Publications

Started by Steve, May 31, 2007, 11:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Just wondering what sorts of (non-musical) papers/journals/magazines that are read regularily by GMG members....

Mine:

New York Times
Economist
Atlantic Monthly
Scientific American
National Geographic
Foreign Affairs

Post away!  :)

head-case

Wow, there are still some young people left who read?

Steve

and they're all on this forum...  ;D

op.110

NYT
The Economist
Newsweek

Steve

Another Economist reader.  :) Have you tried the new audio edition?

op.110

ohh and not really a "publication" but news.bbc.co.uk

op.110

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 11:55:30 AM
Another Economist reader.  :) Have you tried the new audio edition?

No I have not. Do they really pack the whole magazine, word for word, into an audio recording?

orbital

NYT only. I subscribed for a 4-week trial a while ago, but forgot to cancel so it still keeps coming. I hardly ever read it though.

My wife is a big magazine junkie. Our house is full of magazines, she probably gets one magazine per day either via mail or at the newsstand.

Steve

Quote from: op.110 on May 31, 2007, 11:58:40 AM
No I have not. Do they really pack the whole magazine, word for word, into an audio recording?

Yes. Every article.

mahlertitan

MishaK

Pretty much the only publication I can enjoy reading cover to cover these days is the New York Review of Books. Mostly everything else has gone so badly down the drain, that it's not worth subsciribing to. I will ocasionally read the New Yorker (I mean, reading Seymour Hersh is practically a civic duty) and I do try to daily browse through most of the larger daily papers and news magazines in Germany, the US and occasionally a few other countries that I can get my hands on online and whose language I understand. You really have to compare what you read across borders these days to get even a remotely accurate picture of what's going on.

Steve: I used to read things like Economist, Foreign Affairs (used to subscribe to that) and Atlantic Monthly regularly, but they aren't what they used to be. A few exceptional contributions excepted, Foreign Affairs is very much a Beltway organ with few truly original voices. Reading FA needs to be tempered at least by reading Foreign Policy as well for a different perspective, not to mention foreign publications. Economist has become an echo chamber for disgruntled former economics grad students.

Steve

Quote from: O Mensch on May 31, 2007, 12:16:53 PM
Pretty much the only publication I can enjoy reading cover to cover these days is the New York Review of Books. Mostly everything else has gone so badly down the drain, that it's not worth subsciribing to. I will ocasionally read the New Yorker (I mean, reading Seymour Hersh is practically a civic duty) and I do try to daily browse through most of the larger daily papers and news magazines in Germany, the US and occasionally a few other countries that I can get my hands on online and whose language I understand. You really have to compare what you read across borders these days to get even a remotely accurate picture of what's going on.

Steve: I used to read things like Economist, Foreign Affairs (used to subscribe to that) and Atlantic Monthly regularly, but they aren't what they used to be. A few exceptional contributions excepted, Foreign Affairs is very much a Beltway organ with few truly original voices. Reading FA needs to be tempered at least by reading Foreign Policy as well for a different perspective, not to mention foreign publications. Economist has become an echo chamber for disgruntled former economics grad students.

It is true that many of the aforementioned publications have seen better days. The level of scholarship in the New Yorker (most unfortunate) has certainly declined in recent years. I, too enjoy the New York Times Review of Books. As to your claim about the Econonmist, that would probably be the one journal, which is absolutely indispensible to me. The Economist excellent coverage of International Economics, their unique perspectives on American politics, and the overall, level-headed bent, simply can't be beaten.

I also read, less regularily, Der Speigel and Focus from Germany, and on occassion, Le Monde.

MishaK

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 01:35:05 PM
I, too enjoy the New York Times Review of Books.

No, not the NYT Book Review, the New York Review of Books: www.nybooks.com

I know, confusing.

Steve

Quote from: O Mensch on May 31, 2007, 01:53:47 PM
No, not the NYT Book Review, the New York Review of Books: www.nybooks.com

I know, confusing.

I've made the mistake before. I need a new periodical, perhaps...

Mark

Most non-musical publications these days have the effect of making me horribly depressed about the world (a sign of ageing, I'm sure), so I avoid everything except a twice daily glimpse at the BBC's online news service - just enough to keep me abreast. I used to take The Guardian, but it now seems too left of centre for my tastes, and The Times is a joke compared to what it was 15 years ago. I also used to like The Observer, but even this feels like it's taken a tumble. So I restrict myself to three classical music titles: BBC Music Magazine (my absolute favourite, not least for the complete works featured on the cover CDs - often something intriguing from the BBC archives), The Gramophone, and ... shame of all shame ... Classic FM Magazine. I get the last of these simply as light reading early in the morning on the train into London. Honest. ;D

Solitary Wanderer

I subscribe to the New Zealand Herald so receive that on the doorstep 7 days a week. My wife reads more of it than me and enjoys the Suduko. I like the Wednesday arts section which includes reviews of concerts etc. Like Mark, I find alot of the hard news too depressing so really only scan a few items of interest. I also subscribe to the Sunday-Star Times which is a decent weekend newspaper with some half decent arts/food/lifestyle articles.

Beyond that I don't read any publications getting most of my info on-line.

I've considered a classical music magazine, but I mainly read music books in the evenings so... :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

SonicMan46

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 11:05:14 AM
Just wondering what sorts of (non-musical) papers/journals/magazines that are read regularily by GMG members....  Mine:

New York Times
Economist
Atlantic Monthly
Scientific American
National Geographic
Foreign Affairs

Steve - use to read several of those above routinely, e.g. Scientific American & National Geographic - current ones are:

Newspapers:  Winston-Salem Journal (local newspaper - not very good!); Sunday NYTimes & USA Today

Wine periodicals:  Wine Spectator, California Grapevine, & Conn. Guide to CA Wine - just one of my hobbies!

Wood Working:  Fine Woodworking & American Woodworker (use to subscribe to more) - another hobby!

Computers:  PC Magazine & PC World - just to 'keep up' on the computer industry

Music:  Sound & Vision, Blues, & Downbeat (plus more - I've let most of these expire)

Charity periodicals:  Contribute to a lot of charities, such as the Am. Museum of the Indian

Wife receives her own periodicals which I usually do not read (At Monthly, New Yorker, and others)

I'm sure that there are a number not mentioned -  ;D

Steve

Quote from: SonicMan on May 31, 2007, 03:38:19 PM
Steve - use to read several of those above routinely, e.g. Scientific American & National Geographic - current ones are:

Newspapers:  Winston-Salem Journal (local newspaper - not very good!); Sunday NYTimes & USA Today

Wine periodicals:  Wine Spectator, California Grapevine, & Conn. Guide to CA Wine - just one of my hobbies!

Wood Working:  Fine Woodworking & American Woodworker (use to subscribe to more) - another hobby!

Computers:  PC Magazine & PC World - just to 'keep up' on the computer industry

Music:  Sound & Vision, Blues, & Downbeat (plus more - I've let most of these expire)

Charity periodicals:  Contribute to a lot of charities, such as the Am. Museum of the Indian

Wife receives her own periodicals which I usually do not read (At Monthly, New Yorker, and others)

I'm sure that there are a number not mentioned -  ;D

What a nice variety!  :)

I'd say of all the journals that come to my door, I most excited every month to open National Geographic.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 03:45:05 PM

What a nice variety!  :)

I'd say of all the journals that come to my door, I most excited every month to open National Geographic.

Steve - my father has received that journal for years (and I did for a while; just a problem of 'how many' one can read, I guess; used to also subscribe to the Smithsonian mag which I've dropped, again just an issue of time).

Plus, I did not mention in my post the medical journals that I receive because of my profession (about a half dozen or so arriving on a monthly basis - these require a LOT of time, even w/ 'skipping' the articles that do not apply to my 'academic subspecialty').  :D

uffeviking

Quote from: Steve on May 31, 2007, 02:49:55 PM
I need a new periodical, perhaps...

Then try The Times Literary Supplement! - That's London Times -. I used subscribe to the NY Review of books, but switched to the Londoners, more worldwide literature, plus usually one or two opera, play or concert reviews. They now have a distributor in the US and I get them regularly, once week.

The others on my list are Opera - also London, not the NY Met's house organ! -
The New Yorker, because of the cartoons and the sentimental desire to show my support to the people of NY after 9/11.
For all the news I ever need there is Der Spiegel - Take note of the correct spelling, Dear Steve!  ;)-
Last one: Nature Conservancy publication.