Tchaikovsky Symphonies complete

Started by Harry, May 21, 2009, 05:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I am looking for the 1960 recordings of Tchaikovsky Symphonies done by Karajan, the complete set. I bought this box many years ago, and loved it to bits, but somehow it got lost. I have the last 3 but not the first 3. Anyone that can point me in the right direction, or wants to sell or even better trade?

PerfectWagnerite

As far as I know HVK recorded symphonies 1, 2 and 3 only once. You can pick them up in this cheap two-fer:

Grazioso

Last three from the 60's, first three from the 70's.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Coopmv

Quote from: Grazioso on May 21, 2009, 10:01:45 AM

Last three from the 60's, first three from the 70's.

All 6 Tchaikovsky Symphonies are in this set.  I just checked my set, which is still in cellophane ...

Harry

Quote from: Coopmv on May 21, 2009, 05:55:45 PM
All 6 Tchaikovsky Symphonies are in this set.  I just checked my set, which is still in cellophane ...

So these are the sixties recordings Coop?

Grazioso

Fwiw, I checked DG's site, and they don't list the recording dates. As far as I can see, PerfectWagnerite already hit the nail on the head, but I'm sure one of the board's hardcore HvK fans can confirm that.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Coopmv

Quote from: Harry on May 21, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
So these are the sixties recordings Coop?

I just opened up the box and checked the disc for Symphonies 1 & 2.  It says 1979 on the edge of the disc.  Without referring to my old Penguin Records Guide, I do not know whether any Tchaikovsky recordings were made by Karajan in 79 since that date may not necessarily be a recording date ...

nimrod79

As far as I know, Karajan recorded the first three symphonies only once, as part of a full cycle of the six symphonies for DG during the late 1970s.  Before that, he had already recorded the last three twice with the Berlin Philharmonic (once for DG and once for EMI) during the 1960s.  He'd record the final three symphonies again with the Vienna Philharmonic during the 1980s. 

Harry

Quote from: nimrod79 on May 22, 2009, 04:56:15 AM
As far as I know, Karajan recorded the first three symphonies only once, as part of a full cycle of the six symphonies for DG during the late 1970s.  Before that, he had already recorded the last three twice with the Berlin Philharmonic (once for DG and once for EMI) during the 1960s.  He'd record the final three symphonies again with the Vienna Philharmonic during the 1980s. 

No, he did a complete cycle in the sixties.

nimrod79

QuoteNo, he did a complete cycle in the sixties.

Interesting, I've never come across his 1960s version of 1-3.  Are they available?

Coopmv

Quote from: nimrod79 on May 22, 2009, 05:02:18 AM
Interesting, I've never come across his 1960s version of 1-3.  Are they available?

It is hard to imagine DG has not already re-issued this set but where is it?  I have the 1-3 in a 3-LP set I bought in the late 70's or early 80's.

Coopmv

According to my (ancient) 1984 Penguin Record Guide - section that reviewed the Tchaikovsky Symphonies Nos. 1-3, Karajan had finally recorded those early symphonies a few years earlier.  While Karajan had recorded Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 a number of times by 1984, it appears he only recorded T1-T3 once (in the late 70's).  His Tchaikovsky Symphonies Nos 5 & 6 with the VPO were the last of them and the only Tchaikovsky Symphonies that were recorded for CD directly.  All previous recordings were originally made for LP's and later remastered to CD.  It looks like the Karajan Symphony Edition does include these T1-T3 ...

My 3-LP set for T1-T3 shows 1979 as the year of recording.

greg

Anyone listen to this set? I remember someone asked my opinion about it a while ago, but I forgot who it was.
I'm no Tchaikovsky expert, but I thought this set was fine, although obviously there are many other recordings that are better. Still, I recommend it, especially since it's only $17 (and I happened to get it for only $10, although for reasons that are sad, but still...)

Coopmv

Quote from: Bahamut on May 22, 2009, 06:09:29 PM

Anyone listen to this set? I remember someone asked my opinion about it a while ago, but I forgot who it was.
I'm no Tchaikovsky expert, but I thought this set was fine, although obviously there are many other recordings that are better. Still, I recommend it, especially since it's only $17 (and I happened to get it for only $10, although for reasons that are sad, but still...)

Is that a Vox box?  The lettering on the box is not easy to read ...

Coopmv

The 1984 Penguin Record Guide gave a glowing review to Karajan's T1-T3.

Renfield

Regarding Karajan, I can confirm that, to the extent of my knowledge, he has only recorded the first three Tchaikovsky symphonies once; and that was in the late 1970s. I can also recall explicit references to that fact by Gramophone contributors on a number of occasions, for what it's worth - including the relevant entry in the Good Record Guide.

Perhaps you had something else in mind? :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Renfield on May 22, 2009, 06:36:31 PM
Regarding Karajan, I can confirm that, to the extent of my knowledge, he has only recorded the first three Tchaikovsky symphonies once; and that was in the late 1970s. I can also recall explicit references to that fact by Gramophone contributors on a number of occasions, for what it's worth - including the relevant entry in the Good Record Guide.

Perhaps you had something else in mind? :)

The 3-LP set I have shows 1979 as the date of recording in the liner notes.

Cato

I have always wondered why Mravinsky had not recorded the first 3 symphonies!

Has anybody read a biography with the answer?  Did he consider them inferior?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Renfield

Quote from: Cato on May 22, 2009, 06:51:10 PM
I have always wondered why Mravinsky had not recorded the first 3 symphonies!

Has anybody read a biography with the answer?  Did he consider them inferior?

I'd think it more the case that Mravinsky happened to record 5 and 6, then 4, 5 and 6 when asked (and I do know he adored the 5th), rather than deliberately avoid the first three, if I was to attempt an educated guess.

But seeing as there are no concert broadcasts of them either, it might well be that he considered other works more important, too. :)