Tchaikovsky Symphonies complete

Started by Harry, May 21, 2009, 05:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Greg on November 23, 2010, 02:33:08 PM
Where did you get that? I got that set from Borders, and you probably don't live that far from me, so it's probably one that finds its way into CD stores over here for some reason.

Borders it was.  The now defunct Borders that was across the street from me.   It seems the only places to buy CDs now in Broward County and northern Dade are three Barnes and Nobles (with at least three others in the area that don't carry music and DVDs.

greg

Quote from: kishnevi on November 23, 2010, 07:58:05 PM
Borders it was.  The now defunct Borders that was across the street from me.   It seems the only places to buy CDs now in Broward County and northern Dade are three Barnes and Nobles (with at least three others in the area that don't carry music and DVDs.
That's funny, because I had gotten that set from the Borders going out of business in Altamonte Springs (Orange County).

It seems like certain areas have certain CDs... the library is the same way. For example, the Mahler 10th CD with Wigglesworth conducting is a rare one, but both the Orange County and Lake County library have it. There was another example, too, but I can't remember it.

Peregrine

Thinking of buying this set from Rozhdestvensky on Melodiya. Thoughts anyone?

Yes, we have no bananas

jochanaan

I have to mention a set I bought on Everest LP in the '70s, thinking it would be an inexpensive addition.  It wasn't just inexpensive--it was downright cheap!  The recorded sound was awful and mostly the performances, from various orchestras and conductors, were no better.  When Hans Swarowski and the Vienna Symphony (not Philharmonic) are the best performances in the set, or even almost so, you're reaching pretty low!  (Actually, that's not fair to Maestro Swarowski, a former conducting professor at the Vienna Conservatory; he taught Zubin Mehta and Claudio Abbado, among others.  But his Tchaikovsky is much too heavy-sounding and inflexible for my tastes.)  The only exception was Manfred with Eugene Goossens leading the London Symphony, and that is only for the fiery playing and interpretation; the sound was just as awful as the rest of the set and Manfred was cut nearly to ribbons (except for the Waterfall movement, played complete, flawlessly and beautifully).

Some recordings deserve to be forgotten. :P
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

Quote from: Peregrine on October 25, 2013, 09:52:57 AM
Thinking of buying this set from Rozhdestvensky on Melodiya. Thoughts anyone?

Would love to know about these performances, too. I imagine they're quite good considering that Rozhdestvensky is a such master in Russian music.

flyingdutchman

A fantastic new set for the SACD crowd and overall is the Kitajenko Oehms set that has now been completed.  I have virtually everything mentioned in this thread and more and Kitajenko tops my list.

ubertrout

Quote from: Daverz on May 26, 2009, 11:56:23 AM
For Tchaikovsky Symphonies 1-3, I recommend Ormandy, available from Archivmusic.  I love the Winter Dreams in this set, and the Polish is also excellent.

Figured I'd mention that Ormandy's complete Tchaikovsky recordings, including numbered symphonies, Manfred, the reconstructed "7th," along with concerti and ballet music is being released by Sony in a bargain box.

[asin]B00EC0VVZ2[/asin]

Octave

I am curious about this set, apparently released not long after the last post in this thread:

Tchaikovsky: EIGHT SYMPHONIES etc [Rozhdestvensky et al] (Musical Concepts, 6cd)

Rozh conducts only 2-6 and MANFRED, and these are his 1989 recordings with the Large Symphony Orchestra of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation. 
(Not his 1972 symphonies w/Moscow Radio Symphony [the Melodiya set, pictured just above?], nor his 4-6 with LSO from 1987, these latter included in the big Brilliant EDITION set or in their little stand-alone Tchaikovsky symphonies set.)
I rely on John Fowler's Amazon review of the MC set for these dates.

I'd be curious how these Rozh performances rate/compare to his other recordings.  I did not see much discussion of his symphonies recordings in this thread [Harry praised the ones with LSO] though I remember at least one positive reference to his MANFRED recordings.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

flyingdutchman

Browsing through Music-Web recently, I found this:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jun/Tchaikovsky_Sladkovsky.htm

A glowing and recommended recording, according to the reviewer.  Based on his review, I bought a couple to see what I might be missing. Well, from the original review, quite a bit. I love Manfred and while there are a number of conductors who make cuts, according to http://en.tchaikovsky-research.net/pages/Manfred:_Recordings, the list is becoming fewer. I personally prefer the full version, but I realize there might be those who don't. I just wish the reviewer had made that clear when reviewing this new version. I did make note of the differences (the original timing from the reviewer was 56 minutes 56 seconds) and told Len at Music-web. The reviewer made the revisions and noted the version reviewed, but I really wish reviewers would make that clear when making their qualitative assessments.  How do you feel about these things? I'm glad Music-web made the correction, but then again when a reviewer compares Manfred versions with each other, don't you think it's ethical to compare apples with apples? I just feel a version that's cut shouldn't be mixed in with those that are complete, especially when such a clear difference in Manfred is made.

Daverz

Their Shostakovich cycle is good, too.  Haven't heard their Tchaikovsky.

Brian

Also a fan of some of Sladkovsky's previous recordings - way better orchestra than the name suggests. I was actually early on their bandwagon at MusicWeb in 2016.

As far as noting editions and cuts - if you as a writer are well-listened enough to know that there are different editions, or cuts made, you should absolutely say that. And if you say "don't get this recording, get that one instead," you should note the editions used by both. But in many cases I think comparing apples to oranges makes some sense - like say the brass section in different Bruckner albums.

flyingdutchman

Really?  Absolutely NO reason to bring my thread into this one. My thread wasn't solely about Tchaikovsky symphonies but pointing out an issue specifically about cutting versions and passing them off as complete. Good grief. Do you even READ the content of a thread and posting?  Over moderation.  Get off your moderation horse, moderators. Quit censoring threads and don't put an issue that you feel fits within a little box into your preconceived notions. 

André

I must say I had found your post ill-fitting to this thread. Now I understand. What title had you given it ?

vers la flamme

DaveF

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 24, 2020, 02:05:33 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Federation-Rozhdestvensky-Konstantin-Orchestra/dp/B00GSXU7T2

Thoughts on this? It's 99 cents on Amazon for the whole set on mp3.

Even if it's really terrible (which is difficult to imagine, given the personnel), it's 99 cents (unless you really need CD quality, in which case it's $902).  You'd be doing us a favour if you were to go for it and post a review.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Roasted Swan

Quote from: DaveF on June 24, 2020, 02:39:20 AM
Even if it's really terrible (which is difficult to imagine, given the personnel), it's 99 cents (unless you really need CD quality, in which case it's $902).  You'd be doing us a favour if you were to go for it and post a review.

There's a version of this set as a download available in the UK for just £1.  It is very good indeed.  Sonically a bit limited/crude - but only in the way that old Melodiya sourced are.  Interpretatively, they are very fine indeed and I love the rasp and bite of the Soviet brass.....

https://classicselectworlddigital.com/collections/musical-concepts-mc-library/products/tchaikovsky-the-eight-symphonies-rozhdestvensky-large-symphony-orchestra-of-the-russian-federation

If I could only buy 1 complete Tchaikovsky set it would be Rostropovitch/LPO on Warner - great great set