Dmitri Kabalevsky (1904-1987)

Started by vandermolen, May 26, 2009, 06:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Sadly, David Measham died of cancer in 2005 aged 67 :(

Hungaroton reissued Lajtha's Symphonies Nos. 4 and 9 on cd conducted by Janos Ferencsik in rather better performances than the Marco Polo effort.

Oh...and thank you for your kind words regarding my musical knowledge ;D ;D

cilgwyn

I'm sorry to hear that,Dundonnell. A sad loss.

I shall have to keep an eye out for those Hungaroton cds. Lajtha,is,in my humble opinion,a little let down,at times,by the absence of truly memorable themes. Also,some of his symphonies seem more like suites. His music is also less distinctive than any of his better known contemporaries. Even Dohnanyi strikes me as having a more personal sound world. Having said that,at best,his uncluttered,orchestration has a cleansing,bracing quality to it which I do quite like. Symphonies 8 & 9 are not bad at all. The pick of the bunch!

cilgwyn

And now from our roving reporter at the GMG newsdesk,news of a new cd release,from CPO,of the 'Complete Works for Piano & Orchestra' by Dimitri Kabalevsky:

By dinasman at 2012-08-20

This 2cd release is scheduled for release on September 3rd!
And now back to the studio for some late noughts & crosses results.......

lescamil

Michael Korstick has done great work on other complete piano concerto sets. He should be great with these concertos. We particularly need another solid recording of the second concerto, in my opinion (yes, I've heard the Gilels and others). This is such great music that we can't have enough recordings of it.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

cilgwyn

Oh good,it sounds very promising,then! :) Their 2cd set of the symphonies was marvellous. So wonderful to be able to hear the Fourth Symphony in a really good,modern performance & recording. And let's not forget the 1st & even,the third (it fills out the 'picture'!)
The performance of the Second Symphony is the only performance I have enjoyed,other than the old deleted Measham one,on Unicorn,which I used to play allot as a teenager. It would be nice to see this reissued,incidentally! I remember borrowing the Olympia recording,from the library & thinking it was awful.
Naturally,after hearing this,I can't wait to hear the new integral set of the Piano Concerto's from cpo.
Nice cover design too,although,maybe not as appropriate as the design for the symphonies!

After that,I rather wish someone would reissue the Olympia set of his Colas Breugnon opera!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 21, 2012, 11:20:33 AM
Oh good,it sounds very promising,then! :) Their 2cd set of the symphonies was marvellous. So wonderful to be able to hear the Fourth Symphony in a really good,modern performance & recording. And let's not forget the 1st & even,the third (it fills out the 'picture'!)
The performance of the Second Symphony is the only performance I have enjoyed,other than the old deleted Measham one,on Unicorn,which I used to play allot as a teenager. It would be nice to see this reissued,incidentally! I remember borrowing the Olympia recording,from the library & thinking it was awful.
Naturally,after hearing this,I can't wait to hear the new integral set of the Piano Concerto's from cpo.
Nice cover design too,although,maybe not as appropriate as the design for the symphonies!

After that,I rather wish someone would reissue the Olympia set of his Colas Breugnon opera!

That old Unicorn LP with Measham conducting Symphony No 2 with Miaskovsky's No 21 was a great one. It would be great to see it reissued on CD. I'll pester Alto about it.  :D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on August 21, 2012, 01:06:33 PM
That old Unicorn LP with Measham conducting Symphony No 2 with Miaskovsky's No 21 was a great one. It would be great to see it reissued on CD. I'll pester Alto about it.  :D
Please do,Vandermolen! ;D

Great news about this set,though;although,maybe not for my pocket! :(
And,I know I might make myself unpopular now,but I wish they'd do the same for Khrennikov!
It seems to me that Khrennikov is a bit like Marmite. Either you love him or hate him! And I AM referring to his music,of course!!! :o ;D

I see they are currently debating the man himself on another classical music forum. Personally,I can't get enough of the Piano Concerto's!  There's just 'something' about them! Interesting to note that the person who is foremost in attacking TK,also (big suprise!) has a low opinion of his music! Surely,one can like Wagner's music,without worrying about the man himself! What must he think of Gombert?!!! :o ;D

cilgwyn

Listening to an Etta James album at the moment!
(shome mistake,ed! :o)

Its about time there was an alternative to those Chandos recordings. I wouldn't care to criticise the performances or recordings,but,if the performance of the second Symphony is anything to go by,I'm a bit dubious of their merits. They seem to lack fire & I know they have been criticised for this,elsewhere. At any rate,it's going to be nice to have a set that concentrates on the concerto's,themselves. Much as I like them (well,usually!) Chandos's inclusion of the 'Colas Breugnon overture' & 'The Comedians',is an unwelcome distraction,as far as this bunny is concerned! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 21, 2012, 02:33:44 PM
Please do,Vandermolen! ;D

Great news about this set,though;although,maybe not for my pocket! :(
And,I know I might make myself unpopular now,but I wish they'd do the same for Khrennikov!
It seems to me that Khrennikov is a bit like Marmite. Either you love him or hate him! And I AM referring to his music,of course!!! :o ;D

I see they are currently debating the man himself on another classical music forum. Personally,I can't get enough of the Piano Concerto's!  There's just 'something' about them! Interesting to note that the person who is foremost in attacking TK,also (big suprise!) has a low opinion of his music! Surely,one can like Wagner's music,without worrying about the man himself! What must he think of Gombert?!!! :o ;D

No go with Alto I'm afraid. The Unicorn catalogue has been sold to a rival company and they don't like CDs featuring different composers, nor do they want to duplicate Miaskovsky's 21st Symphony which they've already released under Svetlanov (with great notes  ;D). Other than that it's great news  8). I like Khrennikov's 2nd Symphony very much - it is very catchy and possesses depth in the slow movement - especially at the end.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on August 22, 2012, 08:11:23 AM
No go with Alto I'm afraid. The Unicorn catalogue has been sold to a rival company and they don't like CDs featuring different composers, nor do they want to duplicate Miaskovsky's 21st Symphony which they've already released under Svetlanov (with great notes  ;D). Other than that it's great news  8). I like Khrennikov's 2nd Symphony very much - it is very catchy and possesses depth in the slow movement - especially at the end.
Yes,I have heard something,somewhere about the notes! ;D Still,at least they had the courtesy to answer.Most do,mind.The only one that ever didn't,in my experience,was Nimbus! :(
  What about Regis? Or have they ceased to exist? (are they now,Alto?!) They reissued some cds of 'soviet'/Russian music. I have a certain preference towards one composer cds myself (although those old 'lollipop' style Lps,they used to do,years ago,were rather fun!) For some strange reason,those two very different symphonies complimented one another very well. In fact,when I bought the cd version,the inclusion of the 'Hamlet' music,felt like an unwelcome intrusion! Since the s/h cd,I bought, had a fault (I found out too late to get my money back! :( But I had the recordings! :)) I made a cdr & left that pesky 'Hamlet' intruder out! ;D

lescamil

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 22, 2012, 06:08:18 AM
Much as I like them (well,usually!) Chandos's inclusion of the 'Colas Breugnon overture' & 'The Comedians',is an unwelcome distraction,as far as this bunny is concerned! ;D

Completely agreed, even though The Comedians has some cute moments. They also left out the other three works for piano and orchestra! I've listened to samples of the Korstick and I already like it better than the others I've heard.

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

cilgwyn

The Comedians is great fun,when you're in the mood.But in between Concerto's? No! It just seems wrong! And yes,you can program it out;but it just doesn't 'feel' right,at least,when there are other works for piano & orchestra,you could include,instead. More importantly,for this kill joy;it spoils the mood! :o
The same goes for their inclusion of the Second Symphony. I do like that symphony. It really is rather good! But Chandos's flabby performance doesn't help! If it was of the calibre of the exciting,fiery Measham,yes. Or as good as the next best (by comparison,only!).....the cpo? Either way,cpo have got it right,again & good for them! :)
Well done cpo!

eyeresist

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 21, 2012, 11:20:33 AMThe performance of the Second Symphony is the only performance I have enjoyed,other than the old deleted Measham one,on Unicorn,which I used to play allot as a teenager. It would be nice to see this reissued,incidentally! I remember borrowing the Olympia recording,from the library & thinking it was awful.

Were you aware of this one?
[asin]B000007TQY[/asin]

Another thing we need is a modern recording of the Requiem. Or at least a reissue of the Olympia recording.

lescamil

Quote from: eyeresist on August 23, 2012, 06:04:47 PM
Another thing we need is a modern recording of the Requiem.

There is a new one on CPO, along with the rest of the symphonies, with Eiji Oue and the NDR Radiophilharmonie.

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

eyeresist

Quote from: lescamil on August 23, 2012, 07:39:13 PMThere is a new one on CPO, along with the rest of the symphonies, with Eiji Oue and the NDR Radiophilharmonie.

No, I'm not talking about Symphony No. 3. I'm talking about the later, much longer work.

lescamil

Quote from: eyeresist on August 23, 2012, 09:10:20 PM
No, I'm not talking about Symphony No. 3. I'm talking about the later, much longer work.

Duh, I knew that. I have that old Olympia release, but it has been collecting dust for a while. It might be high time to revisit it. Maybe CPO will eventually do this Requiem, too?

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 22, 2012, 08:56:33 AM
Yes,I have heard something,somewhere about the notes! ;D Still,at least they had the courtesy to answer.Most do,mind.The only one that ever didn't,in my experience,was Nimbus! :(
  What about Regis? Or have they ceased to exist? (are they now,Alto?!) They reissued some cds of 'soviet'/Russian music. I have a certain preference towards one composer cds myself (although those old 'lollipop' style Lps,they used to do,years ago,were rather fun!) For some strange reason,those two very different symphonies complimented one another very well. In fact,when I bought the cd version,the inclusion of the 'Hamlet' music,felt like an unwelcome intrusion! Since the s/h cd,I bought, had a fault (I found out too late to get my money back! :( But I had the recordings! :)) I made a cdr & left that pesky 'Hamlet' intruder out! ;D

Regis still exist - they just issued a highly regarded Shostakovich Symphony 11 (Mravinsky). I think that they are part of the same group as Alto - the CDs have a very similar appearance.

cilgwyn

A bit confusing,as they both seem to share similar repertory. If I was 'them' I'd go for Alto,it's catchier! ;D
They're so many labels now,it's hard to keep up! :( :)

I'm going to have to look at my 'message' settings,now. Apologies again,Vandermolen!

kyjo

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 04, 2013, 01:20:18 PM
New recording of Kabalevsky's two excellent cello concertos due out soon from CPO:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Dimitri-Kabalewsky-Cellokonzerte-Nr-1-2/hnum/4963360

Exciting news - thanks for alerting us. No 2 is his masterpiece, a work of considerable depth which changed my view of Kabalevsky.