen.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 09, 2017, 09:11:16 AMGreat to hear that the Naxos recordings of the symphonies aren't as "terrible" as some have said they are :) Part of the reason I've delayed exploring the symphonies is because of the negative criticisms the performances have received, but I'll be sure to put any pre-conceived notions behind me and just listen.

Well, they're not great performances, Kyle, but 'serviceable'. That's it. I can hear some other conductor doing so many great things with them. Imagine if Riccardo Muti had recorded them? Holy cow! Alun Francis, a very capable conductor and has turned in one great performance after another for the CPO label, would be an ideal conductor for this job. Hire the Cologne RSO and get to recording, Maestro Francis!

Rons_talking

I've just finished listening to Malipiero's first quartet and am amazed at the degree of invention. As you might know, Malipiero was fervent in is anti-development stance (he considered development germanic) and composed in "panels", some related motivically, others not.  SQ 1 has over 20 unique ideas which seem to work the same way great ballets work. SQs can get boring at times due to lack of sonic variety (though some composers try every technique in the book to circumvent the limitation) but this one keeps my interest and is tonal to boot.https://open.spotify.com/track/5JfqtAr5VC7T48Gp4R6aDF?si=SL2P_za4SEisrwC2TiWrkg

Symphonic Addict

Good to see more love for his SQs. Malipiero's string quartets are certainly rather original in their respective forms. The Orpheus SQ recordings on ASV are sonically better recorded than those by the Quartetto d'Archi di Venezia on Dynamic.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky