Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on June 28, 2013, 01:13:11 PM
My knowledge of Malipiero comes from

[asin]B000VQQJO4[/asin]

I started out enjoying it greatly, but every successive concerto seemed to be identical to the one that came before.  I ended up being quite turned off.

Can I expect a different experience from the symphonies?

I think Symphony No.7 is the best 'normal' work, nothing grumpy or craggy (No.3 or 4, is an 'elegiac' work, also). It was the last before a break , that resumed with No.8.

Sure, Malipiero 'sounds' a lot the same, buuut, the early- and late- phases are very different. If you liked the earlier Piano Concerti, then maybe go for that Naxos disc with 'Silenzio'. I looove his craggy 'Late' style, so, if they all sound the same, so much better for me.

You might like the String Quartets,... maybe one either takes to GFM or not. I can listen to it all,... his manner of moving from theme to theme sounds absolutely natural to me, the opposite of Myaskovsky, who is forever developing and developing.

Quote from: karlhenning on June 28, 2013, 12:13:50 PM
Nos. 5, 6, 8 & 11, per here.

WHADDAYA THINK OF 8 (ack!!), but especially 11? 11 is short and craGGY... is this like Havergal??? They're all on YT now...

Parsifal

Quote from: snyprrr on June 29, 2013, 07:56:55 AM
I think Symphony No.7 is the best 'normal' work, nothing grumpy or craggy (No.3 or 4, is an 'elegiac' work, also). It was the last before a break , that resumed with No.8.

Sure, Malipiero 'sounds' a lot the same, buuut, the early- and late- phases are very different. If you liked the earlier Piano Concerti, then maybe go for that Naxos disc with 'Silenzio'. I looove his craggy 'Late' style, so, if they all sound the same, so much better for me.

You might like the String Quartets,... maybe one either takes to GFM or not. I can listen to it all,... his manner of moving from theme to theme sounds absolutely natural to me, the opposite of Myaskovsky, who is forever developing and developing.

I have one of the discs from the Naxos series of symphonies (don't recall which one, off hand) and I should listen soon.  I think my problem may have been too much Malipiero in too short a time, which caused enthusiasm to flag.

Karl Henning

Well, I am partly in error. I do have one other Malipiero disc, but it is orchestral works no sinfonie.  This 'un:

[asin]B00005A7KE[/asin]

. . . a disc which I shall happily revisit, remembering that I liked it very well.

I suspect that I fetched in the disc of Symphonies nos. 5, 6, 8 & 11 specifically to get my feet wet with a broad sampling, pieces written from 1947 to 1969.  I find each of the symphonies has its own profile, and they all strike me as both capably written, and musically engaging.  My quick take-aways are: (a) I certainly want more of the symphonies-plus, and (b) I probably won't trouble to get all the symphonies, not just yet . . . possibly taking too close to heart a moderately negative review of the earliest symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on June 30, 2013, 10:48:12 AM
Well, I am partly in error. I do have one other Malipiero disc, but it is orchestral works no sinfonie.  This 'un:

[asin]B00005A7KE[/asin]

. . . a disc which I shall happily revisit, remembering that I liked it very well.

I suspect that I fetched in the disc of Symphonies nos. 5, 6, 8 & 11 specifically to get my feet wet with a broad sampling, pieces written from 1947 to 1969.  I find each of the symphonies has its own profile, and they all strike me as both capably written, and musically engaging.  My quick take-aways are: (a) I certainly want more of the symphonies-plus, and (b) I probably won't trouble to get all the symphonies, not just yet . . . possibly taking too close to heart a moderately negative review of the earliest symphonies.

Listen close, y'all. Malipiero's Symphonist Achilles Heel in the early Symphonies must be the ever bombastic Finales. That's why I pick No.7, in it alone, GFM restrains himself, and all four movements equal One Whole Fairy Tale.

1 & 2 might be the weakest (GFM was very imaginative in his early phase, then, like all, reverted to a Neo-Classicism aster WWI). 3 & 4 are nice and have moments, but, check, but I think they may both be let down by a little Finale Bombast.

I remembered I have No.6, for Strings, on that great sounding Denon disc (their Italian Soloists series). I'll check that; I think it's got the same string jauntiness of the SQs,... I think 6 might also be the keeper.

But then he took a break, and wrote some of the non-numbered 'Symphonies', and then returned wit 8-11, which I like more and more as just free expressions of spontaneous feeling... Italian... Opera... Singing... wait... they're actually pretty nice and craggy, that's why I'm always asking about Havergal... no, I haven't plunged yet.

btw- that disc of Orchestral Works got 'boring' reviews, which may be understandable, but, I'm sure it's still nice Malipiero. There's also a similar disc on CPO. Malipiero's ALWAYS listenable.

I'm still recommending the 'Endecatode' cd from the Stradivarius label, and also their set of the 'Dialoghi'.

Karl Henning

Most interesting, thanks, snypsss.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on July 01, 2013, 05:16:37 AM
The works that appeal to me the most are the string quartets.

Quartetto d'Archi di Venezia

Again, that disc has a recorded sound like they're playing in a marble sun room. No other recording I can think of has such a nice, 'daylit' recording, so fresh one can almost here birds chirping!

I don't know about the ASV, BUT, I will ONLY recommend the Dynamic,... great cover painting that actually has something to do with Malipiero (masks and all). One should perhaps pick up their BoxSet!!

SQ 1-2: These form a pair. These two, particularly, encapsulate the Malipiero ethos of just playing theme-after-theme with no development. Probably his most well known...

SQ 3: This is quite of a recapitulation of 1-2

SQ 4: eludes me at the moment

SQ 5; THIS is the one I was talking about. Very polite GFM,... Vaughn Williams, Hindemith,...

SQ 6: This one is also 'nice'.

SQ 7-8: I know 8 is pretty thorny, 7 eludes me at the moment.

I'm trying to fend off a Malipiero buying frenzy!!

Parsifal

Consulting the shelves, the other Malipiero release I have is this one:

[asin]B001AE4PJC[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on July 01, 2013, 01:45:21 PM
Consulting the shelves, the other Malipiero release I have is this one:

[asin]B001AE4PJC[/asin]

I think you may find both Symphonies let down by a slightly bombastic Finale. I's like a to know what you think about the 'Sinfonia del Mare', an early work that should have reams of atmosphere?!?

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on July 01, 2013, 02:57:34 AM
Most interesting, thanks, snypsss.

I listened to No.6 (for Strings) on the Denon recording. Wow!, what a sunny work (deliciously recorded). The slow bits are very nice indeed, nothing wrong with this one. Just So Sunny!! Great driving music yesterday.

I now really want to try the Piano Concerti Set. There is also a Late Flute Concerto on Stradivarius I'd like to hear.

Karl Henning

Yes, Degli archi is lovely.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on July 02, 2013, 08:44:41 AM

I don't know her work. What films was she in?

Parsifal

Listened to this release

[asin]B002AT46BI[/asin]

I liked it more than I expected to.  The symphony No 6 (for strings) was the highlight of the release.  Only the symphony No 8 struck me as a dreadful bore.  The style of the other two (5 and 11) was generally appealing, typified by free counterpoint with colorful orchestration, and the use of piano as a concertante instrument was appealing in 5.

The performances were rather good, I thought, but the recorded sound was not ideal.  I notice that the recordings were made in the studios of Mosfilm and the audio had sound of a movie soundtrack, pleasing but as though there were a veil between the performers and the audience.  It would be wonderful if other recordings of this music were available.  The 11th symphony, in particular, had interesting use of the horns which I would like to have heard in a move vivid recording.

The question now, where to go next.  More symphonies, or on to the string quartets.  (I have the ASV/Brilliant Classics set on the shelves).

Karl Henning

Glad you found the music worthwhile, Scarps!

Yes, if only we could get these works in better recordings . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2013, 09:02:41 AM
Listened to this release

[asin]B002AT46BI[/asin]

I liked it more than I expected to.  The symphony No 6 (for strings) was the highlight of the release.  Only the symphony No 8 struck me as a dreadful bore.  The style of the other two (5 and 11) was generally appealing, typified by free counterpoint with colorful orchestration, and the use of piano as a concertante instrument was appealing in 5.

The performances were rather good, I thought, but the recorded sound was not ideal.  I notice that the recordings were made in the studios of Mosfilm and the audio had sound of a movie soundtrack, pleasing but as though there were a veil between the performers and the audience.  It would be wonderful if other recordings of this music were available.  The 11th symphony, in particular, had interesting use of the horns which I would like to have heard in a move vivid recording.

The question now, where to go next.  More symphonies, or on to the string quartets.  (I have the ASV/Brilliant Classics set on the shelves).

I think you'd find Symphony 7 the best overall 'pleasing' Symphony, no bombast.

If you liked No.6, you might want to look up the Denon recording, which is of course sweeet.

And again, one MUST appreciate the 'dreadful' scores, because perhaps some day you'll have heavy weather in your area and will be in need of something craggy!! But you liked 11? 8-11 are all pretty 'clunky' (which of I like), but I haven't made deep comparisons.

I also like the Sinfonia della Antigenida, probably quite dreary by your standards (gotta have humid music too y'know!!)

Were you the one with the 'Piano Concerto Set' from earlier? I'd like to try that (and I might recommend it over the Milhaud PC Set, also on CPO (stick with Helffer here)).

I really have to make the usual note the Dynamic recording of the String Quartets is one of the Greatest Chamber Music Discs of All Time, so, go ahead and play your ASV, but I can't vouch for anything there (can't be all bad). But, the Italian group has a recording venue that positively bristles with early sunlight in the atrium. However, start with SQs 1-2, then go to No.5 'Dei Capricci', then maybe 6, 3-4, and keep in mind that 7-8 are going to be a little more like Symphonies 8 & 11.

You might like his Piano Oeuvre. I think the ASV has the same performer as the PC Set. Then there are some other collections Icarus, an old '60s recording, and some obscure 2cd set of his complete piano music which I only saw on Ebay once and never on Amazon). I'm certainly interested in trying some out.

And you'll really want to try the Stradivarius disc 'Endecatode' which has a nice sampling of Chamber Works. There's also the set of 'Dialoghi' on Strad, but this might be for Converts Only (might be a bit prickly). I've also hawked the Chamber Works disc on DischiRecordi (the blue spine) which includes the very worthy Piano Trio (a happy Bridge PT??).

I've been staying away from Composer Threads because I begin to salivate, yearning to BUUUY!!! I bought all the cheap stuff so now everything on The List is expensive. :'(

Did you ever listen to the Sinfonia del Mare?

btw- would you pleeeeeze Capitalize the 'm' in 'Malipiero's mausoleum', aaarrrrgggghhhhh

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2013, 09:02:41 AM
Listened to this release

[asin]B002AT46BI[/asin]

Symphonies 8-11

I enjoyed the "dreadful bore", the 8th, and also the 10th, both of which, were, a little less craggy than 9, and a bit less colourful than 11. But I liked them for that reason. 11 is the most colourful, making me want to hear Brian; and 9 eventually won me over. Malipiero just started using the orchestra in a 'fantasy' way, not unlike Martinu's Late Works, with a concertante piano not far away, tinkling with xylophone the capricious wood nymphs. Indeed, Malipiero seems to take off from Martinu's final resting place?

Now I'm off to try Malipiero's Early Works, those long, Impressionist Symphonies, and the 'Silenzio' pieces. Malipiero was one of those mid-century Composers who had at least three phases, like Hindemith or Bloch or Villa-Lobos, or DSCH, so, it's easy to find SOMETHING one will enjoy.

Again, for the Beginner: get the String Quartets on Dynamic ONLY!

Anyone have love for the CPO Complete Piano Concerti? It's calling!

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 17, 2014, 06:49:42 AM
Anyone have love for the CPO Complete Piano Concerti? It's calling!

On the Wish List.  But you knew that . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

I also checked out his Violin Concertos 1-2/ No.1 is the Gertler cd (with Casella), and though, at first, I found it a bit florid, by the cadenza I was won over by it's charming character. The 2nd is from the '60s, and though I like the Late Symphonies, this one was too scrappy for me; same goes for the Flute Concerto: Petrassi's is the way to go here.

And the 2cd 'Dialoghi'- well, there's a lot of scrappy '60s music on here too. The one for harpsichord was just a bit busy and... mm eh..., but I found the one for viola very nice and dark and mild. The pieces for two pianos were quite clunky- did not like- but the Falla piece is nice. In all, this is probably a set you can skip- the recording, too- 'live'- leaves somewhat to be desired.

Out of the first four Symphonies I found No.2, the 'Elegiac', the nicest- No.4,, 'In Memoriam' (or 'Tragic' or something), wasn't as nice sounding. No. 1 is a 'Four Seasons' which frankly was ok, but nothing special, and No.3 was the livliest of the bunch.

No.5 is a Concertante Symphony that had some interest to it.

Out of the early 'Symphonies'- the 'Silenzo & Morte' one seemed just a bit perky for the title and just wasn't what I was looking for,  but the 'Mare' was nicely Impressionistic.

Also, found the earlier Cello Sonata somewhat aggressive, but the later Sonatina much more to my liking. The Music for Violin is somewhat negligible, and the Piano Music is difficult to find on YT- there's an old '60s recital by Gino Gorini, a disc on ASV (by the guy who plays in the Concerti)m a disc on Nueva Era, and I even think there's a Complete Piano Music out there, but I only saw it on Ebay once and have no info.

Karl Henning

Interesting, thanks.

Now, the quartet recording you strongly advise . . . who play 'em? TIA
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 18, 2014, 06:44:57 AM
Interesting, thanks.

Now, the quartet recording you strongly advise . . . who play 'em? TIA

The 'Venizia' group on Dynamic. Yea, it may be hard to get though- haven't heard the ASV, but the Dynamic is one of the sunniest recordings of anything- reviewers agree!, this is a very special issue.

I don't know if they're available digitally...

snyprrr

Piano Music

GFM wrote quite a body of Piano Music, much of it in a quirky Impressionist style that I have rather odd. Availability rests on a  few releases, namely, Bartoli on ASV, Temerkiev(not right) on Nueva Era, and a 1968 recital by Gino Gorini that has recently been re-released on CD on a new label (it's near the top at Amazon). All three, I believe, share much material (though there is so much more in Malipiero to choose from), and YouTube appears to have the whole Nueva Era CD downloaded, and also some of the Gorini, but, the elusive Bartoli disc is getting expensive and is absent from YT.

From what I hear from Temerkie(?)v and Gorini is music which seems to go from languid and tonally murky Impressionism to quirky, and back again, with regularity. Personally, I like pieces which are either 'a', or 'b', but, here, I just find Malipiero asking too much of me. Perhaps I don't not like Janacek's Piano Music- at least, I didn't respond to his mood changes- and there seems to be a bit of that spirit here. I know I'm been a puss here- maybe it's the recordings- the sound doesn't really absorb the volleys of notes to my satisfaction. Maybe I found the same thing in Dallapiccola's Piano Music too- I'm sorry, I just want to say "clangy" to all three, aaah!! Please don't hate me (find me a Janacek piano cd I like!)!

Maybe Malipiero was "the Roaring 20s" whilst WWI was raging, I don't know, but it does seem somewhat Futurist of Malipiero the way he seems to just do what he pleases and write it down just... like... that. There is a Malipiero piece for Mechanical Piano.

Take a look at the CDs mentioned, and the works. He definitely seems to carry on from Debussy,... again, another Composer whose Piano Music I haven't found to my liking. I have to say that GFM's Piano Music seems to cry out for the Nimbus Treatment (some will instinctively know what I mean here). I just don't respond to Quirky Piano Music- something about the Piano and being "wilful".

So, if anyone has that Bartoli/ASV disc, please, do SHARE: how is it? How do you like the music? Even Malipiero at his craggiest I seem to like a lot, but most of what I've heard of his Piano Music just reminded me of others' music that I also didn't get. I feel sort of bad about it.

On the up side, I do see that Complete Piano Concerti as a completely different beast, where the craggyPpiano writing is off-set by the Orchestra. Anyone on GFM's Piano Music?