Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Many thanks, snyprrr, for the heads up about the Nuovo Era cd of the Cello Concerto and Grottesca :)

I have just managed to find a copy on Amazon for around £15(other dealers were asking £72!) and have duly ordered it ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: snyprrr on April 22, 2009, 01:14:25 PM
Woefully underfunded thread...

A) WARNING: Get the SQs 1-8 on Dynamic, not Brilliant. If you really like these SQs, the bright, tight Dynamic recording makes these SQs really really more Italian...trust me 0:)...and the Venice based quartet really has these things locked down. Very improvisatory.........

Snyprrr - at the moment, I have no Malipiero recordings in my collection, but had put in an order to MDT a week or so ago for the Complete String Quartets on the Brilliant label; unfortunately (or fortunately after reading your comments above?), the 2-CD set is OUT OF STOCK!

Thus, I could easily cancel the order, and consider the one suggested by you on the Dynamic label (assume the pic, left shown below); however, the 'used' asking price on the Amazon Marketplace is $50+ - just too steep, unless 'someone' knows of a less expensive option?  Now ClassicsOnline is offering the set as an MP3 download for $20, but no liner notes -  :-\

Your review is indeed encouraging, but I'm wondering if you have listened to the Brilliant set as a comparison?  If not, I would be curious if anyone else may have had the opportunity to compare both sets?

Now, the set (below, middle) w/ the Orpheus SQ, released in 1991 that received a superlative review on Music on the Web; assume the same recordings that were used on the Brilliant release, so what to do?  Thanks all -  :)

nut-job

Quote from: SonicMan on April 24, 2009, 08:01:46 AM
Snyprrr - at the moment, I have no Malipiero recordings in my collection, but had put in an order to MDT a week or so ago for the Complete String Quartets on the Brilliant label; unfortunately (or fortunately after reading your comments above?), the 2-CD set is OUT OF STOCK!

Thus, I could easily cancel the order, and consider the one suggested by you on the Dynamic label (assume the pic, left shown below); however, the 'used' asking price on the Amazon Marketplace is $50+ - just too steep, unless 'someone' knows of a less expensive option?  Now ClassicsOnline is offering the set as an MP3 download for $20, but no liner notes -  :-\

Your review is indeed encouraging, but I'm wondering if you have listened to the Brilliant set as a comparison?  If not, I would be curious if anyone else may have had the opportunity to compare both sets?

Now, the set (below, right) w/ the Orpheus SQ, released in 1991 that received a superlative review on Music on the Web; assume the same recordings that were used on the Brilliant release, so what to do?  Thanks all -  :)

The Brilliant Classics set is a clone of the Orpheus set on ASV, available for nine bucks on Amazon marketplace.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-String-Quartet-Malipiero/dp/B000WC386Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240589641&sr=1-3

You can also consider the Piano Concerti.

2 hyprid SACDs, street price $18.  I found the first one very charming, the last one dismal, and the ones in between a linear extrapolation between the two.  I'm not sure if the music declined in quality of if I just got tired of it.  I should listen in reverse order next time.

SonicMan46

Quote from: nut-job on April 24, 2009, 08:18:01 AM
The Brilliant Classics set is a clone of the Orpheus set on ASV, available for nine bucks on Amazon marketplace.

LOL -  ;D  Just realized that and altered my previous post for that reason; thanks - now even a more interesting comparison for me!  Dave  :)

nut-job

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 24, 2009, 08:22:03 AM
Typo of the Month!

As far as I know hyprid is not a word and has no widely known slang meaning, so it seems like a boring typo to me.   I even Googled it to see if anything horribly indecent came up, and nothing.  ???

karlhenning

Quote from: nut-job on April 24, 2009, 10:02:46 AM
As far as I know hyprid is not a word and has no widely known slang meaning, so it seems like a boring typo to me.   I even Googled it to see if anything horribly indecent came up, and nothing.  ???

Well, you mistake me if you think I should have exulted in a typo for any indecent suggestion!

How I read it (not that you intended it so) is:

hype + hybrid = hyprid

nut-job

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 24, 2009, 10:37:06 AM
Well, you mistake me if you think I should have exulted in a typo for any indecent suggestion!

How I read it (not that you intended it so) is:

hype + hybrid = hyprid

Well, I expect to see this thread cited in the OED as first usage of the term.
8)

snyprrr

I haven't heard the Orpheus, but I had just read an Amazon review by someone who had both, and they were the ones who noticed that the particular acoustics of the Dynamic set really brought a certain bright quality to the music...a quality which I truly hear in my Dynamic set...kind of like recording in a white marble room on a sunny Italian day.  Even if the Orpheus recording is "good", I do believe you will be getting something extra special with the Dynamic. I do not know of any SQ recording that has such a particular acoustic, so perfect for Malipiero's joyous, bubbly, bouncy music.

As far as performance goes, I've got to believe that the Venice quartet bring something more Italian to the table. I admit I make a few assumptions, but however, that Amazon reviewer who has both sets seems to be as bowled as I am.

I am hoping someone can second my enthusiasm. Here, here!

SonicMan46

Quote from: snyprrr on April 24, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
I haven't heard the Orpheus, but I had just read an Amazon review by someone who had both, and they were the ones who noticed that the particular acoustics of the Dynamic set really brought a certain bright quality to the music...a quality which I truly hear in my Dynamic set...kind of like recording in a white marble room on a sunny Italian day..............

Snyprrr - thanks for the additional comments; doubt the MDT will come through w/ that OUT OF STOCK order any time soon, so can wait - when I get some time on one of my other than laptop computers, will listen to some 'snippets' from the available sites (never convinced that this is the best way to compare - the quality is just often not there); but I hope others may provide some more aural observations - Dave  :D

nut-job

Quote from: snyprrr on April 24, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
I haven't heard the Orpheus, but I had just read an Amazon review by someone who had both, and they were the ones who noticed that the particular acoustics of the Dynamic set really brought a certain bright quality to the music...a quality which I truly hear in my Dynamic set...kind of like recording in a white marble room on a sunny Italian day.  Even if the Orpheus recording is "good", I do believe you will be getting something extra special with the Dynamic. I do not know of any SQ recording that has such a particular acoustic, so perfect for Malipiero's joyous, bubbly, bouncy music.

As far as performance goes, I've got to believe that the Venice quartet bring something more Italian to the table. I admit I make a few assumptions, but however, that Amazon reviewer who has both sets seems to be as bowled as I am.

I am hoping someone can second my enthusiasm. Here, here!

Not interested.  The set is listed as discontinued on Amazon, doesn't seem to be listed on UK sites, I'm not going to pay $150 for a CD out of curiosity about a second rate composer.  With the Italian musicians comes the Italian administrative incompetence of an Italian record label.  I've been trying to get a DVD from Dynamic, a new release which has been on backorder for a month at least.   In this economy, the half-wits can't even ship a new release to customers waiting in the US, what hope do we have?

Dundonnell

Quote from: nut-job on April 24, 2009, 08:18:01 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-String-Quartet-Malipiero/dp/B000WC386Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240589641&sr=1-3

You can also consider the Piano Concerti.

2 hyprid SACDs, street price $18.  I found the first one very charming, the last one dismal, and the ones in between a linear extrapolation between the two.  I'm not sure if the music declined in quality of if I just got tired of it.  I should listen in reverse order next time.

I made the mistake of listening to the Malipiero Piano Concertos one after the other. Not recommended!

nut-job

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 24, 2009, 02:41:46 PM
I made the mistake of listening to the Malipiero Piano Concertos one after the other. Not recommended!

Yes, it's deja vu all over again!.

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on April 24, 2009, 02:41:46 PM

Yes, I should mix things up.

Listen to a little Henning in between, perhaps  8)

Dundonnell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 24, 2009, 04:58:25 PM
Yes, I should mix things up.

Listen to a little Henning in between, perhaps  8)

Probably a better idea than interspersing the Malipiero concertos with those by Darius Milhaud ;D

Mirror Image

BUMP!!! :D

I bought all the Naxos re-relases so far. I'm looking to exploring this composer in depth. A general question for everybody, what are your favorite works by Malipiero?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2010, 06:39:17 PM

I bought all the Naxos re-relases so far. I'm looking to exploring this composer in depth. A general question for everybody, what are your favorite works by Malipiero?

Symphony 3 and 4 (Naxos), Symphony 7 (Marco Polo) SQ No 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2010, 06:39:17 PM

If you get the SQs, be sure to get the one on Dynamic.

Sym No.7 would be my fav there. And, I like the Symphony di Antigonia (?), on the same cd. I generally liked 3 & 4, but thought they were both let down by a rather bombastic Finale. No.7 was the smoothest I had heard.

I have a chamber disc on Ricordi, including a great Piano Trio, flute/harp/string trio Quintet, ww quintet, and SQ 8.

I haven't yet heard the 2cd "Endecatode"?? on Stradivarius, but that seems to fill out the chamber arena.

I have an interesting cd on Nuevo Era, including a Grottesco for orch, a Cello Concerto, and so forth.

Piano wise, I think he's got a lot of stuff, but I haven't heard it.

Start with the SQs,... on Dynamic, of course!

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on November 24, 2010, 08:37:58 AM
If you get the SQs, be sure to get the one on Dynamic.

Sym No.7 would be my fav there. And, I like the Symphony di Antigonia (?), on the same cd. I generally liked 3 & 4, but thought they were both let down by a rather bombastic Finale. No.7 was the smoothest I had heard.

I have a chamber disc on Ricordi, including a great Piano Trio, flute/harp/string trio Quintet, ww quintet, and SQ 8.

I haven't yet heard the 2cd "Endecatode"?? on Stradivarius, but that seems to fill out the chamber arena.

I have an interesting cd on Nuevo Era, including a Grottesco for orch, a Cello Concerto, and so forth.

Piano wise, I think he's got a lot of stuff, but I haven't heard it.

Start with the SQs,... on Dynamic, of course!

Seeing as I'm into orchestral music, I probably won't be looking into the chamber music at all. I seldom listen to this genre, but I do have a few favorite chamber pieces, I just prefer a larger sound pallette for classical music. My own personal limitation/preference whatever you want to call it.

This said, the last Naxos re-release of the symphony series will be released next month.

snyprrr

There are about three discs of GCM's Piano Music. Is anyone familiar? There are some macabre titles, very tempting. There's also a whole disc of Violin&Piano, and a Complete Cello Music plus Piano Muisc cd.

I have the Piano Trio, so, any further exploration would probably MAKE me have to buy all the cds just mentioned, which, I am NOT allowed to do. ;)

Also, that 'Endecatode' cd from Stradivarius looks kinda interesting.