Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 19, 2014, 01:36:02 PM
I don't know if they're available digitally...

Yes, part of a big "Italian String Quartets" set, which I got for $17.98, but looks much pricier now . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2014, 01:52:11 AM
Yes, part of a big "Italian String Quartets" set, which I got for $17.98, but looks much pricier now . . . .

So you got the whole Box? There's some interesting stuff there, though, probably none more interesting than the GFM. Respighi No.1 has that hot-house-back-of-the-hand-against-forehead Romance. Do you like the crisp, sunny recording?

Karl Henning

I did the download, so, aye, it's a passel of music I've not made way all through yet.  But I've listened to perhaps half of the Malipiero SQ's, and yes, love the music, and really enjoy the sound!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

I'm revising my GFM Recommends:

Symphonies

Every seems to think that the Symphony for Strings, No.6, is the most wonderful, the one that anyone can enjoy, and it sure is a beautifully sunny work. That said, I have to recommend the Denon recording as the ONLY choice here, since, as we should all know, they tend to have a most superior sound, and here it is no different: the strings sound delicious and truly make this sound masterful!

Then, let me point you to No.7, "delle canzoni". Part of the problem I was having with Syms. 3-4 was the somewhat bombastic finales, and No.7 foregoes this vestigial tendency. No.7 is the "straightest" way of enjoying a GFM Symphony, with all the signposts intact. It's smoother, in a Hindemithian way- not really quirky but just a nice curve- it's "normal" music that holds a few things under the current.

No.5, "concertante in eco", has a nice Piano part to commend it, but Syms. 1-4 show a bit of "gearing up": there's lots of nice, Elgar-type moments, but there's bombast in the finales. I liked No.2, "in memoriam" better than No.4, "elegiac" (though I'd love to hear the Koussevitsky), No/2 being the smoothest and mildest of the whole bunch, imo.

As for 8-11, 8 and 10 and the more brooding ones, 9 is the quirkiest with outbursts and waywardness, and 11, "delle cornamuse", has a nice pseudo-horn part mimicked through. So, I'd get the disc with 5,6,8,& 11 before I'd get 9-10.

The "early" Symphonies I didn't much care for, but 'Sinfonia del Mare' has a nice Impressionism to recommend it. Out of the later, non-numbered Symphonies, I like the 'Sinfonia per Antigenida' which might be one of the craggier and greyer ones (but I like it!). The other stuff is really no great shakes, imo.

So, for the adventurous, I'd go for the 5,6,8,11 disc; for those who want beauty, go for the Denon 6th, and those who fall in between might try the one I have currently, with No.7 and 'Antigenida'. Koussevitsky in the 4th might also be a good choice. You're on your own with the rest, but surely the one with 1-2 will be the last on the list. Enjoy!

Concerti

Cello Concerto: a nice little scrappy piece from the early '30s, played by S. Palm on Nueva Era. A great little GFM CD all around.

Violin Concerto No.1: this is the Gertler (with Casella on Supraphon), and it's one of GFM's super-sunny, marvellous works, like the SQ No.1. It's fruity and sweet, and may actually be a better purchase than the Symphonies. Here we get a perfect dose of GFM along the lines of the String Symphony.

Violin Concerto No.2: this a later work (on Stradivarius) which I didn't respond to (thankfully for the pocketbook). This is the type of GFM I didn't go for.

Flute Concerto: same with this (on the same disc). If you're looking for an FC, go no further than the Petrassi, or even Ghedini. Both of those over this one.

Piano Concerti 1-6: this of course has come to us by way of a wonderful CPO release, which I am currently saving for. I won't listen first, but I'm sure it's just the ticket for me, even if there is much stylistic similarity between them. Make sure you like GFM first, before you invest: one of our readers did not like the sameness- others might. But I'd say this is at the top of the list for consideration.

"Harpsichord Quasi-Concerto": this is in the 'Dialoghi' set, and I found it much less desirable than othe HCs by similar Composers (I'd have to go with Gerhard here). I didn't really even respond to the Frank Martin, hmm.

"Viola Quasi-Concerto": same set, different animal. Perhaps the dark tones of the viola brought out a more thoughful music, but here is a Viola Concerto that's very nice for a modern piece (though the old fashioned rReviewer at Amazon liked Mozart better!). I have Ernest Wallfisch coming in the mail and am looking forward to hearing it.

Misc. Orchestral

I'm not too keen on the disc with the 'Invenzioni"- there's just too much more substantial GFM to be had. But I know this may be most people's introduction to GFM and maybe that's where the misunderstanding began? Save this, and the CPO disc, for the very last if you need. Also, the First Edition Lousiville cd has gotten some pretty bad notices concerning most issues, including quality of music. Stick with the major works here.

Chamber Music

String Quartets: I only recommend the Dynamic recording, truly a one of a kind recording, so beautifully presented. The sound is special here, haven't heard ASV.

'Dialoghi 1-7': honestly, I'd skip the Stradivarius 2cd Complete set. I like the 'de Falla' piece for Chamber Ensemble (Nueva Era), the Woodwind Quintet (Dischi Ricordi), and the 'Viola Quasi-Concerto' (Wallfisch). The pieces for 2 Pianos were just to clangy for me, and I wasn't into the vocal piece(s). Well, perhaps with a better, studio, recording, these pieces would have had a better unveiling?

'Endecatode': this Stradivarius cd, by contrast, might be a great introduction to GFM. The balance between cragginess and beauty is on display here, and the recording is very nice. This is the recording I really recommend in that it has a lot of interesting things on display.

Piano Trio/ Harp Quintet: I have the Dischi Ricordi disc which has a wonderful selection of pieces, including a very original PT. However, it is waaay OOP, and unavailable at the moment, so, give the OTHER Stradivarius disc a try. It has a better recording of the 2 Piano 'Dialoghi'm the PT, and some violin pieces, and also the lovely Cello Sonatina, which I liked much more than the busier Cello Sonata.

Complete Violin Music/ Complete Cello Music: Fabio Biondi plays the GFM Complete Violin Music, which, runs to about 12 minutes!! It's interesting but not earth shattering, but comes on a nice recital (w/ Respighi, Casella,...). The Cello Music is also under 20 minutes, and is supplemented with some Piano Music. I liked the short Cello Sonatina very much, and it is available on both the above Strad discm and also on an all-Italian cello programme by a cellist named Zappa (very expensive though). But, technically, no great shakes here.

Piano Music- see my above post (needs Hamelin, or something...)

So, the Vocal Music is beyond my reach, but, for the newbie, if you follow the layout you should find some GFM that you will enjoy. He runs the gamut, from beautiful and sunny, to craggy and unattractive. Choose carefully with this one, Luke!

Karl Henning

Thanks for the survey!  I need to revisit the symphonies (nor do I think I've heard the early ones which aren't quite doing it for you).  I remember really enjoying the middle and late symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

pjme

Malipiero in religious mood....lovely! And the performance is excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0ANCSwwe6Ps

torut

Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2014, 01:52:11 AM
:o It is still $9.49 at Google play store.

I wanted to say thank you because I found it in your post (probably in "what are you listening to now?" thread) and purchased it. Although I already had Malipiero SQ set, still it was a bargain, containing a lot of interesting works. Boccherini (3CD) was a little bit boring, but Bazzini (3CD) was new finding for me and very good, besides famous composers SQs (Verdi, Puccini, Respighi).

Karl Henning

Very glad you are finding the set worthwhile!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

I'll have to revisit the Malipiero symphonies, but one of my favorite works of his is the Impressioni dal vero, which can be found on a newer Naxos recording with La Vecchia conducting the Rome Symphony Orchestra.

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2014, 11:13:26 AM
I hope this amuses you as much as it does me:

http://www.youtube.com/v/sWuJ235s1l4

Oh, you found my review. I was going to link it for you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 25, 2014, 11:13:26 AM
I hope this amuses you as much as it does me:

http://www.youtube.com/v/sWuJ235s1l4

Dude... it's like... these violins, "quote" are wailing "unquote" and like...

:'( :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'( :laugh:

Is it funny or is it sad, I can't tell?!?!? :o ??? :o ???

I really was going to tell you it was me! :laugh:

Dooooooooooood

Karl Henning

Overall, it did make me smile, but with no scorn.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2014, 06:59:40 AM
I'll have to revisit the Malipiero symphonies, but one of my favorite works of his is the Impressioni dal vero, which can be found on a newer Naxos recording with La Vecchia conducting the Rome Symphony Orchestra.

Yes, everyone's liking that very much. What should I get?:

1) Syms. 5/6/8/11 (MarcoPolo)

2) Violin Cto. (Gertler/Supraphon)

3) Piano Cti. 1-6 (CPO)

Seriously, someone needs to sample the 6th on Denon. If all you've heard is the MP/Naxos you will be ravished!

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2014, 10:11:31 AM
Overall, it did make me smile, but with no scorn.

At least he's trying. I guess... no, it's just funny!!! :laugh:

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on June 28, 2013, 01:13:11 PM
My knowledge of Malipiero comes from

[asin]B000VQQJO4[/asin]

I started out enjoying it greatly, but every successive concerto seemed to be identical to the one that came before.  I ended up being quite turned off.

Can I expect a different experience from the symphonies?

Just ordered... Karl!?!... and, I'm going to learn from Scarpia and begin by listening to the one Aldo Ciccolini(?) recorded, the 3rd (Louisville Editions), then No.1, then the last,... and save 2 and either 4 or 5 for later. There! Problem solved. Plus, there's even an extra piece! Yippy,... aaand!, that's the CDCDCD talkin'... no DOUBT!!haha

Karl Henning

After seeing your video review of the quartets, snypsss . . . you're right, I need to check out the piano concerti, and it is high time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2014, 11:33:05 AM
After seeing your video review of the quartets, snypsss . . . you're right, I need to check out the piano concerti, and it is high time.
Sinfonia de Antigenida (1962)

Whitehouse says this is by far GFM's most bitter work. Who am I to argue? It's the last non-numbered Symphony before resuming numbering with 8 in 1964, which itself is rather inward, gnomic, and enigmatic. Both are quite removed from the sunnier skies of 5-7 (or even the whole first cycle).

However, if we take Whitehouse at his word, and listen, what we hear indeed betrays the sentiment of a lot of Malipiero's generation, that, by the '60s, their achievements had forever been overshadowed by the Masters of High Modernism. The gist of the title is that the public no longer cares, so, he will play for himself. In that regard, the music is somewhat...mm... 'Pathetic', in the best term,... and by no means sounding anything like Petterrsson, or, frankly, anyone I can think of. Perhaps Late Hindemith recalls a bitterness akin to Malipiero's, of the Organ Concerto and the Pittsburgh Symphony? Anyways, GFM's four movement panel form is still on display, but now the music has totally changed from a human, singing voice, to, not mechanical, but, somewhat gnomic, with odd, raking repetitions of strange orchestration, making the proceedings feel like that old black-and-white movie 'Carnival of Souls'. Not in notes, just impression.

The music does sound "meaningful", in that one is aware that GFM is trying to communicate something. I'd say repeated listenings are in order, for one will surely not "get it" on the first go round. GFM's 'bitterness' is 'masked' a lot better than, say, Pettersson, so, the whole experience comes off as somewhat compelling and enigmatic at the same time. I think, Is this what Myaskovsky's 13th sounds like?, but I'm sure GFM is tamer here- he is old after all! Still, it reminds one of all the 'quirky' Composer's like Brian, with their short little enigmas, so, in that regard, this may be held up as the Perfect Odd-Duck Symphony. It is very sad musically, and by sad, I mean 'grey' sad.

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2014, 11:33:05 AM

dude, is it 4:20 alreeeady????

snyprrr

And we have passed 10,000 Views in the Thread! Woo Hoo!! $:)