Brilliant!
5 (62.5%)
Pretentious crap!
1 (12.5%)
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 6

XB-70 Valkyrie

I saw this once about 15 + years ago and thought it was really interesting, but as the years have passed I've become less and less sympathetic to the need for exotic adventures and the abdication of everyday responsibilities as a means to enlightenment. I do want to watch this again though. I would have bought it on DVD years ago but all the reviews of the DVD said the quality was horrible and that scenes had been deleted. Maybe there's a better version out now.

Some people I know think the movie is brilliant while others think it's pretentious crap. Thoughts anyone?

(Has anyone seen the Far Side cartoon, "My Dinner with Andy"?  ;D  )
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

head-case

I vote for pretentious crap.  The opening sequence, when the little guy self-importantly describes all of the things he must do before meeting Andre (such as buying envelopes) was very amusing.  The rest struck me as dross.

Solitary Wanderer

Saw this years ago and loved it  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

orbital

I'd love to see it. Netflix does not currently carry this title, but if enough people can add it to their "Saved" list, they may be pressured to get some copies  0:)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on June 01, 2007, 03:10:35 AM
(Has anyone seen the Far Side cartoon, "My Dinner with Andy"?  ;D  )

Here's another "My Dinner with Andy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m72YEe6WdYA

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

I checked "Brilliant" because I think it is...well, audacious anyway. I really enjoyed it. I like films with a lot of dialogue and it just doesn't get more talky than this one ;D  But, like Wallace Shawn, I didn't entirely buy the philosophy of AndrĂ©; he seemed pretentious at times and even a bit of a bore (the long story about the rites in the Polish forest just seemed silly to me, not profound, and went on way too long...if I'd been sitting opposite him I probably would have interrupted and called for the check). I found the end intensely moving: the simple trip down nostalgia lane.

I'll have to revisit this film; it's been more than twenty years since I last saw it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bunny

I saw this years and years ago.  For some reason, I thought it was really inspired by Ma Nuit Chez Maud.

SonicMan46

Wife & I saw this years ago - we were bored (but quite young then - maybe wanted to get home to do more interesting things?  ;) - might enjoy it more now?).

But, I do love Wallace Shawn in the movie The Princess Bride, remember the scene w/ the cups & the poison?  Still love that movie!  ;D

XB-70 Valkyrie

I've always enjoyed Wallace Shawn's appearance in Manhattan!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Wendell_E

Quote from: orbital on June 01, 2007, 12:55:32 PM
I'd love to see it. Netflix does not currently carry this title, but if enough people can add it to their "Saved" list, they may be pressured to get some copies  0:)

The problem is that it's out of print, and I don't know of any plans to re-release it, so it may be in your "Saved" list for a long time.  Netflix used to have it for rent, but they moved it from my queue to my Saved list when they ran out of rentable copies.