Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on April 04, 2014, 06:22:35 PM
Finished up PC5 (1958) earlier, and  boy!, it is by far the gruffest of the bunch. I'm calling it the 'Jaws' Concerto! I mean, it's just a'clunkin' away in a very primitive fashion, - it's somewhat jarring, and I didn't quite like it that much. I'd relate it to the 'Dialoghi', much of which I didn't really care for (though, a splendid 'Pseudo-Concerto' for Viola). No.6, though in GFM's Late Style, seems to take a step back from the outright bold rudeness of No.5. I think GFM was really pissed off here in the late '50s.

So, now, I'm listening to the last in line, No.4 (1950). I was wondering how much of his 'breaking' (with his old ways) was going to show here (meaning, was it going to be angular, or linear?), and, I think this is the 'Hit' that No.3 has the reputation for. It opens in joy, and the slow movement is my favourite from the last four. Every note is where it should be here (all the more contrast to  No.5), and it leaves me with a satisfying end to this traversal.

So, if you get this set, may I recommend this order?:

1) Variazoni senza tema
2) PC1
3) PC4
4) PC2
5) PC5
6) PC6
7) PC3

I'm revisiting the PCs now and have started with Variazoni senza tema as you suggested. Quite a melodic work with some interesting harmonic ideas.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2014, 06:17:08 PM
I'm revisiting the PCs now and have started with Variazoni senza tema as you suggested. Quite a melodic work with some interesting harmonic ideas.

Yes, it really was a nice little surprise. Frankly, it's No.5 that cracks me up- it really is, somewhat, Ugly Music, and certainly is compared to the others, reminding me a bit of the gruff ugliness of Hindemith's Octet (love that Teldec recording!). It's a clunk-fest, but it's a nice tonic anfter some of the more beautiful moments.

Tell me what you think, but what do you think of the slow movements of 2 and 4 (even 1)? GFM has a spare beauty that reminds me of Satie. I think the slow part of 1 (or 4) sounds just like Finzi's 'Eclogue'. (from that beauty to the clunk of 5- GFM at least shows variety!!). I have to carp on those beautifiul slow movements- usually just piano and a wind instrument, just sooo space,... pale moonlight... ahhh,...

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on April 07, 2014, 07:21:54 AM
Yes, it really was a nice little surprise. Frankly, it's No.5 that cracks me up- it really is, somewhat, Ugly Music, and certainly is compared to the others, reminding me a bit of the gruff ugliness of Hindemith's Octet (love that Teldec recording!). It's a clunk-fest, but it's a nice tonic anfter some of the more beautiful moments.

Tell me what you think, but what do you think of the slow movements of 2 and 4 (even 1)? GFM has a spare beauty that reminds me of Satie. I think the slow part of 1 (or 4) sounds just like Finzi's 'Eclogue'. (from that beauty to the clunk of 5- GFM at least shows variety!!). I have to carp on those beautifiul slow movements- usually just piano and a wind instrument, just sooo space,... pale moonlight... ahhh,...

I thought Piano Concertos 1-3 and Variazoni senza tema were very good and, yes, those slow movements beautiful. There's an elegance to these works that I like and the piano writing seems rather sparse at times. I enjoyed these four works greatly, but I need to listen to Piano Concertos 4-6 next.

snyprrr

Sweet! Dude!!

Just watch out for No.5! 'Jaws' :blank:

Take a liston to the Violin Concerto No.1 on YT in between, perhaps? I'd like to know what you think of that, too., very lyrical.

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on April 07, 2014, 06:22:16 PM
Sweet! Dude!!

Just watch out for No.5! 'Jaws' :blank:

Take a liston to the Violin Concerto No.1 on YT in between, perhaps? I'd like to know what you think of that, too., very lyrical.

Yeah, I'll have to check out the Jaws Concerto. ;D Do you recommend any recordings of Violin Concerto No. 1? Perhaps that Supraphon recording coupled with Casella's VC?

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 08, 2014, 06:47:48 AM
Yeah, I'll have to check out the Jaws Concerto. ;D Do you recommend any recordings of Violin Concerto No. 1? Perhaps that Supraphon recording coupled with Casella's VC?

It's the only one.

Karl Henning

This thread is helping me gradually get some structural sense of the music across his career.

snypsss, have you heard the triple concerto (1938)?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on April 08, 2014, 12:19:19 PM
This thread is helping me gradually get some structural sense of the music across his career.

snypsss, have you heard the triple concerto (1938)?

It is not in the Catalog.

It seems GFM, and Casellam and Ghedini, and who knows who else, all wrote Triple Concertos around this time.

Quote from: karlhenning on April 08, 2014, 12:21:28 PM
Vn Concerto № 1 (1932):

http://www.youtube.com/v/6zIZL1rwrCM

Vn Concerto № 2 (1963):

http://www.youtube.com/v/YtrzUArSxHM

The VC 1 is gorgeous, is it not?, just pure sunny lyricism, very florid; but, then, that VC 2 is in his 'ugly' vein and I neither liked it or the Flute Concerto (both on Stradivarius), which suited me just fine (I'm allowing the pocketbook to dictate my tolerance level!- so I can easily dismiss things that don't speak to the core immediately). I mean, do you agree? I kind of like the 'ugly' Piano Concerto No.5, but the violin is such a squeaky and whiny instrument, that when GFM turns the 'grate' on, it really grates.

Much of that 'Dialoghi' set on Stradivarius is also- well, some of it maaay be the 'live' recording- but much of the 'Dialoghi' represents GFM's most unappealing music, imo, which, again, is fine by me, because that's just something I won't be obsessing over (gaaah! ::))! Here's my take on the 'Dialoghi'- and you can hear them for yourself on YT:

Sorry, this is off my head- order may be off:

No.1 'de Falla' (ensemble)- this is a nice, general GFM piece; I have it on the Nueva Era disc with 'Grottesco'. (good disc)

No.2 'Socrate'?- don't care to hear a Satie-esque 2 Piano and Vocal piece from GFM.

No.3 for 2 Pianos- this is a verrry clunky piece, aye, 2 pianos goin' at it,- I'll give it to GFM, that he could write music that exasperates! Boulders clunky!

No.4 'Quasi-Concerto'? for 2 Pianos (+ens)- again, clunky and unappealing.

No.5 for Woodwind Quintet- again, a very nice all-purpose GFM piece, almost like Janacek. I have it two separate unavailable Italian cds.

No.6 'Quasi-Concerto' for Viola- (+ens) this is the Masterwork of the bunch, I believe. The slow movement is certainly one of GFM's Top3 Beautiful Moments, maybe even surpassing the ones from the PCs that I've been raving about. Yes, listen to this slow movement on YT, but I have Ernest Wallfisch on Bayer, and he certainly plays it a little better than the player on Stradivarius. A beautiful Gregorian melody opens this very inward and grippingly beautiful music.

No.7 'Quasi-Concerto' for Harpsichord (+ens)- aye, gaaah, no!! Give me either Martinu or Gerhard,... I wasn't even that impressed with Martin's; but this one made me turn it off- maybe I'll come back, but a different recording might be in order. Craggy,... be angry and it may work?

No.8- was there a No.8? If there was, I'm not sure it wasn't just as unappealing as the - OH! Yes, another Vocal (+ens) that I skipped. Sorry, ha! I have yet to approach GFM's Vocal Work.

So, just listen to them on YT, but skip the Stradivarius (on sonics alone- not so bad, buuut...). I do recommend the Wallfisch 'In Memoriam' cd (should be fairly cheap), but I think the others are way OOP (Ricordi).

Based on Groves, there's a few Orchestral Works from the '50s that haven't been recorded (in the vein of the works on the Louisville cd) that might be no great shakes either. That Triple Concerto might be the best thing unrecorded? So, the late '50s is GFM's bitterest phase, and you'll notice a more playful feeling coming out of the very  Late Works, from 1964 on.

See, everyone, wasn't it nice to get to the bottom of Malipiero? I certainly have discovered- and heard- how events and things changed his outlook and how that came through the music. He's extremely human - like Honegger maybe? Not as dramatic, but definitely the craggiest tonal Composer (is there a Brian as craggy as GFM?).

pjme

No interest in  "San Francesco d'Asissi" whatsoever? Because it is vocal or religious or both?

It lasts just under 30 minutes, is in a very supple,lyrical style - and forms a large archaic hymn that ends on a question mark....early Malipiero is ear friendly.

Peter

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on April 10, 2014, 11:28:00 AM
No interest in  "San Francisco d'Asissi" whatsoever? Because it is vocal or religious or both?

My dear chap, I am not at all averse to either dimension!  I simply have yet to mash that link.  I do thank you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on April 08, 2014, 05:18:43 PMdefinitely the craggiest tonal Composer (is there a Brian as craggy as GFM?).

Try 17 and 18 (both composed in 1961)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: pjme on April 10, 2014, 11:28:00 AM
No interest in  "San Francisco d'Asissi" whatsoever? Because it is vocal or religious or both?

It lasts just under 30 minutes, is in a very supple,lyrical style - and forms a large archaic hymn that ends on a question mark....early Malipiero is ear friendly.

Peter
Quote from: karlhenning on April 10, 2014, 11:36:30 AM
My dear chap, I am not at all averse to either dimension!  I simply have yet to mash that link.  I do thank you!
An enticing description indeed, I'll give it a whirl now :)
https://www.youtube.com/v/0ANCSwwe6Ps
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 10, 2014, 12:03:12 PM
Try 17 and 18 (both composed in 1961)

Sarge

Aye, 1961 was rather a craggy year.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: North Star on April 10, 2014, 12:19:46 PM
An enticing description indeed, I'll give it a whirl now :)
https://www.youtube.com/v/0ANCSwwe6Ps
Beautiful writing for the harps and winds, and voices of course.  :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

The more I listen to, the better I like him.  I'm trying not to snaffle up the rest of the symphonies....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on April 10, 2014, 12:54:05 PM
The more I listen to, the better I like him.  I'm trying not to snaffle up the rest of the symphonies....

There IS an end to Malipiero you know! I mean, you can get 1-4 but it won't be any great shakes. The slow movements are always nice. I recommend the Violin Concerto )Suprph.) before the rest of the Symphonies. Or, even the 'Endecatode' Chamber Music (Strad.).

The only left for me is the VC (want) and the Piano Music (not so much). It seems this little spell of CDCDCD ran itself into a brick wall! Can't buy anything if there's nothing to buy. Wait? Huh/ Who said that?

I think some parts of the Piano Concertos sound a lot like a more cheerful Schoenberg Piano Concerto (somewhat Neo-Baroque?).

Also, before you get the other Syms. you should try that Sym. No.6 on Denon. The Marco Polo recording is just way too wooly for this particular piece (there's also a 6 on that other Strad. disc...).

Maybe you'd like the Piano Music? It's somewhat like Janacek's PM, I think, very wayward, going all over the place...

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on April 11, 2014, 06:52:18 AM
I think some parts of the Piano Concertos sound a lot like a more cheerful Schoenberg Piano Concerto (somewhat Neo-Baroque?).

Yes, I have rather casually dipped into the concerti, at the top of his game.  Here and there I hear intersections with Hindemith, with Prokofiev, with Schoenberg, but his music always has its own character.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2014, 07:08:56 AM
Yes, I have rather casually dipped into the concerti, at the top of his game.  Here and there I hear intersections with Hindemith, with Prokofiev, with Schoenberg, but his music always has its own character.

... and Roussel, and Milhaud,.. and... and... yes, I really felt like I heard EVERYONE here?!?! Because GFM's style is somewhat anonymous here, he ends up including the Whole World... they're just a great snapshot of the concerns everyone was concerned with during the mid-century. Maybe they'd make an interesting compare with the Villa-Lobos five? They were written starting in the '40s, I think, but their reputation is a little more in the Hollywood sound? GFM skirts the Hollywood sound, but it's quite a fun little movie that one!

What do you think of those spare slow movements? Just a piano and a flute... I do like GFM's piano writing much more here in context rather than the solos. Here he is reined in by the orchestra, and makes the two fit together perfectly.

And how about that angular Symphony No.5, with two concertante pianos? A nice pendant to this set...

Karl Henning

Gorm, do I have the Fifth Symphony? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA