Malipiero's mausoleum

Started by Scriptavolant, May 31, 2007, 08:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

This is due to be released by Naxos a few days from now....    8)

[asin] B00V872JNK[/asin]

"Five vividly contrasting works, four of them in world première recordings, make up this latest issue in the Naxos series of orchestral music by the Italian composer Gian Francesco Malipiero. Visions of heroism and death form the cornerstone of the release, in the Ditirambo tragico (Tragic Dithyramb) composed during the First World War, and in Malipieros two earliest surviving pieces, Dai sepolcri (From Tombs) and the Sinfonia degli eroi (Symphony of Heroes). They are heard alongside the deceptively relaxed charm of Armenia, based on traditional Armenian melodies, and the varied, pungently Stravinskian moods of the aptly titled Grottesco (Grotesque)."
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on April 29, 2015, 04:10:03 PMIs the cello concerto a "typical" soundscape for Malipiero's works or can one expect a wide variety of tonal worlds?  Regardless, the cello concerto was definitely a positive experience for me. So are the new Naxos releases by La Vecchia worthwhile exploring?

I'm not really sure if the Cello Concerto is typical of the composer or not as I've never heard the work. The Naxos recordings of Malipiero are definitely worth seeking out, especially those La Vecchia recordings, but I wouldn't want to be without the symphonies recordings either (originally released on Marco Polo). I'm not a huge fan of this composer's music as he's quite uneven in the quality of his compositions. Some of the works I've heard are unmemorable and lack a distinctive quality, but, at his best, he's a lyrical composer.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on May 04, 2015, 07:25:54 AM
The CPO release of the PCs???

This beauty right here:

[asin]B000VQQJO4[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on May 04, 2015, 08:22:48 AM
This beauty right here:

[asin]B000VQQJO4[/asin]

A very nice set indeed.

snyprrr

Quote from: Moonfish on May 04, 2015, 07:25:54 AM
The CPO release of the PCs???
I really did like the cello concerto quite a bit. It doesn't seem like it has been recorded for quite a while?

The only other recording is on Nuova Era- with Siegfried Palm on cello, no less! G. Garbarino conducting.(recording verrry dry and serviceable) Disc also has 'Grottesco' from new Naxos release.
Quote from: karlhenning on May 04, 2015, 08:22:48 AM
This beauty right here:

[asin]B000VQQJO4[/asin]

for all that is good- please either subsume this thread into my corrected title, or Capitalize that "M" in "mausoleum"- huh? pretty please_ can there be a little good tonight???

it will haunt you if you don't!!!!!

snyprrr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 04, 2015, 07:34:20 AM
This is due to be released by Naxos a few days from now....    8)

[asin] B00V872JNK[/asin]

"Five vividly contrasting works, four of them in world première recordings, make up this latest issue in the Naxos series of orchestral music by the Italian composer Gian Francesco Malipiero. Visions of heroism and death form the cornerstone of the release, in the Ditirambo tragico (Tragic Dithyramb) composed during the First World War, and in Malipieros two earliest surviving pieces, Dai sepolcri (From Tombs) and the Sinfonia degli eroi (Symphony of Heroes). They are heard alongside the deceptively relaxed charm of Armenia, based on traditional Armenian melodies, and the varied, pungently Stravinskian moods of the aptly titled Grottesco (Grotesque)."

Looks like a great release. I just added to my Amazon wishlist.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2015, 08:20:10 PM
Looks like a great release. I just added to my Amazon wishlist.

Me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

I just downloaded the Naxos recording of the 3rd and 4th Symphonies, and I've got to say they were a joy to hear.  There's so much life to the score and the slower movements are striking in their beauty. Some composers speak your language and Malipiero definately speaks mine. I'm looking forward to picking up some more of his music. I'm aware he went through the usual phases of composers born to the Stravinsky generation, and that late in his long life he composed more in the atonal language. I'm looking forward to hearing the progression. I've heard his wonderful third PC and will look for a good recording of that as well as his other concerti.  Which post4th Symphony would be best to go with? I've known about Malipiero all along, but I somehow forgot about him over the years :-X.

Mirror Image

I really ought to revisit Malipiero's Piano Concertos. I remember good things about them.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Rons_talking on February 16, 2016, 08:12:44 AM
I just downloaded the Naxos recording of the 3rd and 4th Symphonies, and I've got to say they were a joy to hear.  There's so much life to the score and the slower movements are striking in their beauty. Some composers speak your language and Malipiero definately speaks mine. I'm looking forward to picking up some more of his music. I'm aware he went through the usual phases of composers born to the Stravinsky generation, and that late in his long life he composed more in the atonal language. I'm looking forward to hearing the progression. I've heard his wonderful third PC and will look for a good recording of that as well as his other concerti.  Which post4th Symphony would be best to go with?

I almost want to say "any of them"—only I know how helpful that won't be  8)

OTTOMH I should suggest either № 6 (Degli archi) or № 8 (Sinfonia brevis).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

I just downloaded the Naxos recording of the 3rd and 4th Symphonies, and I've got to say they were a joy to hear.  There's so much life to the score and the slower movements are striking in their beauty. Some composers speak your language and Malipiero definately speaks mine. I'm looking forward to picking up some more of his music. I'm aware he went through the usual phases of composers born to the Stravinsky generation, and that late in his long life he composed more in the atonal language. I'm looking forward to hearing the progression. I've heard his wonderful third PC and will look for a good recording of that as well as his other concerti.  Which post4th Symphony would be best to go with? I've known about Malipiero all along, but I somehow forgot about him over the years :-X.
Those are my favourites by this composer but you might also like Symphony 7 and the string quartets available dirt cheap on Brilliant.
PS having said that I just looked up the Brilliant set on Amazon UK and found it now on sale for £75.99  :o. Hardly 'dirt cheap'. I think I paid about £7 for them. They are much cheaper on ASV on the Amazon US site.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Shhh!!!!! Don't listen to anyone but me!!! Meeeeeee!!!!!!!

Symphony No.7 is the Overall Best, as being better than No.3 only by not having such a bombastic finale (not that it's that much, but, No.7 eliminates any displeasures). Then, of course, perhaps, the actual Best in Show might just go to the Symphony No.6 for Strings, BUT, only if you get the Denon recording, in its unbelievable sound. Now, I like all the later, quirky, numbered Symphonies 8-11, but the other ones are... different: go for the Naxos/Marco Polo with No.7, which also includes the interesting Sinfonia della Antigenida.

Then, the Piano Concertos AND the String Quartets (Dynamic version ONLY PLEASE!!!) YES, it may cost you a limb, or not, but you must must must get that one.

Eventually you might want to delve further. This Thread should have some good Posts. And, that Naxos series is coming along.

BUT PLEASE, CONSULT ME BEFORE PURCHASE- DON'T make any rash malipiero purchases,- get ONLY the approved recordings.

Stay away from the "Dialoghi" set on Stradivarious.

I have spoken

Rons_talking

Quote from: snyprrr on February 16, 2016, 07:22:31 PM
Shhh!!!!! Don't listen to anyone but me!!! Meeeeeee!!!!!!!

Symphony No.7 is the Overall Best, as being better than No.3 only by not having such a bombastic finale (not that it's that much, but, No.7 eliminates any displeasures). Then, of course, perhaps, the actual Best in Show might just go to the Symphony No.6 for Strings, BUT, only if you get the Denon recording, in its unbelievable sound. Now, I like all the later, quirky, numbered Symphonies 8-11, but the other ones are... different: go for the Naxos/Marco Polo with No.7, which also includes the interesting Sinfonia della Antigenida.

Then, the Piano Concertos AND the String Quartets (Dynamic version ONLY PLEASE!!!) YES, it may cost you a limb, or not, but you must must must get that one.

Eventually you might want to delve further. This Thread should have some good Posts. And, that Naxos series is coming along.

BUT PLEASE, CONSULT ME BEFORE PURCHASE- DON'T make any rash malipiero purchases,- get ONLY the approved recordings.

Stay away from the "Dialoghi" set on Stradivarious.

I have spoken

Sorry Snyprrr, I WAS rash in my acquiring much of Malipiero's music over the past few weeks. I hadn't seen this post until today :-[. I downloaded the Naxos recordings of Symphonies 1-6,8, 11. I live in a remote area in BC and the postage on Amazon kills me...
My reflections show a preference for the 1930-early 50s works, though some of the earlier scores are also nice. 

Karl Henning

No worries; our snyppps is an excitable fellow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

... and possibly under-medicated.   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

And, incidentally, I am perfectly content with the Venetian String Quartet recording of the quartets.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rons_talking

Early returns on the numbered symphonies...I like them all  :).  The 6th, for strings, is really good and it inspired me to purchase the collected String Quartets (Dynamic). It'll take awhile for them to arrive. While I haven't heard the 7th Symphony, I've been binging on the first six as well as the Piano and Violin Concerti (PC 3). I'd really like to get a hold of the complete PC collection as I have always been a fan of PC3. The 1930-50 period I prefer to his earlier work. Some of the WW1 works are nice, but overall the impressionistic works seem less original and are sometimes harmonically uninteresting. Not that there aren't a lot of works I like ( the Pause del Silencio and Impressions Dal Vero have some great music in them). But his gift for melodic phrases really shines in those numbered Symphonies and concerti.

I have to say that the fidelity on the Naxos recordings is uneven, but since they pretty much cover all his work of that period, I can't complain. I'm curious as to what his opera output sounds like, but to be frank, I don't listen to much opera these days. As his works are often on the short side, it's easy to listen to several wofks in succession...for good or bad. For now, I want those Piano Concertos and String Quartets...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 01, 2016, 06:09:48 AM
[...] The 1930-50 period I prefer to his earlier work.

Me, too, though perhaps my ear is kinder to the early work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rons_talking

Quote from: karlhenning on March 01, 2016, 06:21:44 AM
Me, too, though perhaps my ear is kinder to the early work.

No disrespect intended...I like lots of the early work; it's just got to wait until I've listened to the mid and late pieces that have hooked me in. The Pause Dal Silenzios are playing as I write (N.2 is great)...not that they're so early, but they are pre-1930. GFMs artistic periods gently reflect the the 20th C. development of the language. He is the first Italian composer I've listened to in a long while and I appreciate the emphasis on lyricism.