Erik Satie

Started by Michel, May 31, 2007, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Regarding Satie's piano music, I have to agree with Hurwitz: it doesn't matter which one you get.

milk

Quote from: KevinP on October 02, 2022, 02:38:51 PM
Regarding Satie's piano music, I have to agree with Hurwitz: it doesn't matter which one you get.
Why not?

vers la flamme

Quote from: milk on October 03, 2022, 06:42:34 AM
Why not?

Also curious. There's a gulf of difference between, say, Reinbert de Leeuw and Aldo Ciccolini in Satie, to name a few of the popular guys.

SonicMan46

Quote from: KevinP on October 02, 2022, 02:38:51 PM
Quote from: milk on October 03, 2022, 06:42:34 AM
Why not?
Quote from: vers la flamme on October 03, 2022, 08:07:26 AM
Also curious. There's a gulf of difference between, say, Reinbert de Leeuw and Aldo Ciccolini in Satie, to name a few of the popular guys.

Years ago for Satie's Solo Piano Works, I started with Ciccolini and Roge, then more recently culled them out - their replacements shown below, i.e. Jean-Yves Thibaudet and Reinbert de Leeuw, the former for a 'complete' set and the latter for the early works; for those interested, reviews attached of the 5-disc Thibaudet offering.

Now as to the first comment above, I watched a Satie YouTube Video by Hurwitz, just under 2 mins of Satie's Gymnopédies, where he claims to own two shelves of these works and says that 'it makes no difference' - if the reference is to that video, then of not much use IMHO - Dave :)

milk

This and his selected works album. His take is different. I don't know anything about this artist. Who is he? Someone very famous maybe? I'm interested in what's informing his approach exactly. His Gnossiennes are fairly dramatic while his Sarabandes seem almost detached. I like the sound of his piano, very realistic. Satie's music is very emotional to me. Who hasn't heard these pieces a thousand times? Yet this brings it to light and differently. Newly. You couldn't use these performances on a soundtrack because they'd be too distracting. That's what I like about them.

Mandryka

Im not sure, when I was playing it I felt there was something special going on in it. He's recorded quite a bit of Satie by the look of things.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Albion

A stand-out disc for me is Hyperion CDH 55176 (formerly CDA 66365) which is a wonderful recording of ballets and orchestrations. Ronald Corp was clearly enthused by Satie's music

as he was by John Foulds for Dutton. Parade is a hoot, the Gymnopedies and Gnossiennes are splendid in these arrangements, the recording is vivid and the playing is sharp. Lovely!

:)

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

^ Hip cover art too!

Mandryka

Feeling down in the dumps? Here's the solution. Not the slightest whiff of faux-mysticism, it's like taking a holiday in Paris in the Spring (when they're not on strike and setting fire to bins and cars in the streets.)

Mandryka

Francine Kay turns up with the most beautiful interpretation of the nocturnes imaginable. I'd say the piano sounds almost unnaturally beautiful. I don't think that's a problem. Neither do I think her slow, reflective tempo choices are a problem - the music moves forward very nicely. It's a great piano recording this, generally, in every way. It has to be heard to be believed.

Good on her for choosing to record the complete set of nocturnes in the very limited Satie selection here. That shows that there are three people in the universe who think that the nocturnes are peak Satie - Francine Kay, Michael Finnissy and me.

Luke

Sorry, there are four, because I agree with you.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on August 23, 2023, 10:49:08 PM

Francine Kay turns up with the most beautiful interpretation of the nocturnes imaginable. I'd say the piano sounds almost unnaturally beautiful. I don't think that's a problem. Neither do I think her slow, reflective tempo choices are a problem - the music moves forward very nicely. It's a great piano recording this, generally, in every way. It has to be heard to be believed.

Good on her for choosing to record the complete set of nocturnes in the very limited Satie selection here. That shows that there are three people in the universe who think that the nocturnes are peak Satie - Francine Kay, Michael Finnissy and me.

Talking about the Nocturnes, I like these albums too- especially No. 4 in the pink album. These are the only Roge recordings I like.

Mandryka

Edgar Varèse singled out the Kyrie of Satie's Messe des Pauvres as a big influence. Is there a decent recording of the whole thing?

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Mandryka on September 02, 2023, 01:50:33 AMEdgar Varèse singled out the Kyrie of Satie's Messe des Pauvres as a big influence. Is there a decent recording of the whole thing?

Qobuz has several.

Mandryka

AnotherSpin

Atriod

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 30, 2023, 05:06:51 PMTalking about the Nocturnes, I like these albums too- especially No. 4 in the pink album. These are the only Roge recordings I like.

I agree these are superb. Have you heard Pascal Roge with Mie Kobayashi in Faure's Violin Sonatas?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 30, 2023, 05:06:51 PMTalking about the Nocturnes, I like these albums too- especially No. 4 in the pink album. These are the only Roge recordings I like.

Regarding the Satie/Rogé recordings, I don't know those particular recordings, but do enjoy his Saint-Saëns piano concerto recordings and also (if my memory is recalling correctly) also his recordings of Ravel's works for solo piano.  Have you heard those by any chance?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 11, 2023, 06:17:30 AMRegarding the Satie/Rogé recordings, I don't know those particular recordings, but do enjoy his Saint-Saëns piano concerto recordings and also (if my memory is recalling correctly) also his recordings of Ravel's works for solo piano.  Have you heard those by any chance?

PD

I will check the Saint-Saëns. I have the Ravel recording.