Dmitri Kabalevsky (1904-1987)

Started by vandermolen, May 26, 2009, 06:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 12, 2021, 01:14:30 PM
I am in no position to say better or best regarding the Cello Sonata - but this is the performance that I first heard and it won me over completely;

goodness me these folk can play - great couplings too.....

Strange, I can't see the image.

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2021, 01:18:39 PM
Strange, I can't see the image.

Its the cellist Jelena Ocic on Channel Classics coupling Kabalevsky and Ginastera cello sonatas - very fine disc indeed......

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 13, 2021, 06:06:52 AM
Its the cellist Jelena Ocic on Channel Classics coupling Kabalevsky and Ginastera cello sonatas - very fine disc indeed......

Thanks!

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 12, 2021, 01:14:30 PM
I am in no position to say better or best regarding the Cello Sonata - but this is the performance that I first heard and it won me over completely;

goodness me these folk can play - great couplings too.....

I wasn't aware of this recording - thanks RS. What a great pairing of works - don't know the Senderovas though.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on July 13, 2021, 10:06:18 AM
I wasn't aware of this recording - thanks RS. What a great pairing of works - don't know the Senderovas though.

Genuinely its the only version of the Kabalevsky I know so if someone were to say "X or Y" is on a different level of performance I would accept that completely.  But to my innocent ear this sounds like a cracking performance and certainly one that convinced me of the high quality of the work.  And as you say the coupling(s) are interesting and powerful too....

Symphonic Addict

This is one of those moments where I just don't recall why I was forgotting the masterpiece of his Violin Concerto. My goodness, it's a real stunner, and just lasting 16 minutes long. Each movement contains their spark and charm, and wonderful tunes. What a rediscovery!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 21, 2022, 05:05:55 PM

This is one of those moments where I just don't recall why I was forgotting the masterpiece of his Violin Concerto. My goodness, it's a real stunner, and just lasting 16 minutes long. Each movement contains their spark and charm, and wonderful tunes. What a rediscovery!

Yep, an effortlessly charming work! In fact, I can't name a single work by Kabalevsky which I don't enjoy immensely. A remarkably consistent composer in my view.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 21, 2022, 05:05:55 PM

Oh, I must listen to the VC again - I tend to listen to Cello Concerto No,2 on that CD which I consider to be, arguably, his greatest work. Thanks to you and Kyle for reminding me of the Violin Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on February 21, 2022, 11:08:23 PM
Oh, I must listen to the VC again - I tend to listen to Cello Concerto No,2 on that CD which I consider to be, arguably, his greatest work. Thanks to you and Kyle for reminding me of the Violin Concerto.

You'll probably find that the VC lacks a sense of impending catastrophic doom, Jeffrey! :laugh:

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on February 22, 2022, 11:28:26 AM
You'll probably find that the VC lacks a sense of impending catastrophic doom, Jeffrey! :laugh:
Yes, it's probably too perky and upbeat for me Kyle  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2022, 10:15:50 PM
Yes, it's probably too perky and upbeat for me Kyle  ;D

Just play it at half-speed - that'll make most things sound catastrophic.........

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 23, 2022, 04:12:56 AM
Just play it at half-speed - that'll make most things sound catastrophic.........

Brilliant suggestion!
;D

vandermolen

Just playing this fine, doom-laden, defiant, optimistic work again (Symphony No.4 Leningrad PO/Kabalevsky) - tracking back through this thread I realise how much I miss the contributions of Colin and cilgwyn. Never mind - there is plenty still to appreciate here. I love the return of the doom-laden motto theme from the first movement just before the perky end of the symphony.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2022, 12:46:06 PM
Just playing this fine, doom-laden, defiant, optimistic work again (Symphony No.4 Leningrad PO/Kabalevsky) - tracking back through this thread I realise how much I miss the contributions of Colin and cilgwyn. Never mind - there is plenty still to appreciate here. I love the return of the doom-laden motto theme from the first movement just before the perky end of the symphony.

Count me in as another admirer of this great symphony (and as another member who misses Colin's and cilgwyn's contributions)! The doom-laden coda of the first movement is simply unforgettable - one of the many highlights of a stirring work. How does that Olympia recording compare to the one on CPO (the only one I've heard)?

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 10, 2022, 03:27:25 PM
Count me in as another admirer of this great symphony (and as another member who misses Colin's and cilgwyn's contributions)! The doom-laden coda of the first movement is simply unforgettable - one of the many highlights of a stirring work. How does that Olympia recording compare to the one on CPO (the only one I've heard)?
Hi Kyle,
In my opinion Kabalevsky's own recording (Olympia) has greater urgency and depth of feeling but the CPO version is the better recording and is also fine. I'm glad to own both recordings. The Olympias are now prohibitively expensive but Kabalevsky's own recording was also issued on a cheaper label. As a cellist I wonder what you think of the 2nd Cello Concerto.

Roy Bland

December 6 in the Small Philharmonic Hall as part of the St. Petersburg Music Festival. S.K. Gorkovenko, which is held with the support of the Committee for Culture of St. Petersburg, will host a concert "The Governor's Symphony - for Children." The compositions of the Soviet classic Dmitry Kabalevsky, together with the St. Petersburg Governor's Symphony Orchestra, will be performed by students of the famous ten-year music school in St. Petersburg.

The concert "The Governor's Symphony for Children" is dedicated to the work of the outstanding Russian composer Dmitry Kabalevsky, whose works over the past decades have been in the shadow of other Soviet classics and sound undeservedly rare. During his lifetime, Kabalevsky firmly established the reputation of a youth composer. He created dozens of works for the youngest listeners and performers, and all these scores are filled with the highest professionalism and deep ideas.

On December 6, the festival program will feature a triptych of instrumental concerts dedicated to the Soviet youth by the composer. The soloists will be talented young musicians - students of the Secondary Special Music School of the St. Petersburg Conservatory. N. A. Rimsky-Korsakov: Rodion Faruleev (cello), Anastasia Gorodnina (violin) and Daria Myachina (piano).

An additional emphasis is Fantasy for piano and orchestra on the theme of fantasy by F. Schubert, created by Kabalevsky based on the immortal composition of the Austrian classic in 1962. The premiere took place a year later in Italy, performed by Emil Gilels, but in Russia this work of rare and wondrous beauty is still unknown. Soloist - laureate of international competitions, teacher of the St. Petersburg Conservatory named after N. A. Rimsky-Korsakov Anna Shakina.

Roy Bland