Tchaikovsky Symphonies complete

Started by Harry, May 21, 2009, 05:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Bahamut on May 22, 2009, 06:09:29 PM

Anyone listen to this set? I remember someone asked my opinion about it a while ago, but I forgot who it was.
I'm no Tchaikovsky expert, but I thought this set was fine, although obviously there are many other recordings that are better. Still, I recommend it, especially since it's only $17 (and I happened to get it for only $10, although for reasons that are sad, but still...)
I have that set, spread over 8 cds with other assorted Tchaikovsky orchestral works (the orchestral works are not performed by Abravanel/Utah SO). The performances are average to below average in my opinion. They are satisfactory if you don't make any comparisons to other sets or individual performances out there. The playing is good but not great, no real flair or personality. The sound is rather boxy and wears on you on repeated hearing. Even if it is only $17 i wouldn't buy it, considering for $10-$15 more you can get some much better sets.

Daverz

Winter Dreams was one of the symphonies I spot checked in the big DG Karajan Symphonies box, and I did not care for the rather dull, artificial sound.  The Bruckner 5 in that box, for example, is a much better recording.

For Tchaikovsky Symphonies 1-3, I recommend Ormandy, available from Archivmusic.  I love the Winter Dreams in this set, and the Polish is also excellent.

karlhenning

Quote from: Cato on May 22, 2009, 06:51:10 PM
I have always wondered why Mravinsky had not recorded the first 3 symphonies!

Has anybody read a biography with the answer?  Did he consider them inferior?

Most interesting question, and no, I haven't read a biography . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: Daverz on May 26, 2009, 11:56:23 AM
For Tchaikovsky Symphonies 1-3, I recommend Ormandy, available from Archivmusic.

I haven't heard the Ormandy, but I can with a clean breast pound the table both for Muti, and Markevich.

zamyrabyrd

There's a terrific new series of Tchaikovsky Symphonies with some overtures and shorter works on Mezzo TV with Gergiev and the Maryinsky Orchestra. These were recorded in the Salle Pleyel early in 2010 (it seems).  I viewed Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 5 totally mesmerized and am looking forward to the rest.  Some of his rubati are uncommon (may well be in the scores). He and his orchestra do everything with such energy and commitment, they near sound like different works.

I enjoyed the featured facial expression of the first violinist when they were about to wrap up the last movement of the 5th - a smile of joy and fulfilment.

Did anyone else get to hear these, maybe in public?

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Opus106

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on November 16, 2010, 09:28:40 AM
There's a terrific new series of Tchaikovsky Symphonies with some overtures and shorter works on Mezzo TV with Gergiev and the Maryinsky Orchestra. These were recorded in the Salle Pleyel early in 2010 (it seems).  I viewed Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 5 totally mesmerized and am looking forward to the rest.  Some of his rubati are uncommon (may well be in the scores). He and his orchestra do everything with such energy and commitment, they near sound like different works.

I enjoyed the featured facial expression of the first violinist when they were about to wrap up the last movement of the 5th - a smile of joy and fulfilment.

ZB

I have them all in mp3, the fillers included. But I think I have only heard the second so far.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Never cared too much for Karajan's Tchaikovsky recordings, but the following are my favorite symphony sets:

Not pictured:

Tchaikvosky: Complete Symphonies, Svetlanov, USSR State Symphony Orchestra, Warner Classics --- not the best audio quality compared to Jansons or Abbado, but the performances are white hot. I think they're as intense and passionate as Bernstein's readings.

In terms of just Symphonies Nos. 4-6 there are many fine sets:

Gurn Blanston

My current favorites are the Svetlanov/Russian State SO cycle on Canyon. Recorded 'live' in Tokyo. On the downside, they are 1 symphony per disk with no filler. On the upside, they are worth it. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on November 16, 2010, 09:28:40 AM

ZB
Oi! Yes, but I didn't really enjoy them that much. You can see my reaction to #5 here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9.msg464552.html#msg464552. I expected much more. But I am glad you enjoyed them anyway.

There are really lots of good sets out there. MI posted a bunch of them, though others include Dorati, Karajan, Litton, Pletnev, and Haitink (if memory serves, he did do one of those). Maazel did a decent 1-3 and Ashkenazy did a good 4-6 (both Decca Doubles, or were anyway). The recent Gatti box is a great bargain for 4-6 as well. Highly recommend that if the price is still great - superb performances in good sound. Temirkanov did a set that doesn't seem to get much love. I haven't heard that one. Rozhdestvensky did 4-6, though they are all issued separately. Pappano did 4-6 ok. Anyway, just a few to consider!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on May 26, 2009, 11:56:23 AM
Winter Dreams was one of the symphonies I spot checked in the big DG Karajan Symphonies box, and I did not care for the rather dull, artificial sound.  The Bruckner 5 in that box, for example, is a much better recording.

The bump gives me an opportunity to revise my opinion of the Karajan 70s recordings.  The sound can't really be called natural, but I don't find it too objectionable now, and the performances are enjoyable.

Scarpia

Karajan's Tchaikovsky is nicely done, the 60's recordings are my preference.

But for me the essential complete sets are Markevitch/LSO and Dorati (Mercury Living Presence).  Mavrinski is spectacular in 4-6.

Coopmv

This is one of the 5 complete symphonies sets I have.  I also have the Complete Symphonies by Maazel on open-reel tapes.  BTW, this Dorati set may be OOP ...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2010, 10:02:18 AM
My current favorites are the Svetlanov/Russian State SO cycle on Canyon. Recorded 'live' in Tokyo. On the downside, they are 1 symphony per disk with no filler. On the upside, they are worth it. :)

8)

This set here is the one I was mentioning earlier. Since I am not overrun with other sets (I have the Temirkanov and the Karajan) I don't have a great basis for comparison with other cycles. But this one is quite satisfactory and commendable. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
King (Oboe) \ Soroka (Violin) \ Stern (Viola) \ Kam (Viola0 \ Khoma (Cello) - Krommer Quintet #2 in Eb for Oboe & Strings 1st mvmt - Allegro moderato

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on November 16, 2010, 06:10:30 PM
6 cds and yet no Manfred? :'(

Actually, Sveltanov did record a Manfred Symphony, but this recording has been heavily criticized due to that it has been severely cut in playing time.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2010, 06:14:32 PM
Actually, Sveltanov did record a Manfred Symphony, but this recording has been heavily criticized due to that it has been severely cut in playing time.

Glad I never ran across it then! :)

No, I have Philharmonia / Muti  for the Manfred. It is a good recording to MY ears, although I have nothing to compare it to... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
The Island Quartet - Krommer Op 46 Quartet #1 in Bb for Bassoon & Strings 4th mvmt - Rondo

DavidW

Hmmm... well that explains that then! :D

MI, does Jansons' box contain the Manfred?

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on November 16, 2010, 06:27:28 PM
Hmmm... well that explains that then! :D

MI, does Jansons' box contain the Manfred?

Yes, it does and it's a wonderful performance.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2010, 06:51:01 PM

Yes, it does and it's a wonderful performance.

I think I need to add that box set to my to buy list.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 16, 2010, 06:25:04 PM
Glad I never ran across it then! :)

No, I have Philharmonia / Muti  for the Manfred. It is a good recording to MY ears, although I have nothing to compare it to... :)

8)

Yes, the Muti is quite good indeed. I own several Manfred Symphony recordings: Muti, Pletnev, Jansons, Masur, Tilson Thomas, Petrenko, Rostropovich, Chailly, and Jurowski.