Georges Octors, conductor 1923-2020.

Started by pjme, June 26, 2020, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Born 2 april 1923 in Gamboni (then the Belgian Congo), he passed away in Brussels, 18 juin 2020,

I mixed up father and son. Georges Octors passed away.
Georges Elie Octors was born in 1947

not edward

Wow, I had no idea he was from that generation! It's a real tribute to him how active he was, conducting music by the younger generations well into his 80s.

He really was a great servant to new music, particularly in his work with Ictus--I discovered Fausto Romitelli, Rafael Cendo and Franck Bedrossian through his recordings.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

CRCulver

Is the Georges Octors who died really the same Georges-Elie Octors who has conducted Ictus? When I read the obituary, I assumed that the latter is the deceased's son. In press materials the Ictus conductor doesn't look like he was born in 1923, and none of the obituaries for the deceased mentioned his role with Ictus and avant-garde music.

pjme

You are absolutely right. Today (june 29th) I entered the correction.

Georges Elie is associated with the Ictus ensemble. Father Georges with the Belgian National orchestra and the Queen Elisabeth Competition.